PDA

View Full Version : Camphor laurel

bowl-basher
28th January 2008, 01:16 PM
G'Day All
:Cthis may be a fools erand but here goes
I am trying to find a bit of Camphor laurel 650mm x 650mm x25mm dry blank I would prefer high colour but any port in a storm
the project is a large lazysusan for a big (10 seater BBQ table)
happy to pay cost and freight to sydney
Graham

BernieP
28th January 2008, 02:36 PM
G'Day Graham

Welcome aboard. Thought I had some big Camphor logs but 300mm stops them, have you thought of making one for each end of the table?

Cheers
Bernie

wheelinround
28th January 2008, 04:28 PM
BB do a search this forum for Camphor some one up north is bring some down soon as close as N/castle if I recall.

here's one http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=64024&highlight=camphor

try Greg Ward Sydney http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=61881&highlight=camphor

or here's a fellow with 90h http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=63839&highlight=camphor
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=63838&highlight=camphor

bowl-basher
28th January 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the links I am trying to get a dry blank as I need the thing asap I sugested one for each end of the table but she who must be obayed and the daughter (the owner of the table) have their little female minds made up so I will keep looking

artme
28th January 2008, 06:20 PM
Basher you might have to consider gluing smaller piesces together if time is a problem.:)

ss_11000
28th January 2008, 11:36 PM
have you tried trend timbers at windsor?
also the specialty wood cntre at toronto had a fair bit of camphor last time i was there:)

Harry72
29th January 2008, 09:33 AM
I did one with CL a while back 590mm in dia... warped like buggery:( ended up laminating some jarrah instead.

weisyboy
29th January 2008, 07:52 PM
i would say that camphot would warp to mutch at sutch a thin diamater.

even kiln dryed camphor will warp if exposed to sun, watter or heat at that thickness. however you could use laminated camphor and this ould fix the problem.
it could be laminated in many patterns to make it look great.

funkychicken
29th January 2008, 10:42 PM
My boss can probably cut a bit off a log we have...but it's green, 4ft dia, and all endgrain.

bowl-basher
30th January 2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks I think I will take the easy way out and buy a lam.pine sanded 600mm round from "bunnings" an get a bit creative with the wood stain and 2 part finish:((:((:((
thanks all
Graham

weisyboy
30th January 2008, 07:49 PM
not pine anything but pine:C.

i would say you have made the right decision steering away from solid camphor but please use anything but the devils wood.:2tsup:

wheelinround
30th January 2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=666281&postcount=3

Newcastle Camphor slabs

robyn2839
30th January 2008, 10:25 PM
i made a shallow platter 480 diameter with 25 ml side its only about 8 - 10 ml thick and hasn,t looked like moving. .i like the laminating idea, think it would solve the problem and look good as well.
............bob.............

wheelinround
31st January 2008, 09:06 AM
I was watching a fellow turn a beaut camphor bowl yesterday sorry no pic's didn't take camera it had split and had been glued grain and colour were fantastic.

robutacion
31st January 2008, 05:30 PM
not pine anything but pine:C.

i would say you have made the right decision steering away from solid camphor but please use anything but the devils wood.:2tsup:

I weisyboy,
Sorry to butt-in but, I'm curious about your comment on pine.
You obviously got some bad experiences with it, reason why I'm asking you to give us an idea why you hate it so much. I am perfectly aware that lots of other people don't like it either, but I tent to believe that some of these people were put off of pine by someone else that didn't like it for reasons that they can't explain themselves, so this means that a large number of people that claim that they don't like pine, do so not because they actually had any bad experiences (different from any other timber species), but rather by someone else's opinions.

Now, I don't want to play silly politics about this matter, nor I claim that, pine (any of the common 4 or 5 species available), is better than other woods. We all know that every timber species have it's own characteristics, some good, some bad and some in between but, I wouldn't like to live in a World, with-out any pine trees species.
Obviously I have a great connection to pine timbers, and I've done successful jobs, that wouldn't be possible to have been done by anything else. Anyway, as I said before, my question is a simple one, to Weisyboy as a result of his very confident feelings toward pine, so please mate, can you give me (us) the reasons why you hate it that much? no offense intented!

Please everyone, lets keep this in the context of the question asked, with fairness and common sense, and hopefully we all learn something out of it.

I just realised and believe, other people will be attempted to respond or give their opinions on the subject in this thread, but please do not do so, I am starting a new thread immediately on the subject, where everyone can have a go, without hijacking this thread.

Sorry bowl-basher, for my intervention, but the comment in this thread created my curiosity and necessity to discuss the matter further. I apologise for my methods.

Cheers
RBTCO

artme
31st January 2008, 05:50 PM
Attitudes to pine vary.
The Scandanavians tend to like Pinus Radiata because it yellows. We Australians tend to dislike it because it is "common and cheap".
I personally like lots of the pines, Hoop, Bunya,Cypress, Baltic, Kauri.
used with a bit of imagination even Radiata can look classy.
If laminated pine is your thing the go for it!:):):q