PDA

View Full Version : Tool Recommendation - Nailgun?

Quasimodo
29th January 2008, 04:45 PM
I am thinking of laying new vinyl flooring over the masonite hardboard type underlay (about 5mm thick I think) and was wondering if any sort of nailgun would be suitable to nail down the underlay.

The base floor is about 3/4" thick pine and don't really want the nails to protrude through the floor.

In the past I've done this with hardboard type nails but this time round I would like to automate.

Two issues in selecting a suitable nail gun would be the minimum length and suitable thickness of the nails.

Any thoughts or advice - thanks in advance.

manoftalent
29th January 2008, 07:59 PM
Not to many nailguns that take small nails like clouts 25-30mm ....and a bradder would be too thin ...same goes for a stapler ......only way to do it is by hand ....30mm clouts would do it or the 30mm flat hardboard nails ...

damienhazo
29th January 2008, 08:18 PM
Why would you fix the underlay? Are you talking about a roll out surface like linoleum? Roll out the underlay (2mm foam) and join it with tape. Then cover with Vinyl. Or have I missunderstood something?

Damien

journeyman Mick
29th January 2008, 10:36 PM
Why would you fix the underlay? Are you talking about a roll out surface like linoleum? Roll out the underlay (2mm foam) and join it with tape. Then cover with Vinyl. Or have I missunderstood something?

Damien

Damien,
underlay on timber floors for vinyl is comprised of masonite sheets which need to be nailed down.

Mick

montiee
30th January 2008, 12:06 AM
Don't most people just typically glue the underlay (masonite) down?

journeyman Mick
30th January 2008, 12:57 AM
Don't most people just typically glue the underlay (masonite) down?

Don't know about "most people" but all the vinyll and ceramic tile underlay that I've ever fitted or seen fitted was nailed down as per specifications.

Mick

damienhazo
30th January 2008, 10:17 AM
Most floors over here are a cement-based screed called 'estrich'. There are water-based levelling compounds with microfibres that are mixed and then trowled over wood. When mixed properly, these level themselves out after dispersement and go off like a rock. Don't cost the world either. Then underlay then desired flooring. The floor must be pretty uneven if the foam can't compensate. Or is there another reason?

journeyman Mick
31st January 2008, 12:27 AM
..........Or is there another reason?

Tradition?:rolleyes:

Dunno, it's just how it's always been done. Vinyl on timber floors are probably a very small market segment now so I'm guessing there's not enough money in it for anyone to sell/import/manufacture/research/whatever a better method.

Mick

Quasimodo
31st January 2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

I have done a bit more research locally and some floor layers use 22mm staples but while these hold ok on hardwood subfloors - with pine they say you should use the ring-shanked underlay nails - so it looks like I'll be using the hammer again. Sigh!!

maxpower
2nd March 2008, 01:26 PM
You could just use a coiler and shoot 32 mm clouts. Must much faster.