PDA

View Full Version : IH 766 wheel wedge damage

Grahame Collins
30th January 2008, 09:53 PM
Hi All
The boss has a IH 766 tractor.Its has provision for what appears to be an extra set of wheels as the axles stick out the hubs about a foot or so..

I have yet to see the beast,but the wheels wedge on to the axle, and one has loosened. Instead of the wedge wearing, the area inside has worn. The plan is to lay arc welded beads of cast iron into the wear area.

Is anyone familiar with a welding repair where the worn area can be built up. The man is worried that the wheel is going to slide off the axle.

I have googled but can't find a lot of info on 766 model pertinent to the repair of loose wedges.

I hope that someone here has experience of them.

Thanks in advance
Grahame

journeyman Mick
30th January 2008, 11:59 PM
Grahame,
no help to your query, but those axles with the wedged on wheels aren't for an extra set of wheels but are there for different row widths. On most tractors used for cultivation you can set the wheels up at different widths to suit you plantings. Usually it's done by turning the wheels inside out and/or unbolting the wheel centres and changing their position on the rim, but on some the front wheels can be unwedged and slid in/out.

Mick

Outbackrr
1st February 2008, 02:32 PM
It'll be one of the back wheels Grahame. Back axles are solid round with a keyway full length. Wheel centres would be cast, also with a keyway, sounds like what you would be doing is building up whats worn in the hub then recutting the keyway.

Grahame Collins
3rd February 2008, 11:46 PM
Hi gang,
Thanks to all for your input.

The wheel hub and tire is gi normus much wider than the one shown above. It is a wide as the radiator cowl. All we could manage to do is to jack the tractor up and remove the wedges.The axle was still well into the opening left by the removal of the wedges.

All that I was able to do, do was weld a pad to build up the worn area through the aperture . The worn area was ingrained with years of crap and brushing removed only some of it. No pics I am afraid .All of the cameras are currently kaput.
The grinding is now in the hands of the owner.

I have won a friend and a permanent invite to come and swim with the paltypui whenever its hot. Imagine a cool creek in the foothills with a shaded overhang, with palms and staghorns hanging out of the trees.

Life's good

Grahame