Sawdust Maker
2nd February 2008, 09:02 PM
ok so it's not the most expensive kit but here it is
My first ever - the timber is Western Rosewood
finish is burnished Organoil
cheers

artme
2nd February 2008, 09:15 PM
Gotta start some where and I figure youve started in the right place an ende up with a great result!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ss_11000
2nd February 2008, 09:28 PM
:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd February 2008, 09:32 PM
Expensive kits don't automatically mean good pens.

I like yours, you've kept nice straight lines and sized the timber to the bushes well. For a slimline kit, you've done everything just right.

You sure it's your first pen? :;

Penpal
2nd February 2008, 10:22 PM
Thats a neat pen,you can shape it any which way you like to and be yourself,you chose to make it straight.I observe you clean cut it and importantly softened the edges and that improves the image and feel of the pen,the transition from wood to metal is carefully done,this is no easy task since you are working with a minimal thickness of timber. When I press the tip,mechanism and top these days with a slimline I use a tapered cheap reamer from Supercheap to ease the sometimes too tight fit that can cause a split,I also believe that an epoxy or poly glue has that little give that helps save pens in preference to Super glue.

I like your first pen its a ripper. Peter:2tsup:

Calm
2nd February 2008, 10:35 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: great effort:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
2nd February 2008, 11:03 PM
Great Effort. You have done verywell
bye Toni

plomanto
3rd February 2008, 12:50 AM
Very nice pen. I would guess that your hooked like the rest of us already..

Simomatra
3rd February 2008, 08:04 AM
Very nice first up pen. You have done well in all the different facets of making the pen. When you dod a slimline BB then you don't have a lot to play with:)

I also like the Organ oil hard burnishing oil in my finish:2tsup:

You totally infected so there is no hope for you:oo:

Welcome to the addiction

corbs
3rd February 2008, 08:22 AM
Nice pen SM, hang onto it and use it as your pen so you remember where you came from. I still have (and use) my first pen and I would dare say so do most of the other pen turners on these forums. Nothing wrong with using cheap kits to learn on as mistakes are easy to make and it can get expensive unless you sell a few. Welcome to the fraternity (we should have our own secret handshake:;)

Corbs

PenTurner
3rd February 2008, 09:37 AM
Sawdust maker, that is a good looking pen, and the finish is a natural,:2tsup:Amos:)

cigarman
3rd February 2008, 09:58 AM
Ver nice first pen. Keep up the good work :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
3rd February 2008, 08:08 PM
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. Yes I'm hooked. I'm even laying aside a sliver from my bowl blanks to use as pen blanks :D

Skew

You seem a tad sceptical that it is in fact my first pen :~
I was thinking of getting a stat dec from SWMBO but I know all she would swear to was that it was the first one she had actually sighted. I handed it to her, very pleased with myself and the bl**dy thing wouldn't write. :B
You will have to just take my word for it:!
I actually take your comment as high praise :2tsup: Thanks

Cheers

SM

Big Shed
3rd February 2008, 08:13 PM
Know what you are going through SM, what a buzz that first one is.:2tsup:

Have just finished my second and working on the third.

Great looking pens!:2tsup:

Mrs Woodpecker
3rd February 2008, 08:37 PM
Great job!! Well done.

Regards,Shirley