PDA

View Full Version : Vermec chuck review

TTIT
27th January 2008, 11:30 PM
Got the Vermec chuck a couple of weeks ago but between the rain and floods and trying to extend the shed I haven't had a chance to give it much of a workout yet :C . Like all Vermec's gear, the precision engineering is obvious as soon as you pull it out of the box. The chuck arrives with a set of standard dovetailed jaws fitted, your choice of headstock spindle adaptor, a 12mm T-bar, 4mm Allen-key, a screw chuck to fit in the standard jaws and a tommy-bar for the adaptor. The rear of the chuck has a very precisely machined set of indexing holes which will accomodate up to 144 positions using the optional bed mounted indexing plate (not required on my Vermec stubby as it already has 144 position indexing built in). The pinions are angled back toward the headstock slighly to facilitate reverse mounting of deeper bowls (has been handy already!). The chuck will accept Teknatool jaws, Vicmark jaws (once drilled to 6mm) and of course Vermecs own range of jaws. Pic#4 shows a standard Vicmark jaw on the bottom left and a standard Teknatool bottom right.
In use, the quality of this chuck really screams at you - very little play, no rattles and very smooth movement along the entire adjustment and even at 3000r.p.m there's no vibration at all :U.
The only thing I'm dissapointed with is the surface of the jaws which is polished where the prototype had a bead-blasted type finish which would have gripped better but what the hell - it's a beautiful piece of machinery anyway. At $269 ex-gst, I don't reckon you can't go past it for a heavy duty chuck.:2tsup:

Usual disclaimer - no interest in the company except that of a very happy customer.

Harry72
28th January 2008, 07:40 AM
Nice... and very tempting!

RETIRED
28th January 2008, 07:45 AM
trying to extend the shed IWhich way? Up?:wink::D

OGYT
28th January 2008, 08:40 AM
Nice lookin' chuck, alright! I notice three screw holes for mounting jaws, but only two holes in the jaws. Does that mean you can get some larger jaws with three-screw mounting... sort of like the Powergrip jaws for the Titan?
Good report, Vern.

TTIT
28th January 2008, 10:27 AM
Nice lookin' chuck, alright! I notice three screw holes for mounting jaws, but only two holes in the jaws. Does that mean you can get some larger jaws with three-screw mounting... sort of like the Powergrip jaws for the Titan?
Good report, Vern.The furthest hole and the innermost holes are for Vermecs own range of jaws Al - a bit beefier than those from the 100mm range of chucks.:U

robyn2839
28th January 2008, 10:53 AM
hi vern does the chuck accept tecnatool jaws? , and if so will tecnatool chucks accept vermec jaws? bob

Pat
28th January 2008, 11:12 AM
Bob, took me a little while to find it, but it's there . . . .
The chuck will accept Teknatool jaws

rsser
28th January 2008, 05:36 PM
will tecnatool chucks accept vermec jaws? bob

Not without adapter plates Bob. Vermec make them; Garry Pye retails a version too. $30 - 40 from memory.

artme
28th January 2008, 06:24 PM
Wish my pockets were deeper.:doh::doh:

scooter
28th January 2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the review, Vern. :) Nice looking unit.

The standard jaws look meatier than the stock tecnatool jaws, & look deeper too?

How heavy is it?

Big Shed
28th January 2008, 09:30 PM
Nice looking bit of engineering there Vern, looks abit bigger and heavier than my Nova G3:)

Specially like the indexing on the back, that's cool.:2tsup:

The thread adapter looks identical to the one C/tec supplied with my G3.

robyn2839
28th January 2008, 10:07 PM
Not without adapter plates Bob. Vermec make them; Garry Pye retails a version too. $30 - 40 from memory.

thats exactly what i thought, so why does the vermec chuck accept teknatool jaws ?, shouldn,t it need adaptors as well?, just curious

.......bob...

TTIT
28th January 2008, 10:38 PM
..........The standard jaws look meatier than the stock tecnatool jaws, & look deeper too?

How heavy is it?The jaws are about 2mm deeper and definitely meatier as you say.
How did I know that if I didn't weigh it, someone would ask :roll:. A bees tit over 3kg Scooter - you know when it's in your hand that's for sure!

thats exactly what i thought, so why does the vermec chuck accept teknatool jaws ?, shouldn,t it need adaptors as well?, just curious

.......bob...On the Vermec chuck, the positioning grooves on the jaw carriers has the same outside diameter as the Teknatool and the inside diameter of the Vicmarc - less than 1mm difference (don't know why they bothered to be honest! :~ ). Simply put, the diameter of the positioning ring is about 0.5mm bigger on the Teknatool jaw carriers than it is on the Vicmarc. If you were game, you could open the groove up on your own Teknatool or Vicmarc chuck to allow either brand of jaws to be fitted - just don't know how hard the carrier steel is to tackle it with hand held chisels :shrug:

TTIT
28th January 2008, 11:38 PM
Which way? Up?:wink::DOnly place left mate! - a couple of metres on the back for wood storage - only put the concrete down 2 years ago - can't rush these things :;

RETIRED
29th January 2008, 07:50 AM
Only place left mate! - a couple of metres on the back for wood storage - only put the concrete down 2 years ago - can't rush these things :;I know that feeling.