PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning lessons

Peter8686
30th January 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi,
I love woodturning and I am looking for some lesson to start me off. I live in Sydney, Leichhardt area and would seek any sort of assistance in the basics before I take the plunge and buy expensive equipement. Can anyone help?
peter

I_wanna_Shed
30th January 2008, 04:40 PM
I recently did the beginners course out at Trend Timbers (Mulgrave/Windsor).The course is run by John Ewart and covered introduction to sharpening, spindle turning and bowel turning.

Up until this time, I had not done any woodturning. The course gave me the skills to go home and practice what was learnt. It would be a good intro to turning to see if you like it before buying equipment.

The course was 2 x 8 hour days over a Saturday and Sunday.

www.trendtimbers.com.au (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/www.trendtimbers.com.au)

Cheers.

weisyboy
30th January 2008, 07:54 PM
i'm sure there would be a woodturnier in your local area that would be willing to give you a few pointers.

Ozartisan
30th January 2008, 08:16 PM
Well... here I go.... blatant plug....
Have just started our introduction to woodturning workshops - weekend or midweek.
Not in Sydney, but a nice 3 hour drive north (unless the F3 is stuffed again!)
Have some accommodation on site too - and stuff for SWMBO to do (if you have one).
You can email me via the website for more info.

Wherever you end up going, try & experience several different lathes, several different versions of tools to decide what you like best.

Good luck & enjoy the journey to turning mania - it's fun!

Peter
Ozartisan
(website in my signature)

Sawdust Maker
30th January 2008, 08:46 PM
The course is run by John Ewart and covered introduction to sharpening, spindle turning and bowel turning.

I attended John's course at Trend this time last year. It is a very good course and John really knows his stuff, ex TAFE teacher etc.
I've been wanting to attend the advanced bowl course but haven't managed to have a free time when the two day event was on. :?

turnerted
31st January 2008, 05:13 PM
Peter
Come along to the Bankstown branch of the Sydney Wood Turner's Guild this saturday from about 9.00am .The Girl Guide Hall ,159 Waldron Rd , Chester Hill .They meet first Saturday mornings and second Tuesday evenings . There you will see several different laths in use and be able to get advice and may find someone who is prepared to give lessons .

Ted

artme
31st January 2008, 05:57 PM
Welcome aboard Peter.:2tsup::2tsup:
i once knew a turner who walked around the corner and turned into a barber's shop.:p:p

Sawdust Maker
31st January 2008, 08:46 PM
Since my previous post I remembered that the new MIK store out Penrith way is also offering turning classes - Jason seems to be a nice chap
It wouldn't hurt to see what they are offering
http://www.mik.com.au/
I've also heard that Sydney woodturners are a good bunch so turnerted's suggestion is a good one - might even go meself
cheers