PDA

View Full Version : My CNC Machine SK1

jb2060
5th February 2008, 11:00 PM
Hi All,

I thought I would post some pics of my CNC Machine that I finished back in 2006. I use it predominately to assist in building my guitars. I gave it the name SK1 because it's my sidekick and it is my first machine (and it's easier to write SK1 :) ).

A special mention goes to Rod (rodm) - who initially inspired and guided me through CNC. He is truly passionate about CNC and has produced some really wonderful machines.

If you are interested in my build log, it is located here -
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24893&highlight=jb2060

Ch4iS
6th February 2008, 01:25 AM
Hi All,

I thought I would post some pics of my CNC Machine that I finished back in 2006. I use it predominately to assist in building my guitars. I gave it the name SK1 because it's my sidekick and it is my first machine (and it's easier to write SK1 :) ).

A special mention goes to Rod (rodm) - who initially inspired and guided me through CNC. He is truly passionate about CNC and has produced some really wonderful machines.

If you are interested in my build log, it is located here -
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24893&highlight=jb2060

Nice work, building mine now only wish it looks half as good as yours :)

crocky
6th February 2008, 08:27 AM
Hi Jason,

Nice looking machine you have :) and fine on Rod's influence :)

What type of router are you using?

rodm
6th February 2008, 11:01 AM
Jason has been doing superb work on his machine making guitars. Mother of Pearl inlays are the highlight but he uses it to cut the shape and pockets for the electronics as well. :2tsup:

Greolt
6th February 2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah post some pics of the inlays Jason.

They look great and will show some more of what can be done on CNC.

Greg

jb2060
6th February 2008, 10:14 PM
Hi all,

Here is some recent inlay work I have done. The guitar was only finished a few weeks ago.

The photos show various stages of my inlay process and the completed headstock. The MoP is 1.5mm thick and has been cut with a special shell cutter. The BCM was cut with a 0.4mm cutter and then filled to stand out against the MoP.

The Art Deco symbol in a combination of Abalone and MoP and contains 14 different pieces. The 'jb' is about the size of a 10c piece, to give you an idea how accurate these machines can be.

I also use SK1 for cutting large wood shapes (profiles) and wood pockets on the guitar.

bye for now

rodm
6th February 2008, 10:22 PM
:2tsup:

Greolt
6th February 2008, 10:25 PM
Great stuff Jason.

Thanks for posting.

Greg

Ch4iS
7th February 2008, 01:48 AM
Just curious but do you build the guitars from scratch?

jb2060
9th February 2008, 11:50 PM
"Just curious but do you build the guitars from scratch?"

Yes, everything that is wood or plastic (except bindings) I have made from scratch. When I get eventually build my Mill, I hope to do some of the metal parts also.