PDA

View Full Version : LEG PAIN is something SERIOUS

Dirty Doogie
30th January 2008, 10:44 PM
I 've been renovating a house for 2 years - pretty active physically. Every now and then I would get a sore aching pain in some part of a leg. It would ache for a few days then go away. I put it down to muscles being stretched and strained or bumped.

On saturday I got the ache just above my left ankle - then the sore area got a little pink looking - on Monday a slight swelling was noticeable but the aching became intermittent - I kept on working. Tuesday swelling increased and went right around the ankle. This afternoon the leg above the ankle started swelling -UH OH !

Off to the doctor - YIKES - Shocker! Tomorrow I'm in hospital for maybe 4 days and reno work on hold for maybe a month all going well.

Diagnosis : Deep Vein THrombosis.

I havent flown any where - it is actually very common ( I'm told) but potentially life threatening. Possibly I spent too much time sitting at computers.

Its not fair - just when I had given up smoking LOL!

Apart from a few hernia ops - this is the first major illness I've had - feeling a little bit scared I dont mind admitting.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th January 2008, 11:08 PM
Hope it all goes so smoothly for you that the most painful part is settling the bill.

Apart from a few hernia ops - this is the first major illness I've had - feeling a little bit scared I dont mind admitting.

I don't blame you. Hossies never worried me until my bro started working in one and I got to know a few of the people behind the scenes. Now they terrify me! :C

echnidna
30th January 2008, 11:13 PM
DD, while it is serious if left alone,
if it had been really dangerous you would have been put in hospital straight away.

Good luck

abitfishy
30th January 2008, 11:30 PM
Can I ask, Doogie, whether it was a pain or if you felt a 'warm' sensation at all.

I've had some problems with my knee - a muscle and it also seems I have torn cartlidge and will most likely need an arthroscope, however, one thing the physio and doctors have not been able to help with in the same leg is a warm sensation in my muscle. Its hard to explain but, although it sounds odd, the first few times it happened I thought I had wet myself and not known it! :D The top of my leg just got really warm for a few seconds and then stops....happens regularly.

Hope you are ok mate.

jow104
30th January 2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks for posting that, I am going to make another appointment with another doctor.

I saw one a few weeks ago and he told me I had arthritis but I dont believe him.

Dirty Doogie
30th January 2008, 11:45 PM
Thanx guys - dont know what I'm going to do without internet LOL.

The Doctor wrote a note and told me to report to local casualty ASAP. I had things to do so extended ASAP to mean tomorrow morning - except now the swelling is increasing - A friend is coming over - my bag is packed and I'll probably be checking about midnight now - I figure there wont be that many people waiting.

FISHY - yes there was/is a warm sensation sort of like that part of leg had tiger balm or vicks vapor rub on it.

Ok I better sign off now - cya's later

Doog

abitfishy
30th January 2008, 11:51 PM
FISHY - yes there was/is a warm sensation sort of like that part of leg had tiger balm or vicks vapor rub on it.

Doog

Thanks mate

Looks like I might need to keep an eye on it. I have major leg cramps too so my circulation isn't great to start with. I smoke like a chimney which doesn't help.

jow104
31st January 2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks mate

Looks like I might need to keep an eye on it. I have major leg cramps too so my circulation isn't great to start with. I smoke like a chimney which doesn't help.

Fishy, I've got the warm sensation as well, it feels like my leg is facing a hot radiating fire.
The doctor said its a trapped nerve. I still dont believe him, I'm going down the surgery on his day off and have a go at one of his mates. (they've got a nice young lady doctor down there as well)

abitfishy
31st January 2008, 07:26 AM
Hey jow104 - Don't tell me, your quacks are as bad as ours? :(( I'd do anything to find a decent doctor, especially one whos first language is english. :doh:

Fuzzie
31st January 2008, 07:40 AM
DD all should go well now you are under care. DVT's aren't at all uncommon these days and there has been a lot of progress in treatments over the last 10 years. How do I know? I've had 2 one 10 years ago and another 5 years ago.

The first one I got while renovating. I took a knock to the knee that hurt more than I thought it should and a week later I had a pain in the calf and was limping around, went to the doctor and he thought pinched nerve etc, said come back in a week if it hasn't gone away. Eventually sent me off for an ultrasound. Then I got the go to hospital now, do not pass go card. After 6 months on warfarin I was given the all clear and everything seemed to be ok.

A couple of years later I ruptured the Achilles tendon in the same leg. I developed another DVT after the repair surgery, which I actually had to self diagnose even though I had told the care providers I had a prior history. That DVT was very extensive and was cleared up again after 6 months on warfarin .

Unfortunatly the repeated bouts of thrombosis have damaged the valves in the deep vein and I have a legacy post thrombotic syndrome. This means the valves in the veins don't prevent backflow of blood and I have to wear a compression stocking to help reduce reflux of blood into the leg.

Warm extremities is symptomatic of veinous problems. Cold extremities is symptomatic of arterial problems. If youre worried about your circulation go to the doc and insist on an ultrasound, it might cost you about the same as your next cheap power tool purchase, but it could also save your life.

mic-d
31st January 2008, 07:58 AM
Good luck with it doogie, thanks for posting .

Cheers
Michael

prozac
31st January 2008, 11:08 AM
Only way to diagnose DVT properly DD is with a Doppler Scan. Is this what was done? If not then it has not been correctly diagnosed. Keep an eye on it as it could also be Cellulitis, a deep tissue infection.

Cellulitis Symptoms; Increased reddening of skin over an area the extent of which increases the worse it gets; the red area will be very warm to touch and tender; incredible pain like internal explosions when you stand from a sitting or lying position; may be associated with unwellness, fever, loss of balance, lack of reasoning, chills. Look out for a red line running up the inside of your leg to your groin. The higher it gets the more you really need to be in hospital...trouble with a capital T, septicaemia.

prozac