PDA

View Full Version : Hello

YorkieT
4th February 2008, 08:05 AM
Just a quick hello from the UK :)

I have just returned to woodturning after a break of approx 9 years ( moving house / no workshop etc :rolleyes:

I am shortly going to be the very proud owner of a short bed Union Graduate vari speed but I currently own a Tyme Avon which has done me proud :)

Excellent forum that you have here, some very good info :2tsup:

YorkieT

Hardenfast
4th February 2008, 08:26 AM
Welcome Yorkie. Raining over there? Again? I'd be interested to have a look at the new Union Graduate, if you're able to post some pics. Also the Tyme Avon - both new names to me.

We seem to be a little limited in variable speed lathes over here - our market is probably too small for manufacturers to provide the models in our voltage requirements (240v). And of course we're so damn far from anywhere. Oh well.

Wayne

scooter
4th February 2008, 09:47 AM
Welcome, Yorkie. :)

Cheers..............Sean

wheelinround
4th February 2008, 10:40 AM
Welcome Yorkie

liek Wayne said new names to us how about a couple of pics when you can

Dont be led astray by his other comment on rain :~ we are getting our fair share and its physing me off :((

Gil Jones
4th February 2008, 10:42 AM
Welcome to this fine forum, YorkieT. Good and talented folk dwell herein.

artme
4th February 2008, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the menagerie Yorkie. Do you play cricket?:):):D

Ivan in Oz
4th February 2008, 10:57 AM
> Welcome to the menagerie Yorkie. Do you play cricket?

NOT Fair!

That question was NOT Cricket:p

OGYT
4th February 2008, 02:39 PM
Welcome Yorkie! Good place, this. It'll get to ya after awhile. Then you just gotta have a fix at least once a day... all day long. :D

hughie
4th February 2008, 05:09 PM
Yorkie,

Welcome aboard!

For a large forum of diverse folk its remarkably friendly and helpful. As Gil says theres real smart folk here. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
4th February 2008, 07:42 PM
Yorkie

welcome to the forum - tis a darned nice place
you can learn heaps and spend a lot of time here
does Yorkie mean you're from York or do you (to make another not cricket comment) bowl them? :D

YorkieT
4th February 2008, 08:51 PM
Welcome Yorkie. Raining over there? Again? I'd be interested to have a look at the new Union Graduate, if you're able to post some pics. Also the Tyme Avon - both new names to me.

We seem to be a little limited in variable speed lathes over here - our market is probably too small for manufacturers to provide the models in our voltage requirements (240v). And of course we're so damn far from anywhere. Oh well.

Wayne

Hi All,

Here is what the Avon looks like,

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/althea/tymelathes.htm

And here is the short bed Graduate 2nd pic down,

http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrisonwood/

My user name refers to the fact that I am from Yorkshire ( a ONCE famous county cricket club :U ) :D

It's sunny here at the moment but VERY cold :ukflag:

Nice to be aboard :2tsup:

YorkieT

OGYT
5th February 2008, 01:22 AM
Yorkie, that's a fine looking lathe! Sorta reminds me of the VB by Hegner. One heck of a lathe for turnin' bowls! Thanks for the pics.

YorkieT
5th February 2008, 05:19 AM
Yorkie, that's a fine looking lathe! Sorta reminds me of the VB by Hegner. One heck of a lathe for turnin' bowls! Thanks for the pics.

Hi OGYT,

The VB is the next step up from the Graduate but I don't have room for a VB :( very similar quality and the same gorgeous curves though :U

YorkieT

wheelinround
5th February 2008, 07:17 AM
:2tsup: Nice Lathes Yorkie amazing what you get for/with the Avon almost everything you'd ever need

Ray

artme
5th February 2008, 08:11 AM
G'day Yorkie. Have seen pictures of Both those graduates before. Fine lathes by both looks and reports. Hadn't heard of Tyme but an impressive piece of machinery.
Have you seen or, perchance, used a Silverdrive?
amongst all those famous Yorkshire cricketers I most admired Darren Gough,Fred Truman and Brian Close.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Youve heard the story of Brian Close - one of the toughest men to play any sport - and the young tearaway speedster? If not let us know and I'll post next time.

Fredo
5th February 2008, 09:07 PM
Welcome YorkieT<o></o>

There are a few Union Graduate Lathes around down under. With the Graduate Lathe I restored, I found some problems which may be of interest to you. The spindle height was too low for me, but mainly the lathe’s small foot print made it much less stable than I expected. I made a steel frame and bolted the lathe to it (see pics), to increase the stability, reduce shake and raise the spindle height. Changing to a cam lock banjo was also a good option for me, as was a 2hp variable speed drive. With these changes and the unrestricted front access design of the Graduate, I find it is now a very nice user friendly bowl lathe.

Fredo

artme
5th February 2008, 09:19 PM
I forgot to add Harold Larwood to my list!!:doh::doh:

scooter
5th February 2008, 11:12 PM

Sweeeeet looking lathe. :2tsup:

YorkieT
6th February 2008, 09:11 AM
G'day Yorkie. Have seen pictures of Both those graduates before. Fine lathes by both looks and reports. Hadn't heard of Tyme but an impressive piece of machinery.
amongst all those famous Yorkshire cricketers I most admired Darren Gough,Fred Truman and Brian Close.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Youve heard the story of Brian Close - one of the toughest men to play any sport - and the young tearaway speedster? If not let us know and I'll post next time.

I would love to hear / read the stories artme :)

I have seen photo's of the silverdrive but never used one :(

YorkieT

YorkieT
6th February 2008, 09:15 AM
Welcome YorkieT<o></o>

There are a few Union Graduate Lathes around down under. With the Graduate Lathe I restored, I found some problems which may be of interest to you. The spindle height was too low for me, but mainly the lathe’s small foot print made it much less stable than I expected. I made a steel frame and bolted the lathe to it (see pics), to increase the stability, reduce shake and raise the spindle height. Changing to a cam lock banjo was also a good option for me, as was a 2hp variable speed drive. With these changes and the unrestricted front access design of the Graduate, I find it is now a very nice user friendly bowl lathe.

Fredo

Very interesting Fredo, out of interest what is the centre height of your Graduate and how tall are you?

Mine will not be arriving for a while yet but the centre height is 40" which I may need to raise slightly but I will try it first.

YorkieT

artme
6th February 2008, 10:46 AM
Story goes of Brian Close facing up to a young, very quick but inexperienced tearawy speedster.
Our young hero drops one short,Brian steps inside and takes a swat but misses. Next bal same result whereupon our young hero has anexaggerated follow through run winding up very close to Brian saying,
"It's about that round ( indicating with fingers ), wieghs about 5ozs and travels at 90+ mph.":D
Third bouncer is beautifull picked off the end of his nose by Brian and deposited outside the grounds into some railway yards.:oo:
As our astonished young hero stands there open mouthed:o Brian saunters down the pitch and says in his Yorkshire brogue "Thar knows what it looks like. Thar go and find ut.":p
One of the best of all cricket stories!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

HappyHammer
6th February 2008, 11:02 AM
Welcome Yorkie, It's a great forum.:2tsup:

Hey Fredo by the looks of your floor the dust extraction isn't catching many of the chips.:U

HH.

Fredo
6th February 2008, 05:45 PM
YorkieT
The centre height of my lathe is 44". I am somewhat vertically challenged at 5'7". If you are using your lathe as standard I recommend you bolt the base directly to the floor, or it will dance around your shop.

Hammer
The unfortunate reality is dust extractors only suck up dust and not chips, sad but true.

Fredo :U

YorkieT
6th February 2008, 05:54 PM
YorkieT
The centre height of my lathe is 44". I am somewhat vertically challenged at 5'7". If you are using your lathe as standard I recommend you bolt the base directly to the floor, or it will dance around your shop.

Hammer
The unfortunate reality is dust extractors only suck up dust and not chips, sad but true.

Fredo :U

I am buying the materials this evening so that I can make a concrete pad on which to bolt it to :)

Thanks for the advice :2tsup:

YorkieT

YorkieT
6th February 2008, 05:56 PM
Story goes of Brian Close facing up to a young, very quick but inexperienced tearawy speedster.
Our young hero drops one short,Brian steps inside and takes a swat but misses. Next bal same result whereupon our young hero has anexaggerated follow through run winding up very close to Brian saying,
"It's about that round ( indicating with fingers ), wieghs about 5ozs and travels at 90+ mph.":D
Third bouncer is beautifull picked off the end of his nose by Brian and deposited outside the grounds into some railway yards.:oo:
As our astonished young hero stands there open mouthed:o Brian saunters down the pitch and says in his Yorkshire brogue "Thar knows what it looks like. Thar go and find ut.":p
One of the best of all cricket stories!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Excellent :D thanks for sharing :wink:

YorkieT