PDA

View Full Version : Vise Jaw Faces

Ivan in Oz
25th January 2008, 12:51 PM
G'day Ppl,

What is the GO with the Top of WoodVise Jaw-Faces?
Should they be LEVEL with the Top of the Work Bench?

Also which are the prefered ones ATM

Looking for 8 or 9 inch.

Ta,
Ivan

ATM...@ the Moment

thumbsucker
25th January 2008, 01:26 PM

Yes, that way the vice will not get in the way of the objects you are laying on your bench, also you can add a dog to your vice chop and get more work holding options.

Also which are the prefered ones ATM

Old Titans are always popular, if money is no option then the Veritas Twin Screw (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=45114&cat=1,41659)gets good reviews.

Wongo
25th January 2008, 01:34 PM

No it should be at least 10 cm higher than the bench. :p

Oh Ivan I am terrible. :q

jerryc
25th January 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm with thumbsucker on this one. Have to ask Wongo, what is your reason for raising the jaw height?

Jerry

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Wongo
25th January 2008, 01:46 PM
So the vice will get in the way every time you lay something on the bench. :doh: A bit slow today Jerry? :D

Rookie
25th January 2008, 01:46 PM
No it should be at least 10 cm higher than the bench. :p

<INSERT here emoticon? cheek in ?tongue>If Wongo had a tongue in cheek emoticon it would probably be inserted about here :roll:

wheelinround
25th January 2008, 01:53 PM
Just don't do what I saw at a visit to a Men's Shed install it upside down :doh:

The go ask 5 blokes who were all professionals if thats ok and they agree :doh:

jerryc
25th January 2008, 06:25 PM
Wongo,

Humour is an odd and often personal thing. I should have been warned when, in the finishing section, you advised Elise to sand back her beautifully finished table and apply polyurethane. Not slow Wongo, just a different approach to humour.
Now I know that I must treat anything you say as "humour" and not to be taken seriously at all. So be it.

Jerry

Wongo
26th January 2008, 12:34 AM
beautifully finished table

With a white ring on it? Not very beautiful is it?:rolleyes:

Ivan in Oz
26th January 2008, 07:54 AM
Oh Ivan I am terrible. :q

So you tell me.
BUT
You are joshing:?.......I believe EVERYTHING you say:;

Has anyone have any knowledge of these:-
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOOLEX-Wood-Workshop-Bench-Quickset-VICE-9-JAWS-NEW_W0QQitemZ260205438154QQihZ016QQcategoryZ79108QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Local and Cheap.........or should I say "Not to expensive"?

Also;
What is the best way to mount...................FIX these?
Bolt through the Bench:?
or Coach Screws?

rrich
26th January 2008, 08:04 AM
Ivan,

When I installed the vise on my bench, I set the metal jaws 5-10mm below of the bench top. Then when I put the facing material on the vise jaws I made it level with the bench top. BIG MISTAKE.

My bench is also part of the table saw infeed table on the left side of the blade. When cutting thin sheet goods, the sheet almost always catches on the vise jaw facing.

If you use your bench as part of an infeed table, you need to consider this problem.

jerryc
26th January 2008, 08:25 AM
rrich,

If your sheet goods sag that much consider a simple ramp held by the vice jaws or even a horizontal roller frame held in the jaws. Your problem has nowt to do with the height of the vice relative to the bench.

Jerry

Ivan in Oz
26th January 2008, 09:03 AM
Ivan,
When I installed the vise on my bench, I set the metal jaws 5-10mm below of the bench top. Then when I put the facing material on the vise jaws I made it level with the bench top. BIG MISTAKE.

Rrich,
Thanks,
How do you think QUICK removable faces would work?

I am thinking recessed Bolt or Rod into the Timber, and;
What I call a Minsup Clip or Pin,
even an "E"clip; though these would be more difficult to remove quickly.