PDA

View Full Version : 300mm 16mm toolrest. Possible? Where?

I_wanna_Shed
3rd February 2008, 02:56 PM
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I had a day practicing spindles on my Woodfast 280L. I made a small, simple bowl as well.

However, my Woodfast uses 16mm posts on the toolrests. I only have a 150mm and a 200mm toolrest, which I found annoying when working on 300mm spindles.

I've had a look at Timbecon, Carbatec and Carroll's, but I can't see any longer 16mm toolrests.

Is it possible to get longer (300mm +) 16mm toolrests? And if so, from where?

Thanks for your help,
Nathan.

powderpost
3rd February 2008, 03:12 PM
Nathan, have a look at Woodfast web site, or better still email them.
Jim

wheelinround
3rd February 2008, 03:15 PM
Nathan get ye to the steel suppliers and make one :2tsup:

rsser
3rd February 2008, 03:49 PM
Sure it's 16mm and not a closer imperial size?

Jim Carroll
3rd February 2008, 04:53 PM
The reason for not finding a 300mm toolrest is that on such a small post there will be vibration on the end of the toolrest and if there is the slightest catch there will be no support.
9" is about as long as you would want to go.

The other way is to make your own with double posts and 2 banjos , gives even more support.

I_wanna_Shed
3rd February 2008, 05:28 PM
The reason for not finding a 300mm toolrest is that on such a small post there will be vibration on the end of the toolrest and if there is the slightest catch there will be no support.
9" is about as long as you would want to go.

The other way is to make your own with double posts and 2 banjos , gives even more support.

Thanks to Jim and everyone for their replies.

I will try and get my hands on another banjo and make up a longer toolrest.

Cheers,
Nathan.

rsser
3rd February 2008, 05:41 PM
Jim, what about a braced tool rest?

Same prob. do you think?

hughie
3rd February 2008, 06:54 PM
My Dad did alot of spindle work and had a dual banjo set up on 24" tool rest. A part for the cumbersomeness of it, it worked well.

Harry72
3rd February 2008, 07:26 PM
If you had some stop collars on the dual post's would it be so cumbersome?

Sawdust Maker
3rd February 2008, 07:37 PM
Vermec sell toolrests with different size posts, you might want to check them out.
http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/toolrests.pdf

Jim Carroll of course has a valid point. Tis a smallish post

This is also a tad on the funny (ie peculiar) side as I was complaining the other day that my 300 mm was too long and I needed a 150 :p

China
3rd February 2008, 09:30 PM
The cheapest way is to make your own, on one of my lathes I have a toolrest 1m long it is supported by with three banjo's, home made also means "custom made" you design it how you want it. If youdon't have access to welding gear do all the cutting and have a local welding shop do the welding

Sawdust Maker
5th February 2008, 08:25 PM
Trouble with this idea is that as a welder I'm a fine florist:!:!:!