PDA

View Full Version : 10 years experience in carpentry

matty3uk
31st January 2008, 05:06 AM
Hello
I'm matthew and im a 31 year old English carpenter
I am in need of some help/Advice

I have 10 years experience on site 1st & 2nd fix carpenter but I don't have any qualifications.:doh:

Most of the jobs I have seen on the net are asking for qualifications ??.
I can get references from sites I have worked on and some photos will that be ok to help me get work in Australia as a carpenter.

I will be travelling all round Australia on a working/holiday visa.
What tools will I need to start off with as they would cost too much to get all my tools over

I am hoping I like it out there so much that I don't come home
Are there many companies that would sponsor someone like me.
I don't mind where I go to start off working in Australia

Hope to hear from you soon
Thank you
Matthew :U

journeyman Mick
31st January 2008, 03:02 PM
Matthew,
do you have "Recognition of Prior Learning" in the UK? Contact whichever govt department is in charge of vocational training and employment. If RPL is available then you should be able to get your trade qualifications via this route. If RPL is not available in the UK you could try getting it over here. Bring certified copies of all your references with you.

Tools brought over depends on what you think you'd be doing (ie formwork, framing, 1st/2nd fix) I'd be bringing at very least your nailbag plus hammer, chisels,chalkline, stringline, tape, square, circular saw, planer, drill and cordless drill plus bits. You'd be able to hang a door or put up some framing or set up some formwork. If you can get your trade papers via RPL before you go then you would have no problems getting permanent residency.

Mick

matty3uk
31st January 2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks Mick

I will have a look into all what you have said

Are the tools on site 110v or 230v in Australia
All my tools are site tools wich are 110v in the uk

irbrill
31st January 2008, 09:10 PM
Australia is on 240volt you can get tansformers for your tools, could be a bit cumbersom though. bring hand tools and if need be pick up some cheepies at the local "homebase/Bunnings" alot of work goes through labour hire, especially in the commercial, your only really expected to come on site with a basic kit. Hays pay $26.50 on wages but you could do better than that if you hunt around.

AV Elec
31st January 2008, 10:14 PM
I can get you a job, although not in carpentry. It is installing equipment in Sydney.
Unfortunately, I can't sponsor you. All tools supplied, all you need is a working Visa.

Message me for details.

Gaza
2nd February 2008, 03:32 PM
Please PM, closer to when you are ready to come over,

my company employees 15 carpenters and we have had a number of guys from uk and ireland work with us while over here.

in realtion to tools i would bring over hand tools for a start also corldess tools. Our tools are cheaper over here than you guys pay.

we work on large commerical sites and high end residental, we supply most power tools for our employeses to use.

you can get a one year working visa without being sponsored.

matty3uk
3rd February 2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks for all the help

If any one can offer me work or point me in the right direction
that will be a great help

I will be starting in Perth around may and travelling all over

If anyone can sponsor me in a year please let me no :B:;:2tsup:

just to let you no i hope for my route to start in
Perth and go up the coast to Broome then on to Darwin down to Alice Springs on to Adelaide / Melbourne / Sydney and up the coast to Cairns

If i can get a car/jeep/van that will make it :doh:
Wish me luck :D

rhancock
4th February 2008, 10:01 PM
Can't help with sponsorship, but my bil runs a building company and is always looking for carpenters in Brisbane, so pm me if you want to spend time here.