PDA

View Full Version : Screening Around Carport

davidw_01
29th January 2008, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this site and am looking for a little advice.

I want to put up some screening around our carport and I was wondering what the best timber would be to use for the screening itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Dave

davidw_01
30th January 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm also open to other cost effective suggestions on closing in the carport.

Thanks Dave

Planned LScape
30th January 2008, 10:54 PM
A popular method now is to use merbau spaced about 3mm apart put horizontally across the screen. Put in some cypress posts either side, make your frame and get nailing. It suits more modern houses though, if and older house you might like to use treated pine decking and paint to suit.

davidw_01
31st January 2008, 05:19 PM
A popular method now is to use merbau spaced about 3mm apart put horizontally across the screen. Put in some cypress posts either side, make your frame and get nailing. It suits more modern houses though, if and older house you might like to use treated pine decking and paint to suit.

Thanks for that..

what sort of gap should i allow between each piece of timber (25, 30mm)

Dave

Planned LScape
31st January 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for that..

what sort of gap should i allow between each piece of timber (25, 30mm)

Dave

Ultimately up to you but usually it's put up with a nail width inbetween each piece, usually 3-4mm or so. But take into consideration the height and how many lengths will fit up, it's best to slightly adjust the spacing so you finish on a full piece, not with a cut.

Just be wary that if there's paving below that after rain or water on the timber the tannins will stain whatever is below. It comes off with household bleach but is a pain to remove all the same

Art Martin
1st February 2008, 09:40 AM
In regards to the merbau timber screening, whatever you do though, don't space them too far apart. It looks cheap and sh*t. I've seen a lot of DIY jobs where the spaces(gaps) are greater than the width of the timber, and it just screams cheap DIY job.