PDA

View Full Version : help-replacing switch

rsmolens
5th February 2008, 05:45 AM
I have a jet mini lathe. The switch broke and I'm trying to replace it. I can't seem to figure out how to open the cord clamps so I can thread more cord (cable) through the switch box. I need more cord so I can attach teh 4 prongs to the switch. any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks
Bob

Vernonv
5th February 2008, 10:01 AM
Do you have a picture of the grommet (cable clamp)?

There are lots of different sorts.

rsmolens
6th February 2008, 07:54 AM
I took a rather poor pic with my cell phone camera. I'll ry to post it. the clamp is hard, black plastic that I can turn in the switch box BUT it does not unscrew.

OGYT
6th February 2008, 09:31 AM
RSM, that's the type of clamp that is forced into a mounting hole, and at the same time is forcing the cable into a 'U', or M, and the only way to get them out of the hole is to pry them out. They're cantankerous, to say the least.

Vernonv
6th February 2008, 10:02 AM
It could be one of those two piece thingo's where you have to use pliers to push the two sections together and at the same time push it out. Normally you need to access the two sections from the inside of the panel.

A picture would confirm.

joe greiner
6th February 2008, 11:29 PM
They're called "strain reliefs" or "strain relief bushings." There are special pliers available, but too expensive for one-time use. Easier to bash them with regular pliers and replace with a new bushing. In a city as large as Phillie, electrical supply houses, or someplace like Grainger's, should have new bushings cheap as. Bring the remnants with you to ensure the proper size.

Joe