PDA

View Full Version : new turnings

powderpost
2nd February 2008, 03:27 PM
Wet weather has given me time to "clean up" the shed. During this process, a number of half finished projects surfaced, each one fixed to a face plate. Now I know where the face plates got to. Four plates have been recovered so far and there could be more... :-.
The first photo is a hollow form, 270mm diameter and 105 deep made from red cedar. The block was cut in half, turned and rejoined with a banding to pretty up the joint. The block was recovered from the butt of a very old tree, cut many years ago by timber cutters. Estimated to have been about 200 years old. The cedar was a tad brittle but cut very cleanly and is a lovely dark colour. A really beautiful piece of wood.
The second piece was to be the base of a laminated hollow form, but didn't quite make it. It is made from kauri pine base and Queensland maple with yellow walnut veneer stripes. It measures 120mm dianeter and 80 mm deep.
There could be more hiding there to, just hope the weather doesn't break.. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd February 2008, 03:35 PM
The segmented bowl has beautiful grain and I'd be proud if it came off my lathe, but the cedar hollow form will win my vote every time. Lovely! :2tsup:

Gil Jones
2nd February 2008, 03:37 PM
Very well done!! I like the hollow form best (just a personal choice).:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
2nd February 2008, 03:44 PM
:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
2nd February 2008, 03:51 PM
Very nice Jim :2tsup:

funkychicken
2nd February 2008, 04:09 PM
Good work!

I'm gonna have to try a hollow form like that one day:D

artme
2nd February 2008, 05:21 PM
What Skew said, I second.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

rsser
2nd February 2008, 05:36 PM
What'd you use to hollow the cedar PP?

Harry72
2nd February 2008, 07:49 PM
Beautiful work PP.

fred.n
2nd February 2008, 07:57 PM
Nice work PP :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

hughie
2nd February 2008, 08:14 PM
What'd you use to hollow the cedar PP

...and a side pic of same would be nice.:U

Seriously you have done a fine job on both, and along with the rest the hollow form gets my vote. :2tsup:

coffenup
2nd February 2008, 09:54 PM
another fantastic job on both. it inspires others to do better
Regards
Michael:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
2nd February 2008, 11:56 PM
Ernie, I split the blank horizontally, turned both halves with a bowl gouge and scrapers and rejoined the two halves.
Hughie, a side photo for your perusal.
Jim

TTIT
3rd February 2008, 12:20 AM
Very nice work Jim :2tsup:

wheelinround
3rd February 2008, 08:16 AM
PP can't wait for the next installment of unfinished works very nce

hughie
3rd February 2008, 08:21 AM
Ernie, I split the blank horizontally, turned both halves with a bowl gouge and scrapers and rejoined the two halves.
Hughie, a side photo for your perusal.

Jim, Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Sawdust Maker
3rd February 2008, 08:32 AM
very nice work :2tsup:

how did you actually split the bowl? Bandsaw and some sort of jig?

Hardenfast
3rd February 2008, 09:23 AM
What they all said PP - very nice! With regard to the hollow form, I'll ask the same question as SM - what did you use to "split the blank horizontally"? Every time I've tried to do this on a bandsaw the bluddy thing ends up wandering a little and I end up with a nasty recovery process. Maybe my BS needs a little tuning?

I also like the segmented piece very much. I just started a new segmented bowl myself and have been playing with the process of using a thin veneer between larger pieces. Looks great, but its somewhat difficult to keep everything aligned and nicely jointed.

powderpost
3rd February 2008, 10:36 AM
Believe it or not, :), I split the blank by hand with a handsaw. First I cut a deep groove with a 2mm parting tool to make sure the cut didn't wander, then got into it with a hand saw. The blank was still held in the chuck and used the spindle lock to hold it still while cutting.
Jim

Sawdust Maker
3rd February 2008, 11:38 AM
PP

thanks
will give it a go when my ability increases