PDA

View Full Version : New/ Beginner Saw

Woodchuck
14th December 2003, 07:59 PM
Hiya All,

Just wondering if anyone uses the Ryobi, GMC or Delta variable speed scrolling saws & what you think of them as a cheap unit for the wife to play/learn on ? & what is the better type of fitting for the blades ?

Cheers
Woodchuck

Dean
14th December 2003, 09:40 PM
Delta Review here: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/deltass250.htm

Preferaably, you want a saw that can take pinless blades because there is so much more variety and quality in the type of pinless blades you can buy. A quick blade change function helps a great deal as well, especially for inside cuts.

Variable speed is handy if you plan on cutting more than just wood.

Sprog
15th December 2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Woodchuck
Hiya All,

Just wondering if anyone uses the Ryobi, GMC or Delta variable speed scrolling saws & what you think of them as a cheap unit for the wife to play/learn on ? & what is the better type of fitting for the blades ?

Cheers
Woodchuck

Out of the three the Delta is by far the best.
It is best to learn on a decent saw. Cheap saws have a lot of vibration something a learner doesn't need on top of trying to master scroll sawing.
Pinless blades come in much smaller sizes then pinned so go for a saw that takes pinless blades (or both)
Do not buy any scroll saw without trying it first, some are terrible to use.

minis4meau
17th December 2003, 09:08 AM
DELTA, DELTA, DELTA. I agree with this advice and I am a woodworker of the female sex.
I previously owned a Rexon, which was a lovely quiet machine and served me well for 6 years but ooh, it was a pain using that little Allen key.
The Delta makes life a breeze.
Barbara

fxst
18th December 2003, 11:39 AM
the king of them all...........HEGNER:D

Sprog
18th December 2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by fxst
the king of them all...........HEGNER:D

And a kings ransom need to buy one :D

minis4meau
18th December 2003, 02:14 PM
If only I had that King's randsom. I can but dream. Until then, I repeat, Delta!

DavidW
18th December 2003, 06:30 PM
Woodchuck,

Go the Delta (see my comments in the previous post) its the best beginers saw IMHO.

Its not worth spending mega $$$$ unless you are going to get into scrolling in a big way, even then the Delta will give you a good start.

Just stay away from the cheapies, I speak....er.... write from experience.