PDA

View Full Version : Onboard toilets

archie1979
2nd February 2008, 12:28 PM
Hi all,
A few questions regarding onboard toilets.
What sort of system do you normally use on a trailerable motor launch around 21 feet in length. Do you have to use a sanitized system before you can pump it over the side.
can you install a 12v electric toilet with a macerator and pump directly over board.

Cheers
Archie

wayfarer
2nd February 2008, 01:38 PM
Hi all,
A few questions regarding onboard toilets.
What sort of system do you normally use on a trailerable motor launch around 21 feet in length. Do you have to use a sanitized system before you can pump it over the side.
can you install a 12v electric toilet with a macerator and pump directly over board.

Cheers
Archie

Does this help?

3. What are the 'no discharge zones', and where are they located? 'No discharge zones' are areas where the discharge of treated sewage is prohibited.
'No discharge zones' include all inland waterways, intermittently opening lagoons, Aquatic Reserves and Marine Parks, and all waters within 500 metres of aquaculture, bathing, mooring and anchoring areas, persons in the water, beaches and marinas. As a result of these ‘no discharge zones’, Sydney Harbour is effectively a no discharge zone.
4. Who is affected by the new measures?
Both commercial and recreational vessels - please see below.
5. I am a commercial operator; what do I need to do under the current sewage from vessel requirements?
Operators of Class 1 and Class 4 commercial vessels (eg passenger carrying vessels and houseboats) need to have toilets and holding tanks. These vessels were identified as posing the greatest sewage pollution risk as they carry a significant number of passengers, or as in the case of houseboats, have people living on board for extended periods.
6. I am the operator of a Class 2 vessel or Class 3 (fishing) vessel. Do holding tank requirements apply to me?
Operators of Class 2 or Class 3 vessels do not necessarily need to have holding tanks. However, operators of these craft are required to undertake the necessary steps to ensure that no sewage is dumped in any waters (eg. by using a small portable toilet).
7. I am a recreational boater - what will I need to do?
Ensure that no sewage is dumped in the water. Your options include a holding tank, an approved on-board sewage treatment system if the device was fitted prior to 13 November 2005, a small portable toilet or even just planning your trip to make use of on-shore toilets. (see, for example, the map (http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/pumpout-syd.html#pumpoutmap) of public toilets around Sydney Harbour)
Most people go boating for just a few hours in a day, so the solution may be as simple as going to the toilet before you leave the shore - just like before a long car trip.
8. I am a recreational boater and have a Lectra San unit on board - can I still use it?
Yes, you can – provided that it was fitted prior to 13 November 2005. Lectra San EC and MC Marine Sanitation Devices manufactured by Raritan Engineering Company and fitted prior to that date will be recognized as an approved device for the life of the unit and do not need to be connected to a holding tank. However, each device must be maintained, serviced and used in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and not discharged into areas designated as “no discharge zones for treated sewage”.
9. What about other on-board treatment systems - can I use them?
Possibly, depending on how they are used and whether they are certified in accordance with Section 28 of the Marine Pollution Regulation 2006. Systems that incorporate a holding tank can be used in any case, provided that the system's contents are pumped out at a waste collection facility. Certified systems can also be discharged into the water, provided this is done outside of 'no discharge zones'. Un-certified systems lacking a holding tank cannot be used.

Found here (http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sewagefaqs.html)

fxst
2nd February 2008, 01:40 PM
All coastal waters require a contained system that you pump out at dump points or at home. Discharge toilets are now only used when long way offshore. I forget the distance but the marine service from your state will be able to inform you. There are large fines for dumping waste water illegally.:no:
Pete
or what wayfarer said

archie1979
2nd February 2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys, So i guess my only real option is to install a toilet with a small holding tank and with a treatment system of some sort should provide a interesting problem considering the small amount of space already in the 21 footer.
I have seen toilet with holding tanks and treatment system for around $2,000 so this may be the only solution as I want my boat to be able to sustain 2 people plus a dog over night.

Thanks for the help

Archie

bitingmidge
3rd February 2008, 12:46 AM
Archie,

What's wrong with a $100 Porta Pottie? Go to BCF and have a look, you take the cassette home and drop the contents in your loo.

Cheers,

P
:)

Boatmik
3rd February 2008, 02:45 AM
Well - are you going to teach the dog to use the toilet.

The great Jazz bassist Charles Mingus wrote an article years ago on how to train a cat to use a toilet.

If anyone knows about Mingus they know that "the great Jazz bassist" is clearly an understatement of the most dramatic sort.

http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/Mingus/cat_training.html

It starts with "first you have to train yourself".

I wonder if it is easy enough to teach a dog to do it too.

MIK

Buzza
6th February 2008, 10:56 PM
Get a head. :)

(Head = nautical term for dunny).

Porta-Potti's are fine, provided the boat does not go over waves, which can bounce it a crack the tank. This happened to a mates Hartley Cruiser once, and the front starboard section softened and sagged, and smelled badly.

Get a proper maine head or toilet for your cruiser, and you will be adored by all the females who come aboard. Hang a smelly thing near the back wall of the dunny too.