PDA

View Full Version : Victory with Triton/Leigh

Carry Pine
31st January 2008, 07:56 PM
I am proud (sort of) to announce that this afternoon I had a victory with the Leigh dovetail jig and the Triton 3hp router.

It all started when I realised the bush supplied with the jig worked perfectly on thin timber but another one was needed for 25mm thick stock. These of, course are not available to fit the Makita router that was doing so well after coming out of retirement.

Picked up a Triton Router attachment kit for $45 at carbatec on special and immediately ordered a small 1400 Triton router from Home Hardware that took over 2 weeks to get there - if it ever did. I gave up and ordered another brand.
In desperation attempted to fit the guide plate and bush to the big Triton. Stuart was of immense help here and his description on his blog is excellent. Needed to cut down the length of the Triton bush to fit the Leigh and it all looked good.

Did a test cut on some 25mm off cuts with the 2nd biggest cutter and after 1 recut on the pins because they were too tight, made a perfect fit. I am happier with the thicker stock- must admit I was a bit worried, but I think with bigger and thicker boards there is less chance for error.

The Big Triton is big to use but I guess it is only 1kg heavier than the Makita that I was using on the jig.

So.... I don't claim to be as experienced as Stuart and Les who both have been of immense help but I have fitted the Triton guide plate and guide bushes to the big Triton router and used it successfully on the Leigh jig.

One happy puppy tonight.

Carry Pine

lesmeyer
31st January 2008, 09:35 PM
CP,
glad to hear of your success. I have used the small Triton router and it does perform well. One just has to ensure that the bush is centered after every change of cutters. I also shortened the 5/8" guide bush to ensure fitting when using on the Leigh Jig. When using the larger cutters, the shank lentgh is not an issue as you must have noticed. Also less vibration resulting in a smoother cut.
Good on ya.
Les