PDA

View Full Version : Home made boats REGISTRATION

archie1979
26th January 2008, 05:55 PM
Just another quick one on boat registration and seaworthinjess

Does anyone have a link or info on what is required by state law in nsw for the registration and what is required to make the boat seaworthy

Cheers

Archie

wayfarer
26th January 2008, 07:51 PM
This page (http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/rego.html) has what you're asking?

If not maybe a phone call to one of these guys (http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/bcagents.html) might help.

soundman
27th January 2008, 12:44 AM
I'm also interested In what you have to do to get a self constructed boat,"suitably Compliant"

neither of thise links have anythinh to say about the matter.

Boat code is simply an identification sceme....to my knoweledge nothing to do with compliance.

For larger vessels I would expect they would need to be surveyed.

Smaller vessels suchs as canoes and with very small outboards, the matter problay doesnt arrise

cheers

Boatmik
27th January 2008, 01:09 PM
In NSW and other states now you need a builder's plate.

Just get one made up with the info required from the plan or the designer.

Basically if the information seems sensible they will tick the box on their form to show it is attached.

MIK

Aquamarine
29th May 2008, 11:29 AM
Assuming you are talking about a power boat, an ABP is required.

Yes talk to the designer to get the figures if you can. Remember that in the absence of you engaging a 'competent person' to perform calculations/testing, you as the builder will be taking responsibility for the information on the ABP. Any variations from the original design could change the figures required to be displayed on an ABP, that is why some kit boat designers/makers don't provide an ABP as part of the process, as they have no guarantee that their plans have been sufficiently followed.

Otherwise, you can engage a 'competent person' (as defined in the legislation) to sign off on the ABP. Their name and the capacity in which they approved the information will be lsited at the bottom of the ABP.

You also need to ensure that the plate meets the requirement of the ABP Standard.

Seaworthiness can be determined by an appropriate professional. Indeed an insurer may require a declaration of seaworthiness by a marine surveyor before offering to insure your boat.

You should be able to kill two birds with one stone by getting the ABP and survey report/seaworthiness statement done by the same person.

On a simpler note, if it is a sailing boat, then you don't need an ABP!

Given your concern about seaworthiness, you might also like to consider whether the boat has basic or level flotation. Level is a higher standard, that is normally able to be reached without too much fuss for timber boats.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Antony
marine.net.au

Boatmik
29th May 2008, 03:44 PM
This is a bit of an old discussion (in terms of date)

The fuller version is here

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=30022&highlight=australian+builder%27s+plate

Best wishes
Michael