PDA

View Full Version : Headstock question.

Alfredo Alamo
6th February 2008, 09:30 AM
Hi you guys, I am from Tampa, Florida. I am a metal sculptor but I am trying to get into turning to incorporate wood to my pieces. My second hobby is building my own tools. So I am going to buil a homemade wood lathe. I have a two questions for you guys.
1.- If I get a heavy duty old unfuctional bench grinder, and attach a pulley in one end of the spindle and a costumized threaded tip on the other end; then connect the pulley to a 2 hp VFD motor with a belt. Can I have a headstock right there?

2.- A metalwork lathe headstock can be used for a woodworking lathe headstock

Thank you so much for your help

Alfredo Alamo

wheelinround
6th February 2008, 09:47 AM
Welcome Alfredo

haven't built my own but many have on these forums one of the members will surely lead you down the path :doh: it could be a long one or the wrong one :D

:2tsup: both your idea's have merit

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2008, 02:09 PM
My father turned wood on a metalwork lathe
I like to think I turn better on the wood lathe :D

hughie
6th February 2008, 04:28 PM
Hi you guys, I am from Tampa, Florida. I am a metal sculptor but I am trying to get into turning to incorporate wood to my pieces. My second hobby is building my own tools. So I am going to buil a homemade wood lathe. I have a two questions for you guys.
1.- If I get a heavy duty old unfuctional bench grinder, and attach a pulley in one end of the spindle and a costumized threaded tip on the other end; then connect the pulley to a 2 hp VFD motor with a belt. Can I have a headstock right there?

2.- A metalwork lathe headstock can be used for a woodworking lathe headstock

Alfredo,

Dont think the grinder idea will a great success. Also a metal work lathe headstock will do but its a lot of work...heaps of work to get it to function plus the speeds may well be to slow......gggrhh :~

Do a search there several examples of home built wood lathes

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=64037&highlight=home+made+lathe+hughie

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=53366

heres a couple to get you started