PDA

View Full Version : hole punch for sanding discs

hughie
2nd February 2008, 08:06 PM
If your like me and your tired of cutting new sanding disc's with a pair scissors etc for bowl sanding and find the cost of wad or hole punches a bit over the top.

No doubt we have all tried grinding bits of pipe or steel tube only to find that they blunt far too quickly....:C

Look around for old worn out hole saws. They are just about perfect for hole punches. Made from carbon steel with a re-enforced back plate for hitting with a mallet etc.

For those of us who don't use hole saws to any degree. Look around to see if you know any Locksmiths, Carpenters,Electricians and perhaps somebody in the engineering trades for their old worn out hole saws

Below is a 76mm hole saw with the teeth ground off and about a 15' bevel edge ground on it with a 4'' grinder and holding the hole saw in a pedestal drill running about 300rpm. The discs then fit neatly onto my inertia sander tool.

TTIT
2nd February 2008, 11:56 PM
Crikey that's a good idea Hughie! :2tsup: I know a few guy's that wear those things out regularly - done deal.

scooter
3rd February 2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks for this, hughie, looks like the go.

Do you just put it on the sandpaper & give it a belt?

rsser
3rd February 2008, 05:40 AM
How would it go do you think to leave the teeth on and drill out a stack from a pile of sheets?

btw, 2" muffler pipe seems to keep an edge fairly well for the smaller discs.

Ivan in Oz
3rd February 2008, 07:11 AM
Crikey that's a good idea Hughie! :2tsup:
I know a few guy's that wear those things out regularly - done deal.

Some of them I have to work with are Butchers, they Break the teeth off HOLESAWS with regular monotony:doh::no:
I guess a few broken teeth wouldn't be so bad, Just a small cut/rip to complete the circle?

Is anything used between the Hammer/Mallet and the Ring CUTTER?
Piece of Wood, perhaps 92mm x 19mm, yea long?

Groggy
3rd February 2008, 07:20 AM
Leaving the teeth on would tear rather than cut, and the whole sheet would probably scrunch up and go for a spin.

Sawdust Maker
3rd February 2008, 08:34 AM
Great idea :2tsup:

now to go on a scrounge:!

hughie
3rd February 2008, 08:34 AM
I know a few guy's that wear those things out regularly - done deal.

Vern, no worries, most guys just biff em out. Stick to the well known brands. I think the Chinese make out em outa water pipe..:C :U:U

Do you just put it on the sandpaper & give it a belt?

Scooter,
Yep thats about it. If you had the mandrel you could at slow revs ie less that a 100, you could then cut a stack out. But the slower the better, other wise its prone to bind up as Groggy mentioned

btw, 2" muffler pipe seems to keep an edge fairly well for the smaller discs.

Ern, Thats darn good exhaust pipe i never had that much success. Must be the way I hold my mouth or something..:? :U

I guess a few broken teeth wouldn't be so bad, Just a small cut/rip to complete the circle?

Ivan, Any snags like that would most likely catch and rip the disc up. The smooth edge slices through the sandpaper much like a bowl gouge slices as opposed to a scraper. Running at slow revs it cuts a neat disc with the potential to do several at once if you hold the sandpaper securely

Ivan in Oz
3rd February 2008, 10:06 AM
Ivan, Any snags like that would most likely catch and rip the disc up.
Running at slow revs it cuts a neat disc with the potential to do several at once if you hold the sandpaper securely

:oo:
Oh!!
I had you using it as a PUNCH:)

Though, I believe it would work that way.
No big numbers or Quick production:(

rsser
3rd February 2008, 11:47 AM
Yeah Hughie, what I'm using clearly ain't just mild steel. And I go into MDF to preserve the edge.

Groggy, yeah, I guess the teeth are too coarse.

keen1880
3rd February 2008, 01:33 PM
hughie, are wad punches that expensive? Seems like a lot of stuffing around when there is a ready made solution. You would be saving heaps by cutting them yourself, so why not treat yourself to a good punch?
you know, the right tool for the job and all that gives you more time for woodwork.

DJ’s Timber
3rd February 2008, 01:52 PM
hughie, are wad punches that expensive? Seems like a lot of stuffing around when there is a ready made solution.

I once got a quote for a 2" from a couple of places at least 4 yrs ago and they are bloody expensive :o, from memory they were around the $80 to $120 mark :no:. Can buy a hole saw for less then half that price, I know someone who uses a 3" hole saw with the teeth removed in a small press for punching out foam disk and it does a very neat job :2tsup:

hughie
3rd February 2008, 07:08 PM
And I go into MDF to preserve the edge.

Ern, If you have it or can get hold of a short piece of steel tube, say 150mm dia. Turn up a piece hard wood and drive it into and through the pipe end grain up. This makes a good block for punching on. From time to time you can catch it up in the lathe and trim the face back. It will last better than MDF, although not as cheap.

Ivan,

Yep :U I started out using it as a punch. But spinning it allows me to cut several at once. But I guess this is only an option if you have the mandrel.

memory they were around the $80 to $120 mark

Keen1880

I even tried down the markets for cheap second hand ones. Cheap yes, but usually stuffed beyond any useful life.........:~ :C

rsser
3rd February 2008, 07:49 PM
Like a butcher's block.

Good thinking 99 :wink:

scooter
3rd February 2008, 08:42 PM
:oo:
Oh!!

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Have a mandrel homemade from a bolt so will give it a go soon. :2tsup:

OGYT
4th February 2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info, Hughie. Seems like I'm always telling you "thank you". :D

NeilS
18th August 2009, 12:07 AM
Finally got around (some of us are just slow off the mark... :-) to grinding the teeth off the 2" hole saw I had put aside for this.

Worked beautifully. Had a stack of discs cut in no time.

Thanks, Hughie. Just wish I had got around to it earlier!

Found a diamond tip in a rotary tool held against the revolving 'saw' quickly put a cutting edge back on it when it became blunt.

Neil

Grumpy John
18th August 2009, 08:24 AM
I can't find the photo's of my punches so I'll just put up this link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=96864&highlight=muffler).

wheelinround
18th August 2009, 09:33 AM
or use LOYL's egg rings ...............just don't get caught

NeilS
18th August 2009, 09:51 AM
I can't find the photo's of my punches so I'll just put up this link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=96864&highlight=muffler).

John, looks like you use yours as a punch.

I went with Hughie's approach and use mine rotating in the drill press. More of a slicing than a punching action. It works very well, but can't comment on how well in comparison to the punch method, not having used one for that purpose.

Neil

rodent
19th August 2009, 03:05 AM
Is that from though's bike accidents ern .Or should i say modifications .

Evan Pavlidis
19th August 2009, 04:12 PM
I once got a quote for a 2" from a couple of places at least 4 yrs ago and they are bloody expensive :o, from memory they were around the $80 to $120 mark :no:. Can buy a hole saw for less then half that price, I know someone who uses a 3" hole saw with the teeth removed in a small press for punching out foam disk and it does a very neat job :2tsup:

DJ, have a look at todays prices: :o

https://www.alltools.com.au/shop/index.php/510/2505_Wad_Punchers_(_Footprint_Brand_)_Made_In_The_UK_

Same prices as at their Thomastown shop.

Cheers, Evan

Evan Pavlidis
19th August 2009, 04:21 PM

G'day GJ,

had a look at the pics in the link; do they work well and keep an edge?
Is that plastic the cutting board type that you can pick for very little from the chinese variety shops?

Thanks,
Evan :)

Grumpy John
19th August 2009, 05:09 PM
Hi Evan, I made those punches well over 12 months ago now and have not had to sharpen them yet. The ends are nylon, I once had access to metal working machinery and all kinds of handy stuff, but that was in another life :((:(:C.

rodent
19th August 2009, 10:41 PM
TOYS TOYS TOYS what would we do without them (Probably go fishing ) Speaking of which . Where's my snapper rod .:wink: