PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on cleaning an old Stanley 45

SilverSniper
1st February 2008, 06:21 PM
Hi all,

I have an old Stanley 45 that is covered in grease and wood dust, and wanted some advice on cleaning it.

Originally I wanted to keep it used looking but I found it just looked better and better with all the gunk removed, as you can see from the photo - the rear fence has been cleaned.

The trouble is, the gunk is hard to get off and I've got a bit to do. Has anyone got any advice on cleaning product/method I should use? Currently I have been using Autosol (metal polish) applied with gun cloth, and using a fine screwdriver to dig out gunk in the corners. Its real slow :no:

ac445ab
2nd February 2008, 08:03 PM
Hi all,

I have an old Stanley 45 that is covered in grease and wood dust, and wanted some advice on cleaning it.

Originally I wanted to keep it used looking but I found it just looked better and better with all the gunk removed, as you can see from the photo - the rear fence has been cleaned.

The trouble is, the gunk is hard to get off and I've got a bit to do. Has anyone got any advice on cleaning product/method I should use? Currently I have been using Autosol (metal polish) applied with gun cloth, and using a fine screwdriver to dig out gunk in the corners. Its real slow :no:

Hi,:)
I do not know the word "gunk" (sorry:-) but have you tried with disches soap, hot water and a nylon brush? At least for grease and wood dust should be work.

Ciao,
Giuliano

Groggy
2nd February 2008, 08:53 PM
You need to clean that?

Zarguld
2nd February 2008, 11:04 PM
let it soak in solvent over night just like you would with car parts then wipe it clean in the morning and if there is still gunk on it,it must be called cement.

Ivan in Oz
3rd February 2008, 06:53 AM
Do you have the availability of an Ultra-Sonic Cleaning Bath?
If so, Strip it down to basic components and give a go.

Wouldn't suggest to do wood, at all:no:
Though I myself would for a few seconds and see.

Ivan in Oz
3rd February 2008, 06:59 AM
Hi,:)
I do not know the word "gunk" (sorry:-)
Ciao,
Giuliano

G'Day Giuliano,
Gunk - any greasy , oily or sticky residue or accumulation usually with waste material, eg Sawdust
Also known as: Crud, Muck or SH17 [ SH17E ]

SilverSniper
3rd February 2008, 09:38 AM
You need to clean that?

Yeah, its probably a bad photo for present purposes- the new one may be better. There is a fine layer of yellow grease and oil covering the entire plane, and the wood dust has stuck to it and formed brown gunk in the corners. Its not bad, just looks better gone.

Do you have the availability of an Ultra-Sonic Cleaning Bath?
If so, Strip it down to basic components and give a go.

let it soak in solvent over night just like you would with car parts then wipe it clean in the morning and if there is still gunk on it,it must be called cement.

I don't know what an Ultra-sonic bath is sorry - sounds hi-tech. And I don't know what solvent I would use?
I am reluctant to go too aggressive due to the nickel-plating, I don't want to ruin that.
I tried cleaning with Meths (that is, methylated spirits) and found it left a weird cloudiness on the nickel after I'd cleaned it off, which I then had to rub off with the Autosol. That's why I posted here, I thought there might be a u-beaut method of doing this.

I might try the hot soapy water next, I just hope it doesn't get under the plating and cause it to lift.

ac445ab
3rd February 2008, 11:22 AM
G'Day Giuliano,
Gunk - any greasy , oily or sticky residue or accumulation usually with waste material, eg Sawdust
Also known as: Crud, Muck or SH17 [ SH17E ]

Ciao Ivan,
Here is night now (01.20 a.m).
OK for the mean of "gunk", thanks!
:)