PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy sprockets from?

Fozzy
4th February 2008, 03:57 PM
Hi All,

I'm in the process of building a toy car for my kids which will be powered by an electric motor, but I need to find some sprockets. Where can I buy sprockets from?

Calm
4th February 2008, 04:00 PM
Hi All,

I'm in the process of building a toy car for my kids which will be powered by an electric motor, but I need to find some sprockets. Where can I buy sprockets from?

Try Go-Kart shops they have many teeth from abour 60 up to 92 and chain to match. Small sprockets , 8 - 14 i htink

cheers

Rossluck
4th February 2008, 04:04 PM
Hi All,

Where are you Fozzy?

In Brisbane there's a place at Slacks Creek that sells chains and sprockets.

watson
4th February 2008, 04:05 PM
G'day Fozzy,
http://www.oatleyelectronics.com
They sell the motors, sprockets,chains, controllers and a whole lot of other stuff.
Careful though...I built one for myself to get around the place, and on the road its been timed at over 30kmPH!!!

Fozzy
4th February 2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,

I should have mentioned that I am in Melbourne.

G'day Fozzy,
They sell the motors, sprockets,chains, controllers and a whole lot of other stuff.
Careful though...I built one for myself to get around the place, and on the road its been timed at over 30kmPH!!!

I am planning on buying one of the motors from Oatley, probably the 200W one for $30. I am worried about the speed of the car and I think even with the large sprocket that they sell it will still be too fast (the kids are under 5). I was hoping to buy some sprockets and build a gearbox similar to the one on this website http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Gearbox/index.html to gear it right down.

Have you got any details of the one that you built that you would care to share?

Calm
4th February 2008, 08:06 PM
To work out the speed use the following.
Measure the circumference of the wheel in metres - divide that into 1000 that tells you how many times per KM that the wheel will turn.
eg if the circumference is 1 metre then the wheel needs to turn 1000 times per km.

Find the RPM of the motor and multiply it by 60 to get revs per hour - divide that by the number of times wheel turns per KM
eg wheel turns 1000 times per km - engine rpm is 2000 x 60 = 120,000 / 1000 = 120 km per hour to get 20 kph you need a gear ratio of 6 to 1

10 tooth motor sprocket and 60 tooth axle sprocket.

so the example is 2000 x 60per hour x 10teeth / 60teeth/1000turns per km = 20 KM per Hour.

Hope this helps. all you need is the RPM of the motor and the circumference of the wheels.

AV Elec
4th February 2008, 08:20 PM
G'day Fozzy,

Hi Watson,

Which motor was that?

I often wondered how fast twin 500watt motors would be...

Years ago, before the current electric scooters, a 13year old friend used to build them out of starter motors. His old man was a wrecker, so he had plentiful supply when they burnt out. He even rigged a mercedes steering wheel.. I was a bit older, took it for a spin, and rolled it:doh:

watson
4th February 2008, 08:49 PM
Ok.I'll answer in turn.
Fozzy.........sweat not about the speed...I'm just a boy at heart.........the speed can be restricted by the substitution of two components in the speed controller. If you need help to do that...or build the controller just ask...I'm retired, and just love "projects"
AV Elec
The motor I chose was the 350 watt number. Twin 500 watt motors would be awesome!!
At the time I built it I weighed 110kg, and until I made it soft start, I burned out two rear tires. I powered it by two car batteries wired in series to get 24Volt, so there was a fair bit of weight involved.
To make things more ridiculous....I mounted a plastic office chair on it......so I didn't have to climb in or out........steering wheel from an old car........running direct billy cart type steering....gasp!!
I'll take a pic or two and add them to the post tomorrow....as long as you don't laugh.
Fozzy........don't worry about the speed and the young boys.......this can all be done safely and with mechanical or electronic brakes......12volt instead of 24Volt cuts the speed by 2/3 anyway.
Hope that's enough info.
Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

AV Elec
4th February 2008, 09:17 PM
I'll take a pic or two and add them to the post tomorrow....as long as you don't laugh.

Oh please do.
I will have to make one for my nephew within the next 2 years. I was gonna make it suitable for twin 500watt, and detune it for when he rides it . Then the adults can get in and rip the tyres up on full power:D

This is worth a watch YouTube - Electric Motorcycle Demo

hux
4th February 2008, 09:46 PM
www.smallparts.com.au (http://www.smallparts.com.au/)

Fozzy
5th February 2008, 01:09 PM
Ok.I'll answer in turn.
Fozzy.........sweat not about the speed...I'm just a boy at heart.........the speed can be restricted by the substitution of two components in the speed controller. If you need help to do that...or build the controller just ask...I'm retired, and just love "projects"

Thanks Watson, Which speed controller did you use? I think I want to run it at 12 volts but the only controllers they have for 12 volt are kits. Also I'm interested in how you converted yours to soft start?

Fozzy........don't worry about the speed and the young boys.......this can all be done safely and with mechanical or electronic brakes......12volt instead of 24Volt cuts the speed by 2/3 anyway.
Hope that's enough info.
Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

The car is actually for my two daughters. I know there is a line there about women drivers, but I am leaving that one alone. I will probably have heaps of questions now that I have started.

www.smallparts.com.au (http://www.smallparts.com.au/)

Thanks Craig, Great website.

watson
5th February 2008, 02:22 PM
I've used an Oatley kit and also one from Dick Smithe. The soft start is available by adding a couple of components to the pulse width Modulator chip.......sounds like a script from a sci-fi movie :U

Fozzy
7th February 2008, 01:12 PM
To work out the speed use the following.

Hope this helps. all you need is the RPM of the motor and the circumference of the wheels.

Thanks Calm,

I finally worked out the speed. With the 200W motor I am looking at with a rated speed of 2750 RPM, the sprocket set they have available at Oatley and a 400 mm diameter wheel, the speed would be 28 Km/h. I think that is probably a bit too fast for my 4 year old daughter.

The motor is rated at 24v and I intend using 12 volt so that should cut it down a fair bit. I suppose I could also use smaller wheels.