PDA

View Full Version : charcoal filter for spirits

Farm boy
29th January 2008, 02:31 PM
Can anyone help
Has anyone got plans for a charcoal filter please to run my spirits through or is just as easy to buy one from a home brew store
thanks
greg

ernknot
30th January 2008, 07:19 PM
It is illegal in Australia to make your own spirits. You will have the customs boys on your door step if you are not careful.

echnidna
30th January 2008, 07:26 PM
hes making alcohol ter run his mower on

Big Shed
30th January 2008, 08:52 PM
It is illegal in Australia to make your own spirits. You will have the customs boys on your door step if you are not careful.

Plumbing nazis, electrical nazis, what now, moonshine nazis?:(

fxst
31st January 2008, 12:32 AM
buy the 'Z' filter and you will need the filter carbon too. Not the same as charcol. Don't ask how I know :D
Pete

Buzza
1st February 2008, 11:33 PM
I heard of a bloke that ran it through the following.

Clear plastic tubing, joined into three filters from the drip irrigation department in the hardware store, and three little paper filters to put in the bottom of each filter.

He removed the plastic solids filter from within, and then packed the charcoal into each filter body, using the paper filter in the bottom to stop the charcoal falling out. This is a slow process, but that is what it is supposed to bem as the charcoal removes a lot of the nasties. His was about a metre long when it was set up, so the top barreal is gairly high in order for it to drip into the lower barrel. Maybe I can get a picture of it . . ..
The Z filter is a huge outlay IMHO. So is a bottle capper, but I got one anyhow. The right tools for the right job I guess.

ernknot
3rd February 2008, 07:45 PM
I take offence at the word nazi. My family and I suffered under their regime. Call me anything you want except nazi.
My point was to let farm boy know that what he intends to do is not legit. If you have a problem with that Big Shed then that is your problem. What I say does not prevent farm boy from doing what he intends to do. If a mere tounge in cheek comments sets you off to villify a person then I think you should have a look at yourself and I hope feel ashamed.

watson
3rd February 2008, 07:53 PM
OK fellers ,
Settle down...........

Farm boy
4th February 2008, 09:20 AM
as echidna said i am running my mower on it
i have gained some information on the subject and have satisfied my curiosity.
i have got a question on guiness or stout but will start another thread
thanks guys

Andy Mac
4th February 2008, 09:41 AM
I don't think it is illegal to make spirits in Australia, they sell the gear to do it here.:? Please anyone confirm that, though I'm sure its illegal to distill it for profit?
Most of the stuff I've had offered is pretty basic spirit much like a vodka, but with flavoured additives- instant whisky- from brew shops. I'm not a spirits drinker and this home made stuff hasn't done anything to change my opinion!!:p

EDIT: Just answered my own question. It is illegal to make it, despite the equipment, supplies and info being readily available...at any brew supply shop in the country! Apparently its OK to have a still but only to make essences or some such garb. WALOC! A bit like buying a lumpy cam and huge carbies but not being able to fit them to a car on the road...

Bleedin Thumb
4th February 2008, 09:45 AM
In my experience anything that is illegal is either more fun or tastes better

echnidna
4th February 2008, 10:28 AM
AFAIK a still is legal in oz if its less than 4.5 litres, though that may have changed.

Buzza
4th February 2008, 11:25 PM
Running a still in Australia is ILLEGAL.

If it contains a small amount of product when you get busted, prosecution may not be pursued to the enth degree. Over 4 litres of Moonshine, and you will be charged for sure. It is also a Federal Offence, which is very nasty.

Considering the end result is very cheap booze, and does not taste anything like the real stuff, is your house and all other assets worth it?

Sorry to disagree on that point B. T. but I guess it could be fun to do a Jed Clampett Night.

If it manages to catch fire, your insurance company will laugh all the way to the bank, and yes, it does burn. :oo:

Big Shed, you may like to look up the Mulligatawny Soup Recipe that was featured in a SEINFELD episode once. I'm sure it is still on the net somewhere. :wink:

Bleedin Thumb
5th February 2008, 09:20 AM
Well I have had some fairly pleasant tasting Poitin - (Poteen or Potcheen). I must admit though, that the hangover is so bad it doesn't warrant the exercise.

OK that's not quite true I would still partake if it was offered.:B:doh:

Buzza
6th February 2008, 10:35 PM
AAAaaaahhhh the potcheen, now dat's different story altogether.

A proper still mainly the the type called a Pot Still is used.

The homebrew turned out in N.Z. and Australia these days comes comes from a reflux still. Tis' the safest way for the home Tax Dodger to go, but it makes a vodka or clear spirit. It's then broken down by about half by adding the same amount of water. After that, the home brewer goes to a shop and gets a bottle of flavouring to mix into the vodka he or she has made. Bourbon for instance, never tastes the same nor does the scotch.

However, it makes for a very cheap party night with lots of fun and falling down. :2tsup:

Don't reply with a "Don't call me a tax dodger" line please. :no:

Bleedin Thumb
7th February 2008, 10:00 AM
Don't reply with a "Don't call me a tax dodger" line please. :no:

We are all tax dodgers - its the Aussie way of life.

Buzza
7th February 2008, 11:36 PM
I said don't . . .

WELL YES we are, but it's getting harder to achieve! :D