PDA

View Full Version : Confusing signs # 2

tea lady
30th January 2008, 12:23 AM
So.....Lets have another go. Confusing signs. And this time no taking us into forbidden territory. No following some sign blindly into p0rno territory.:5822282438: I was quite enjoying the other thread when it just vanished. So I'm restarting the thread even though I can't really think of any signs myself.

I liked the falling rocks one. What others were there? I only remember a funny sign for a dentist in Geelong 25(embarressing) years ago. A dentist called Dr Blood. Don't know if he had many customers. Is he still there?

astrid
30th January 2008, 01:42 AM
thanks tea lady,
did'nt see this, I just posted one too
still cant think of one.
Astrid:)

astrid
30th January 2008, 01:56 AM
After pleading, screeching and generally womanish behaviour, my tea lady and I have been given kind permission to re start this thread, hoping to give a little joy to the unfortunate and deprived GU.
Sadly after all our endeavours, We have nothing Witty to post,
So I am begging the gentlemen of our cohort, to rise to the occaision,(without being smutty or blue) and save us from utter humiliation and find somthing amusing to post,

The Countess Von Astrid

jmk89
30th January 2008, 02:46 AM
I wonder how many pictures of users' heads have been made because of the instruction on photocopiers to:
PLACE FACE DOWN ON GLASS PLATE

ss_11000
30th January 2008, 03:03 AM
invert bottle before opening

doesnt say to put it right way up again does it ¿

LGS
30th January 2008, 06:26 AM
In Auckland (Mission Bay), I saw a very enticing picnic table and chairs on a grassy flat in amongst trees with a cliff behind it, opposite the beach. The sign on the cliff said "Warning: Falling rock area".
In Boston, we lived opposite an appartment building with a carpark under. The sign on the automatic garage door said: "Wait until door closes before entering".

Terry B
30th January 2008, 11:02 AM
There are a number of roadsigns in Moree that state "overdimentioned heavy vehicle detour" (or similar)
Nothingn like tautologies in signs.
There are also obviously people in the sign making business that are paid by the letter. They work on the principle of why use a simple word when lots of bigger words can be used. Ane example is the roadsign that no longer states "TIP" but states "Municipal Refuse Facility":doh:

R.B.
30th January 2008, 11:18 AM
I chortled childishly at "GET ON YOUR KNEES FOR JESUS" in six foot high glory outside a church a while ago.

I also love the universal sign for "fast" and "Slow" even if it's 35ton of Rusty old Big Digger, there will always be a cute little bunny at the top of the throttle and a cute little turtle at the bottom.

wayfarer
30th January 2008, 01:26 PM
was the link to engrish.com one that was banned? I couldn't see any p0rn on that site....?

Allan at Wallan
30th January 2008, 01:51 PM
I am always amused by the signs on our
highways that show "Cyclists, use left shoulder".

I feel like jumping out of the car and add
"plus your legs".

Allan

I once stole a calendar - and got 12 months.

NCArcher
30th January 2008, 02:10 PM
I recently saw a sign on a parking meter ticket machine that said "Do not remove ticket until it appears" :doh:

I saw a photo my MIL took of a sign in Canada at the entrance to a park.
It said "Owners: Please keep your dog on a leash and clean up after them
Dogs: Woof woof, growl, woof woof." Not really confusing but funny.

patty
30th January 2008, 02:21 PM
There is a sign down at the local Shopping Centre and it says

ABSOLUTLEY NO ENTRY!

Whats the diff between No Entry and Absolutley No Entry!???

jerryc
30th January 2008, 03:10 PM
NCA,
this the one you're talking about?

MICKYG
30th January 2008, 03:36 PM
<dl><dt>In the offices of a loan company: </dt><dd>"Ask about our plans for owning your home."
</dd><dt>In a classified ad: </dt><dd>"Tired of cleaning yourself? Let me do it."
</dd><dt>In a New York medical building: </dt><dd>"Mental Health Prevention Center"
</dd><dt>On a New York convalescent home: </dt><dd>"For the sick and tired of the Episcopal Church."
</dd><dt>Outside a country shop: </dt><dd>"We buy junk and sell antiques."
</dd><dt>In the window of an Oregon store: </dt><dd>"Why go elsewhere and be cheated when you can come here?"
</dd><dt>In a classified ad: </dt><dd>"Vacation special: Have your home exterminated. Get rid of aunts."</dd></dl>

Black Ned
30th January 2008, 03:41 PM
I saw a sign at Chinderah NSW.

"Save Water - plant a Native"

NCArcher
30th January 2008, 04:09 PM
NCA,
this the one you're talking about?

That's the one, but the photo i have has my MIL in it. Her brother lives in Vancouver (come to think of it it must have been taken by her brother if she's in it )

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th January 2008, 10:03 PM
This thread has been done before, but I've no idea what search terms to use to link it in... :doh:

A couple of signs posted in that thread which tickled the funnybone enough for me to have saved copies off to my own HDD:

...and one that took my fancy well enough that I adopted it as my sigpic for a while. :U Unfortunately, 'twas resized for use as such and I don't have a copy of the original. Still, it's on these forums somewhere if you wanna take a stab at finding it (and the rest of that thread...)

jow104
30th January 2008, 10:12 PM
One of our local restaurants has a sign "TOILETS"
Underneath the sign is another that states Waitress Service. (to point out the establishment is not a self service outlet)

I have often wished to complain to the management about their misleading notice. :rolleyes:

joe greiner
30th January 2008, 10:13 PM
was the link to engrish.com one that was banned? I couldn't see any on that site....?

Must've been exiled before I saw that one. There was an earlier one, however, that had a lot of funny signs, but the commentary was obscenely juvenile.

I think I scanned, or re-photographed, the print, but I can't find it now:
Dentist office in Anchorage Alaska, 1985: Dr. Payne.

Joe

Grahame Collins
30th January 2008, 11:01 PM
Found this surfing one day,

Grahame

artme
31st January 2008, 09:24 AM
Up near Broken Hill Is a small outpost by the name of Silverton. From memory it has a pub and not much else. There are ( Or were) no ads for beer around the pub. The most prominent sign said "Drink Pepsi.":oo::oo:

watson
31st January 2008, 10:52 AM
Don't Drink and Drive ......or paint signs.

Elbow
31st January 2008, 01:27 PM
Beware
http://www.dribbleglass.com/subpages/strange/caution2.jpg
or thishttp://www.dribbleglass.com/subpages/strange/license.jpg
Allan

Allan

rrich
31st January 2008, 02:17 PM
A couple from the Big Island.