PDA

View Full Version : A large natural edge bowl

powderpost
30th January 2008, 10:44 PM
Had a friend visit a week or so ago, looking for a bowl for wedding present. After the selection and financial deal struck and completed, she spotted a large natural edge bowl which appealed to her. Any way, since then, the bowl has been completed. It was started life in 1988, in my "big" period. It lay abandoned largely because of the spalting and some serious grub holes. Apparently, those were the features that struck the chords.
The bowl is turned from white cedar, 600mm long and 400mm wide and 165mm deep. It was turned on an ugly bowl lathe I built about 25 years ago. It is finished with seven coats of lacquer, sanded back and buffed with 0000 steel wool to give it a low sheen.
First photo is from the top and the second is from the bottom
Jim

Caveman
30th January 2008, 11:02 PM
:2tsup:Nice one Jim.

A few years in the waiting! I guess it was fully seasoned - nice and dry:U.

Pretty large for a N.E. bowl.

Looks you got it pretty thin too - the only time I tried that on a N.E. bowl it was flexing a bit too much for my liking:oo:.

What sort of speed were you turning at towards the end for final finishing cuts?

powderpost
30th January 2008, 11:26 PM
Andy, flexing is a problem. I turn the outside first then the inside. Not sure of the speed, was a little while ago, but about 500 rpm. Lots of time spent hand sanding. Machine sanding these is a bit like sanding a spinning plane propeller.... not much fun. It ended up about 10mm thick.
Jim

Harry72
31st January 2008, 12:27 AM
600 long... thats huge!

artme
31st January 2008, 08:49 AM
Like that.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: