PDA

View Full Version : Analogue 12 hr Clock and Time Zones

rodm
5th February 2008, 02:40 PM
I want to make a gift for a friend and need to mount three clocks, one for local time, and one his two daughters who live in other time zones. One lives in a time zone 14 hours behind local time.

As an analogue clock only dispalys 12 hours I thought I could have two small holes under each clock that had -12 and +12. A brass pin could be placed in the appropriate hole (-12 in this example) to denote the 12 hour difference and the clock adjusted back two hours for the remainder of the time difference.

Am I on the right track or have I got it totally wrong? Will this work for all times around the world?

rodm
5th February 2008, 03:04 PM
To help visualise it here is a rough drawing.

Calm
5th February 2008, 03:07 PM
I suggest you go on www.cws.au.com (http://www.cws.au.com) and send Jim an email about the availability of clocks that may do what you want.

rodm
5th February 2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks, but my first option was to look over his site and there is nothing in a small desk clock for 24 hours. I am looking at the 36mm face clocks as any larger would look out of place on a desk.

ravlord13
5th February 2008, 04:56 PM
G'day Rod,
Have just been in touch with a mate who is a professional clock maker , he suggests:-
Yes 3 clocks will work.
or alternatives

1.- 24 hour clocks would be easier to tell if it was day or night overseas.
2.- A time clock that can be set for your time and overseas.
3.- A clock with a time ring that can be adjusted for the countrys you want to know the time in.

If you are interersted in fit-ups they are available.
PM me

Catch ya Andrew

joe greiner
6th February 2008, 12:59 AM
If in the northern hemisphere, the actual offset will be 13, 14, or 15 hours, depending on local and distant states of daylight saving time. I have two clocks (ordinary wall clocks) near my computer; one is now at +15 hours from USEST to represent WWF time. It doesn't take too much mental gymnastics to realise that daytime here is night-time there (and vice-versa), but a signal would help. Perhaps an auxiliary clock (with missing minute hand) could be placed within the housing to trip a microswitch (push-on & push-off, I think) to illuminate a bulb on the panel.

Joe

Jim Carroll
6th February 2008, 07:10 AM
Nothing that small for 24hr clocks
The smallest is the world time clocks which have a moveable dial to indicate where the person is and these are 90mm diameter.

L R P
6th February 2008, 07:49 AM
Hi There
You could also try www.jknowles.com.au (http://www.jknowles.com.au)

rodm
6th February 2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am running out of time :rolleyes: so have decided to go the easiest path and mount three 36mm clocks and let him work out the difference plus or minus.