PDA

View Full Version : Made myself a 3 point steady.

JDarvall
28th January 2008, 05:06 PM
Got the gist of the idea off the net.

Not entirely finished. I have to drill/tap holes to bolt it down.
I've just clamped it down here to give it a bit of a go.

There 10mm rods that slide in grooves I've routed into thick ply. Covered to lock them in, with threaded inserts/turn screws to tighten the rods up.

On the end of each rod there's a skateboard bearing.

Just wanted to be able to detail thin spindles, without the whip.

I'm happy with it. Thinking now maybe I should have made 2 steadys. Since I had all the tools out.

Also going to rout out a groove somewhere in the back of the fence a bit, to fit the lower bearing, so I can bring the fence closer.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th January 2008, 05:37 PM
I'm happy with it. Thinking now maybe I should have made 2 steadys. Since I had all the tools out.

:yes:

artme
28th January 2008, 06:23 PM
:U:U:q

wheelinround
28th January 2008, 06:54 PM
:2tsup: better than my bought one

JDarvall
28th January 2008, 07:10 PM
:D ta.

well, it works at least. First time I've ever used one. Felt a bit weird being able to turn cleanly in the middle of such a thin stick. I thought....this is just sexxxxy.

I was a bit worried about the marks it was making on the wood. but it didn't seem to run too deep...bit of sandpaper seemed to remove it.

Still gota get some decent lathe tools though.

Got any other ideas, I'm all ears.

hughie
28th January 2008, 08:31 PM
I'm happy with it.

thats all that counts! :2tsup:

if the marks bother you try using roller blade wheels

joe greiner
28th January 2008, 09:43 PM
Looks quite sturdy, Jake. I made one a while back with steel wheels. Bizarre framing, and I can't find pix right now. Like you, I was concerned about marking the timber but found that a light sanding made everything right. I'd tried to put tyres on the wheels, but they wouldn't stay on. I recently made a four-wheeler with roller blade wheels; it's currently on shakedown cruise, and subject to modifications. Pix in a week or two (I hope).

Joe

JDarvall
28th January 2008, 10:59 PM
yep....was thinking maybe I should buy a new cheap skateboard (can get for about $10) or one of those scooter things, just for the new wheels. But ended up just ripping the bearings out of an old one. Might try that next steady.

What I'm ultimately trying to do, is find a way of setting a steady/s that I don't need to adjust all the time, to get the spindle in and out of. So I can just churn them out quickly. I'll have to do some experimenting to see if maybe 2 sets of only 2 wheel steadys would work well enough.

Anycase, look forward to seeing that 4 wheel steady. Whats a shakedown cruise Joe ?

joe greiner
28th January 2008, 11:44 PM
yep....was thinking maybe I should buy a new cheap skateboard (can get for about $10) or one of those scooter things, just for the new wheels. But ended up just ripping the bearings out of an old one. Might try that next steady.

What I'm ultimately trying to do, is find a way of setting a steady/s that I don't need to adjust all the time, to get the spindle in and out of. So I can just churn them out quickly. I'll have to do some experimenting to see if maybe 2 sets of only 2 wheel steadys would work well enough.

Anycase, look forward to seeing that 4 wheel steady. Whats a shakedown cruise Joe ?

Same as with a newly-launched ship: Find out where I stuffed up in design and construction.:)

Skateboard wheels should be fine for constant-diameter work, but the donut-shaped roller blade wheels better accommodate varying diameter such as shallow coves and bowlish shapes.

Joe

wheelinround
29th January 2008, 07:45 AM
Here you go ideal for small jobs such as your AT

http://www.lincolnsentry.com.au/ScaledImage.aspx?img=Images/Products/Rollers/IMG_0043-1.jpg&scaleW=400&scaleH=0&clipW=0&clipH=0&clipX=0&clipY=0

in case that doesn't work the main page
http://www.lincolnsentry.com.au/Product.aspx?id=1298

screen door rollers nice size have seen these at Home Hardware not cheap about $22 a set they have bearings and are small diameter

Solutions Aust
29th January 2008, 12:55 PM
Got the gist of the idea off the net.

Not entirely finished. I have to drill/tap holes to bolt it down.
I've just clamped it down here to give it a bit of a go.

There 10mm rods that slide in grooves I've routed into thick ply. Covered to lock them in, with threaded inserts/turn screws to tighten the rods up.

On the end of each rod there's a skateboard bearing.

Just wanted to be able to detail thin spindles, without the whip.

Also going to rout out a groove somewhere in the back of the fence a bit, to fit the lower bearing, so I can bring the fence closer.

Great job and well done.
If you are concerned by the marks left from the steel roller bearings or the loud running noise consider specially designed plastic covered rollers that also run very quiet.

Regards
Woodfast Aust
www.woodfast.com.au:):)

wheelinround
29th January 2008, 02:03 PM
That web site has them as does Home Hardware as I said double checked this morning prices start at $8 approx

JDarvall
29th January 2008, 07:00 PM
Ta.

Those wheels look perfect. Thanks mate.
Keep them in mind next steady.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th January 2008, 08:34 PM
thats all that counts! :2tsup:

if the marks bother you try using roller blade wheels

Rollerblade wheels or, depending on how "curvy" your spindles are, the polyu skateboard wheels.

Either way, get the ones with bearings, not the cheap "run on bushes" ones unless you like headaches.

Mine have all been scavenged from the roadside on council hard-garbage days. (About the only thing I do like about suburbia. :roll:)

A 3-wheel steady can be easily made to do this.

Imagine a U-shaped frame with wheels mounted on slides in the two bottom corners.

At the top of one arm of the U, hinge an bar carrying the third wheel/slide assembly and when it's in position use a pin to lock the other end of the bar into the top of other arm of the U.

To remove a spindle, simply remove the pin and swing the arm with top bearing out of the way.

If you're putting so much tension on the wheels that the lock pin is hard to remove then you're using too much tension... it's only a steady, not a press. :; I also like to use wingnuts for the bolts holding the slides, so they're quick to adjust without needing to eff around looking for a spanner.

So I'm lazy. What else is new? :shrug:

JDarvall
30th January 2008, 06:28 AM
ta Skew. I suppose its not that difficult now that I think about it. I suppose I'd have to adjust the thing anyway after roughing in, so I don't know what I was thinking.

reminded constantly to justify my use of things. I just can't enjoy it, I've got to make money from it :rolleyes: (just the wife nagging. never mind)