PDA

View Full Version : live center with 1/2 inch thread rather than MT

dimma20
28th January 2008, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I have recently purchased a small lathe from an old clock maker/repairer. It is fairly basic (indeed primative is probably a more apt description). Anyway my problem is the tailstock has a threaded insert (1/2 inch or perhaps 13mm). When I obtained it there was only a dead center. I was wondering if anyone could assist with a solution to get a live center. I can't locate anything on the internet other than Mortice Taper type. Can anyone help. I am a novice in the woodturning stakes.

Thanks,

John.:rolleyes:

robyn2839
28th January 2008, 09:59 PM
hi john i think i understand what you mean,when you wind the tailstock there is just thread,so if you were to turn the end to accept a bearing then a cap to fit outside of bearing then a centre fitted to it, similar to some of those cheap lathes like gmc, if you look at one of those you will see what i mean, i will try to get a photo of one if you like . bob

dimma20
28th January 2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks Bob - a photo would be helpful. Regards, John.

joe greiner
29th January 2008, 12:16 AM
It sounds like the tailstock spindle is essentially a threaded stud with a pointed end; perhaps with a handwheel at the outboard end. Dead centers are common in older metal and wood lathes, especially clockworking lathes. I got quite a few introductory miles out of my 1929 Delta with its dead center. Lubrication is the key. Squirt some WD40 or such at the penetration point frequently, and re-tighten as needed. I reckon it would take a lot of machine work to adapt a live center. Might be better to establish your taste for the sport with what you have (allowing for its perceived shortcomings), and upgrade to a more sophisticated lathe when/if.

Joe

dimma20
29th January 2008, 07:57 AM
Thank you Joe - good advice. You are spot on with your description and given I paid only 50 bucks and got at least half a dozen good chicels with it I agree it is better to persevere for now. Also the lathe is very basic so would not warrant a great deal of investment given its other limitations.

Thanks again. John.

Hickory
29th January 2008, 09:34 AM
I have turned miles of timber with a dead center, cup center and cone shaped pointy thingy on the end. Lubrication is the answer (as was previously spoken. I use Bee's Wax or bar of soap, or paste wax. But never used WD40 as it will soak into the wood. (and stain) Just allow enough waste on the end to permit cutting off the hole and burnt end.
<!-- / message -->

orraloon
29th January 2008, 12:13 PM
Nothing wrong with a dead center just have to lubricate with wax from time to time and retighten as required. A dead center gives a good steady hold on the work. Some of the lower end live centers have play in the bearings and can cause vibration. I would like to see a pic of the lathe if possible.

Regards
john

dimma20
29th January 2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone for great advice -really appreciated. I was a bit hesitant about the dead center but now will proceed with renewed confidence...and a little lubricant of course!

Thanks again - will post a pic if I get a chance in the coming weeks.

Cheers,

John. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
29th January 2008, 09:26 PM
Piccies would be good
some of us like looking at old tools:)

joe greiner
29th January 2008, 11:41 PM
Piccies would be good
some of us like looking at old tools:)

Yes. Known in some circles as "tool p0rn."

Joe