PDA

View Full Version : Hairie"s Sasquatch Build

hairymick
3rd February 2008, 01:40 PM
G'day guys,

Just starting to build a 16.5' X33" canadian tripping canoe. If anybody is interested, will post piccies as I go.

Bare with me guys, I am also experimenting with posting piccies here.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/hairymick/Sasquatch/Sas-A.jpg

hairymick
3rd February 2008, 01:55 PM
still experimenting

wayfarer
3rd February 2008, 10:10 PM
Looks interesting. You obviously have plans for it?
The first post with the pic embed in the body is the format I prefer.

bitingmidge
3rd February 2008, 10:55 PM
The only problem with the fully embedded post is that dial up people won't get a crack at it, particularly if there are a lot of pics on the thread.

"if anyone's interested!" Bah! :p

P
:D

hairymick
4th February 2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks guys,

Plans are here,

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=Sas16-33

when I posted the piccies above, I was showing my mate how to attatch them to posts here. he is a gifted cabinet maker who I have been privelidged to work with and has just registered here. (sorry Pete, I would indroduce you but I forget your username)

anyway, back to the boat in hand.

1st pic. I have just finished marking and trimming all the panels.

2nd pic is the first panel splice.

hairymick
8th February 2008, 10:32 PM
Been plodding away and finally starting to get somewhere.

First two panels are stitched in place. Hope to get some more done tomorrow.:D

Theodor
9th February 2008, 09:29 AM
I have always wondered with canoe designs using planks if you need to shape your planks along the sides. Or is it just a matter of bending the planks then making sure the ends are cut appropriately?

Couldn't see myself attempting such a design while my sawing technique is dangerously bad! Still waiting for Santa to bring me an all-in-one combination machine.

Theodor
9th February 2008, 09:37 AM
I have always wondered with canoe designs using planks if you need to shape your planks along the sides. Or is it just a matter of bending the planks then making sure the ends are cut appropriately?

Couldn't see myself attempting such a design while my sawing technique is dangerously bad! Still waiting for Santa to bring me an all-in-one combination machine.

Actually, I have just noticed this uses plywood panels. Not so difficult. I had mistaken this for a variation on clinker construction.

hairymick
10th February 2008, 07:31 AM
G'day Theodor,

Plywood Stitch & Glue construction, involves marking and cutting the ply panels in fairly precise curves. Ply does not edge bend well.

Pic 1. Final panels coming together

Pic 2. All stitched up.

No final alignment of hull panels etc and hopefully, I can start to tack today.:D

m2c1Iw
10th February 2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Mick,
What sort of wire are you using to stitch.

Mike

hairymick
10th February 2008, 04:16 PM
G'day Mike,

I use .9mm galvanized tie wire.:D

Hull is all tacked up. Back to work tomorrow. At least this will give the tacks time to set up properly.

bitingmidge
10th February 2008, 05:17 PM
Are you going to beat me with two canoes before I finish mine Mick?

P
:p

hairymick
10th February 2008, 10:39 PM
G'day Midge,

LOL Probably not mate. While I can throw the hull together pretty quickly, I struggle with the finer points of the joinery in the woodwork. I am no craftsman but I keep trying.:no:

fxst
10th February 2008, 11:50 PM
G'day Midge,

LOL Probably not mate. While I can throw the hull together pretty quickly, I struggle with the finer points of the joinery in the woodwork. I am no craftsman but I keep trying.:no:

yeah right:p Thats it put the boot in while we look in awe at the workmanship.:D
Pete

hairymick
19th February 2008, 10:22 PM
Bit more done.

pics 1 & 2 outside is glassed and poxied.

Pics 3 & 4 graphite eriched epoxy applied to bottom. I just love this stuff.:D

hairymick
19th February 2008, 10:24 PM
D'oh!!

here is pic 2.

hairymick
5th March 2008, 12:01 AM
An update,

All the structural work is done, bar the seats. This is a prototype hull and I need to paddle her first to work out what works best for me.

Pic 1 gunwhales going on. Thanks Mik, Your advice re the Hoop Pine was priceless!

Pic 2 & 3 overall shots. i will clean her up in the morning and cart her outside to get some better piccies.

soundman
5th March 2008, 09:59 AM
Ok Peter, how about a fair race then.
I recon I can get mine in the water before you get your eureka.:q
Oh by the way how's that dust extraction going:D
cheers

hairymick
5th March 2008, 12:52 PM
Some more piccies.:D

bitingmidge
5th March 2008, 01:21 PM
Ok Peter, how about a fair race then.
I recon I can get mine in the water before you get your eureka.:q
Oh by the way how's that dust extraction going:D
cheers
cough!

And cough, cough!! for you too Mick!

P :D:D

Lewy the Fly
5th March 2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Mick,
I know you have worked of detailed plans and please dont see this as critecisemj just and observation that it apears from the photos that all the end butt joines are in the same spot across the beam and not staggered I would have thought it stronger to have them staggered.

fxst
5th March 2008, 03:21 PM
Having started the Laker I thought the same thing but as it is also glassed inside and out the strenth issue isn't quite as serious as it might seem.
On other builds I have staggered them but I reckon it should be ok. Hairy seems to think they are strong enough and so does the designer.:2tsup:
Pete

hairymick
5th March 2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys,

G'day Lewy,

Hi Mick,
I know you have worked of detailed plans and please dont see this as critecisemj just and observation that it apears from the photos that all the end butt joines are in the same spot across the beam and not staggered I would have thought it stronger to have them staggered.

No problems mate.:)This is the eighth Jem Watercraft boat I have built from a couple of simple pirogues, a pirogue/canoe hybrid, A decked ocean touring canoe, a couple of kayaks to a dedicated, high performance sit on top fishing kayak and now this Canadian. All have had the panel splices aligned and all have stood up to my hard use and abuse beautifully.

I think staggered joints MIGHT be a little stronger but I really don't know. Matt has designed his beautiful boats this way and that is good enough for me. I have used them in small surf and shot gentle rapids in most of them and never had a problem. Perhaps joints done with a ply butt plate would increase their strength. Matt offers directions on how to do this as an alternative but I don't think they are as elegent as the fibreglass panel splice.

Pete,

Have faith in Matt's design mate. It is a good one. I would trust the man with my life. (and do)

Cough cough to you to Midgee:D

Gonna start a 14 footer soon.:q

Seriously though, my wood work is not of furnature quality. The joints don't look like they grew there but are still very strong and reasonable attactive. I would call this one as being a 5 yard boat.:doh:

CapricornCoast
13th April 2009, 08:25 PM
That is a pretty craft. Well one. Do you make your own paddles???

hairymick
13th April 2009, 09:44 PM
G'day CC and thanks mate.

Do you make your own paddles???
Yeah mate. Have knocked up a couple of roughy single blades. Haven't attempted a kayak paddle yet. For the time and effort spent in achieving a very good kayak paddle, I just don't think it is worth it.

This one in laminated Hoop Pine, I think. Recovered from some very old tongue and groove wall boards. First attempt.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/hairymick/Paddle%20Build/IMG_0680Small.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/hairymick/Paddle%20Build/IMG_0681Small.jpg

This one is laminated, using strips of Surian (SP?), Hoop, Meranti and some obscure white looking pine. I was just fooling round with colours.:D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/hairymick/Paddle%20Build/IMG_0695Small.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/hairymick/Paddle%20Build/IMG_0689Small.jpg

Both came in at about 200 grams heavier than a plastic blade, aluminium shaft job and i am pretty happy with that.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/hairymick/Paddle%20Build/IMG_0696Small.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/hairymick/Paddle%20Build/IMG_0687Small.jpg

I had sort of forgot about my build thread here - sorry. Been a bit of "other stuff" going on in my life in recent months.

Long story short, I have had the opportunity of paddling this boat in a variety of conditions now, from dead calm, skinny water to gentle white water and a moderate chop. It is easily, the best open canoe I have ever paddled. Fast - very fast for a Canadian style canoe, stable and responsive and tracks like it is on rails. Glide between strokes just seems to go on for ever.