PDA

View Full Version : Sodium met and septics

Andy Mac
4th February 2008, 03:54 PM
Hi there,
I'm just about to launch into some home brew after a hiatus of about 11-12yrs. The last time I did it was in town with civilised sewer, but now in the country with a septic, I'm just a bit worried what Sodium metabisulphite as a steriliser might do to the septic system!:? If its such an efficient sterilizing agent, does that mean any bottle washings etc that enter the drain will wipe out the septic tank flora/fauna?
Has anyone had a problem with it, or should I try some alternative?

Thanks,

DavidG
4th February 2008, 04:04 PM
Do NOT discharge to a septic system.
do a google on "Sodium metabisulphite Septic system"

DISPOSAL METHODS:
Unused and spent solutions may be allowed to be discharged to sanitary sewer by permit IF allowed by local regulations. Consult your local authority for advice. Waste may have to be pre-treated before discharge. Consult local authorities before discharging any waste to sewer.
Do not discharge to septic system. Waste that cannot be discharged to sewer may have to handled by a licensed hazardous waste contractor. EU Waste Number: 090104

watson
4th February 2008, 04:10 PM
G'day ANdy Mac,
There is a stuff called Iodophor from brew suppliers, which at 10ml in 10 litres will kill all the bugs, and then after about a week in the bucket it is no longer active, and is safe to dispose of.

Andy Mac
5th February 2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for replies :).
As suggested I'll bucket the rinsing water into the garden instead, then buy another type of sterilizer when this lot runs out.

Cheers,

Ramps
5th February 2008, 10:53 PM
Andy
at the concentration that you're using sodium met should dissipate overnight in an open container/sink as it quickly breaks down to SO2.
As it is I hate the stuff but couldn't get hold of my normal stuff last time I was after some sterilant so ended up with some.
On saying that I use very little. I sterilize the brew container with about 1/4 strength sodium met and only rinse the bottles with water (or shove them in the dishwasher with no detergent when not in a rental with no dishwasher :~). If you have to throw out one or two stubbies occasionally so be it, it's better than drinking sulphur or chlorine compounds (one of the reasons I brew is to avoid that type of poison). I think I've had one 'off' stubby in the last 10 years.

.... well that's my alternative ... traditional ... heat or nothing

jimmyh
8th March 2008, 07:46 AM
Apart from Iodophor, which can sometimes be hard to get hold of, there are also peroxide-based sanitisers which are equally as effective as Iodophor and don't stain like Iodophor does. One particular brand of product comes to mind, you will find it at homebrewing suppliers. The downside is that you need 30 times as much. Still, it's not expensive.

Or if you are a real tighta%^se you can use 6ml of UNSCENTED household bleach and 6ml of WHITE vinegar added to 5 litres of water. Do not mix the bleach and vinegar directly, but add them to the water. This solution will sanitise effectively but needs a longer contact time than the above two options, up to 20 mins should be fine.

There is no need to rinse any of these options afterwards if you have measured correctly, just tip out or transfer liquid to another vessel.
They should not harm a septic system, the amounts used are quite small.

Sodium Met has its uses, but there are far, far better products to use to sanitise brewing gear.