PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #6

Woodlee
3rd February 2008, 07:34 PM
Just finished this Stanley #6 .
The lever cap was chromed but it was just flaking off so I buffed it all off.
Of course after I took the pictures ,I noticed some rust starting to grow back on the blade and lever cap .Finger prints rust overnight here during the wet season.

The base was done in citric acid ,the blade and cap iron were done by electrolysis.

Knob and tote done with linseed and shellac, then finished with Johnsons Paste Wax.

My other project at the moment is a model 244 Stanley Mitre Box , which has been stripped cleaned and is awaiting paint .I'm waiting on some ingredients to arrive ,so I can try and emulate the original finish.

Pic 1 as recieved
Pics 2,3,4 end result
Pic 5 Stanley Mitre box

jmk89
3rd February 2008, 07:51 PM
The #6 looks really good (I hope mine comes up as well once I get around to do it up!!:D). Did you repaint/rejapan the black bits? or did it just survive in that condition after the citric treatment? And how about some photos of curlies -- no curlies, so it doesn't count!!!:D:D

I like the condition of the mitre box. Are you going to keep it or sell it? What saw have you got to use in it? Some day, I will get round to doing mine up, but every time I think I have time for that, I decide it is better to joint, sharpen and set the saw...

Woodlee
3rd February 2008, 10:58 PM
The #6 looks really good (I hope mine comes up as well once I get around to do it up!!:D). Did you repaint/rejapan the black bits? or did it just survive in that condition after the citric treatment? And how about some photos of curlies -- no curlies, so it doesn't count!!!:D:D

I like the condition of the mitre box. Are you going to keep it or sell it? What saw have you got to use in it? Some day, I will get round to doing mine up, but every time I think I have time for that, I decide it is better to joint, sharpen and set the saw...

JMK,
Japaning on this one was almost 100% ,so close its not worth trying to rate .
The citric acid did not affect the finish .
It did however make the cast iron of the base look as if it had been zinc plated,even after a scrub with steel wool and kero.
Hopefully the sole will be ok like it is with out having to run it over some 200 grit paper.

No curlies ,I haven't attended to the blade as yet ,it still has the factory grind on it ,so it just needs flattening and a hone.

The mitre box is now in its prepainted state ,bare cast iron.
I have been doing a bit of research and have found a couple of recipies for japaning ,I have ordered some ingredients and am waiting delivery .I intend to do some testing before I actually paint this thing, in case I screw it up.

I have the original 24" Disston saw for it which is in excellent condition.
All that was missing from this one is ,one screw for the feet and the top strap and screws.
I fashioned a strap from 1/8 brass and the screws I will replace with 12 -24UNC ,original screws are near impossible to find unless I find a junker miter box some where.
I intend to keep it ,once it is painted and re-assembled ,and set up I hope it will be accurate enough to cut perfect miters.

The original wooden base I will keep aside and replace it with some thing else.

Just wondering ,is yours a 244 ? The original wooden base has a brass bush inset into it that is threaded ,it's to the right of the saw blade and about 1-1/2 to 2" to the right.
I can't seem to find any info on this piece .
I'm thinking it may be for a length stop ,but can,t find any reference to it.
I have a pdf of the Stanley parts break down but it is not clear what this part does.

Im still not really sure if mine is a 244 model either ,it has no model no on it ,just patent dates cast on the quadrant.Im just using the limited info to hazard a guess

There has been one of these on Ebay for the last three weeks or so ,was thinking of bidding on it ,but then I would have two to restore.
Here is a pic of it in the condition as I recieved it.

SilverSniper
5th February 2008, 09:55 PM
J

Knob and tote done with linseed and shellac, then finished with Johnsons Paste Wax.

One word WOW

Could you please provide more detail on how you finished the tote and knob? I am about to start doing some of my own refurbs and am really new to fine finishing of wood.

Woodlee
6th February 2008, 12:10 AM
One word WOW

Could you please provide more detail on how you finished the tote and knob? I am about to start doing some of my own refurbs and am really new to fine finishing of wood.

Sniper ,
If you follow this link and scrolldown to the post by BobL ,you will find the method explained .
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=49338&highlight=Tool+Handel+finish

I have adopted Bobs method for all my tool handels ,as you can see it works and looks very nice when finished.
I used Johnsons paste wax in the last step as that is what I have at hand at the moment .
To get the old varnish off the tote and knob I used an old kitchen vegetable knife to scrape the varnish off back to abre wood ,Just becareful you dont take knicks out of the wood in the curved bits.
I put a 3" or 4" 1/4 bolt through the knob and mounted it in my drill press for sanding after I removed the old varnish .I sanded very lightly so not to change the profile of the knob .
The tote has to be done by hand because of the shape.

Once the sanding was done up to 320 ,I just followed Bobs method .
I have done a couple of back saw handles as well , they came out tops.
Pics are on the forum here .
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=49987&highlight=saw+handle+update
Must send Bob a slab of greenies to thank him.:2tsup:

Kev.

prozac
6th February 2008, 12:24 AM
What he said.

prozac

Scribbly Gum
5th March 2008, 09:57 PM
Beautiful work Kev.
The number 6 is a much underrated plane in my humble opinion.
Of my small family of Turners, I really like using the Number 6.
When I got it, the back of the mouth was chipped and the blade quite worn down.
I picked up a really thick replacement blade from somewhere online that was having a clearing sale - can't remember who - and it must be near 3/16" thick. Fills the mouth of the plane remarkably well, and doesn't she sing!
Mine doesn't look as good as yours, but there is something about the size and weight of the plane in the hand that just feels right.
Thanks for sharing the photos.
I would really like to see the finished mitre box too.
Regards
from Tele Point
SG:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Scribbly Gum
6th March 2008, 06:49 PM
Here is the not as good as the Stanley 6 - Turner Number 6 with big mouth and big blade.
Thought you might be interested.
Now that's a mouth.
Regards

Woodlee
6th March 2008, 09:41 PM
Here is the not as good as the Stanley 6 - Turner Number 6 with big mouth and big blade.
Thought you might be interested.
Now that's a mouth.
Regards

SG ,
Nice looking plane the Turners , I don't think the larger mouth is really a problem with the heavier blade and the frog adjustment .I reckon they are just as good as a Stanley.My Dad has a couple of Turners , he gave me his Stanley #5 , but he won't let go of the two Turners.
I really like the larger planes #5 #6 and the #7 I use these three a lot ,not having a thickneseer or jointer I am restricted to hand tools.I planed all of the 50 x 125 rough sawn Jarrah for my bench aprons with these three planes
My no 7 is my favourite for big jobs ,I use the scary sharp method of sharpening and the sound #7 makes when using it is like music.
Would like a no 8 but they are becoming hard to get a a good price.

I picked up a No 4 1/2 English Stanley a few weeks ago and the blade has been sharpened with a rather pronounced camber ,looks like some one has used it as a scrub plane.I have yet to tackle this one.
The mitre box is almost finished just need to drill the holes for the top support rod and machine up a couple of screws to secure it .Japanning is finished and I'm really pleased with the final finish. A mate is thicknessing a piece of Vic Ash for a replacement cutting board to place on the base.
The saw that goes with it needs a small amount of work also.
Will be posting pics of the Mitre box soon keep an eye out for it.

Will have to add another post to "show off your planes" thread ,I've added a few more to my collection since the last one.

Nice collection of chisels there too by the way SG ,they look like Titans if I'm not mistaken .I have a set of firmers up to 1 1/4". Great tools.

Kev.

Scribbly Gum
7th March 2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the compliments on my Turner Kev.
When I wrote ..not as good as... I meant that my efforts at restoration were not as thorough as yours have been. You have done a superb job on your Stanley.
The English Stanleys are often better than the US Stanleys in my opinion because they usually have a much heavier casting, and this adds both strength and authority to the plane in action. Well done on the 4 1/2.
My Turner was in bad shape when I got it, and I had to file the back of the mouth to bring it square again because of the chipping there. It also has deep scratches in the sole. Some donkey must have repeatedly planed over nail heads while in an aggressive coma. I can't imagine how else this damage could have been done without the operator noticing.
Filing the mouth square also widened it of course, and I briefly used the plane for scrubbing with an old blade that I radiused with an 8 inch curve. It did a fantastic job, but oh, boy what a workout!
I was lucky to find a thick blade for it - I think it was at a sale that MIK were having a couple of years back.
Anywho, the blade actually fits the mouth like a glove and it is a pleasure to use.
I have a very high opinion of Turners, hence my little collection.
My number 7 is also a roughie, and I have been on the lookout for a better one for years with no success so far. I was going to bid on a 220 recently on Ebay, but it went stratospheric in its price - finishing at $142!
Still looking for a 220.
The chisels were a bit of gratuitous showing off, as I needed something to fill the background on my benchtop, to stop the camera focusing on the back of the shed wall. They are Bergs actually, except for the largest which is a Kronan. Picked them up in dribs and drabs from the local markets over the years. I do have too many chisels, but can't bear to part with them. I think it's some form of illness.
The point of my post was to specifically congratulate you on the restoration of the Stanley, especially the handles. Great job.
Regards from Tele Point

Woodlee
7th March 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the compliments on my Turner Kev.
When I wrote ..not as good as... I meant that my efforts at restoration were not as thorough as yours have been. You have done a superb job on your Stanley.
The English Stanleys are often better than the US Stanleys in my opinion because they usually have a much heavier casting, and this adds both strength and authority to the plane in action. Well done on the 4 1/2.
My Turner was in bad shape when I got it, and I had to file the back of the mouth to bring it square again because of the chipping there. It also has deep scratches in the sole. Some donkey must have repeatedly planed over nail heads while in an aggressive coma. I can't imagine how else this damage could have been done.
Filing the mouth square also widened it of course, and I briefly used the plane for scrubbing with an old blade that I radiused with an 8 inch curve. It did a fantastic job, but oh, boy what a workout!
I was lucky to find a thick blade for it - I think it was at a sale that MIK were having a couple of years back.
Anywho, the blade actually fits the mouth like a glove and it is a pleasure to use.
I have a very high opinion of Turners, hence my little collection.
My number 7 is also a roughie, and I have been on the lookout for a better one for years with no success so far. I was going to bid on a 220 recently on Ebay, but it went stratospheric in its price - finishing at $142!
Still looking for a 220.
The chisels were a bit of gratuitous showing off, as I needed something to fill the background on my benchtop, to stop the camera focusing on the back of the shed wall. They are Bergs actually, except for the largest which is a Kronan. Picked them up in dribs and drabs from the local markets over the years. I do have too many chisels, but can't bear to part with them. I think it's some form of illness.
The point of my post was to specifically congratulate you on the restoration of the Stanley, especially the handles. Great job.
Regards from Tele Point

Bergs , I was mistaken as the Titans have a red decal on the handles.I should have picked that up.
No No , terribly wrong ,you CAN'T have too many chisels or tools for that matter.It maybe an illness but there is a cure , get more chisels.I have an affliction for gathering tools ,I have a collection of mechanics tools that would make some major workshops jealous.All gathered during 38 years of working in the metal trades.

Now it has graduated to woodworking tools ,I have always enjoyed wood work and now I am approaching retirement I can get to it.

Back to chisels :

I have a set pigsticker types ,the English oval bolstered mortice chisels .
I just picked up three brand new Pearson ones off Ebay , 1/4 ,5/16 and 3/8 ,for 62 GBP ( 138.00 AUD which I think was a pretty good buy )considering they are in the original box ,never ever been honed or struck with a mallet,In fact they still have the protective wax on the blades .
The others I have of the same size are a bit rough with some pitting ,luckily not where it matters most ,I have been slowly ,bit by bit honing them to remove most of the pitting ,they need handles and then I will move them on.

I have a set of Marples bevel edged chisels that belonged to my Father ,which need some attention. I need to get a small lathe so I can turn up some nice handles .
I can turn wood on my Myford metal lathe but I don't like doing it ,I would prefer a wood lathe for that type of work.

Thanks for the compliment on the Stanley ,wasnt trying to divert the conversation or imply any thing ,most times I ramble on too much .

Cheers
Kev

Scribbly Gum
7th March 2008, 04:40 PM
Bergs , I was mistaken as the Titans have a red decal on the handles.I should have picked that up.
No No , terribly wrong ,you CAN'T have too many chisels or tools for that matter.It maybe an illness but there is a cure , get more chisels.I have an affliction for gathering tools ,I have a collection of mechanics tools that would make some major workshops jealous.All gathered during 38 years of working in the metal trades.

Now it has graduated to woodworking tools ,I have always enjoyed wood work and now I am approaching retirement I can get to it.

Back to chisels :

I have a set pigsticker types ,the English oval bolstered mortice chisels .
I just picked up three brand new Pearson ones off Ebay , 1/4 ,5/16 and 3/8 ,for 62 GBP ( 138.00 AUD which I think was a pretty good buy )considering they are in the original box ,never ever been honed or struck with a mallet,In fact they still have the protective wax on the blades .
The others I have of the same size are a bit rough with some pitting ,luckily not where it matters most ,I have been slowly ,bit by bit honing them to remove most of the pitting ,they need handles and then I will move them on.

I have a set of Marples bevel edged chisels that belonged to my Father ,which need some attention. I need to get a small lathe so I can turn up some nice handles .
I can turn wood on my Myford metal lathe but I don't like doing it ,I would prefer a wood lathe for that type of work.

Thanks for the compliment on the Stanley ,wasnt trying to divert the conversation or imply any thing ,most times I ramble on too much .

Cheers
Kev

I'd really like to see some pictures of your chisels when you get around to it.
I don't think I've ever seen a Pearson chisel.
The problem with owning too many is that you don't get to use each one so much. I must go catalogue mine as you have done - mine are a little haphazard at the moment.
Thanks again Kev