PDA

View Full Version : super glue removal

macca2
21st December 2003, 05:30 PM
g'day all.........I find myself in the position of having to remove super glue from a malemine or laminex kitchen bench top.

Any ideas............would acetone work and would it be harmful to the surface of the bench top.

This is rather embarrassing and needs urgent attention before WW3.

Macca

Baz
21st December 2003, 07:26 PM
Macca, I believe finger nail polish remover works.
Cheers
Barry

gatiep
21st December 2003, 10:00 PM
Macca

See the pm from me

Cya
Joe

macca2
21st December 2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks Baz

Joe........what the hell are you on about????

Macca

gatiep
21st December 2003, 10:43 PM
Macca.......I have sent you a pm ( private message) re the super glue.

Shane Watson
22nd December 2003, 10:48 AM
gatiep, why not post it here for all to read your wisdom? :confused:

gatiep
22nd December 2003, 01:40 PM
Shane

1) The product is not freely available in households
2) It is classed a hazardous substance and not available in 'small quantities'.
3) There is a tendency in Australia to let BIG BROTHER take responsibility for ones actions instead of us just applying common sence. For instance sueing a council because one dived head first into a sandbank on the beach. Hey the sea forms and 'unforms' sandbanks all the time....but somebody other than ourselves must be responsible for our actions and sometimes stupidity. Hence all the court actions. If somebody uses the stuff and gets a problem, guess who will be in trouble.
4) On the forum it has happened that some guys go absolutely overboard about the dangers of relatively harmless stuff. Hey, even water is dangerous, people drown in it. Cars are dangerous, people die in them.....True but only if they are not used in a safe manner.

As Macca is in Perth I am quite happy to drive over to him if need be to help him out. However putting the info on the board will just spell trouble. I do not want to be involved in a debate about the pros and cons of the substance ad infinitum, for that reason I pm'ed Macca.

You asked 'why not', I have endeavoured to give you my reasons in full. Bearing in mind that I spent my 'previous life' around chemicals and drugs for over 30 years, I have respect for them but not a fear.

Regards
Joe

Markw
22nd December 2003, 03:27 PM
Joe
I understand and agree with your sentiments with regard to liability, and some of the knuckle head replies once someone has provided their wisdom.

It is a sad enditement on many of the members of this forum that advice provided is not massaged by others to provide an even better understanding of an issue. Instead the advice is outright flamed to pieces.

Note no smiley face, nothing funny here.

Mark

Ben from Vic.
22nd December 2003, 05:02 PM
A perfectly good answer has probably already been given, but I was just wondering if a chisel might work?
(if it's that glossy laminex)

anyone??

Ben.

Wood Borer
22nd December 2003, 06:24 PM
Gatiep had the choice between keeping his mouth shut on the issue in which case Macca2 would not have a good solution or Gatiep could have advised Macca2 and everyone else to use what Gatiep perceives as a potentially dangerous (in the wrong hands) solution (excuse the possible pun). If Gatiep had taken the second option, he felt he could have exposed some people to risk and to himself to possible legal action or threat.

Although most people using this Bulletin Board are sensible and steer clear of danger Gatiep raises a valid point in there are perhaps people who read advice on this Bulletin Board and perhaps aren’t so careful. Even if they caused themselves damage and could not take legal action, Gatiep seems to be the type of person who would feel terrible if his advice caused an injury.

Like most others except Gatiep I have no knowledge of the solution therefore I am not in a position to judge Gatiep’s decision not to reveal the solution.

I admire Gatiep taking the middle ground and offering a solution to Macca2 without exposing himself or anyone else to risk. It demonstrates he is a thoughtful and caring person.

- Wood Borer (in a reflective mood)

gatiep
22nd December 2003, 10:16 PM
Thanks all for your understanding. I am not trying to keep a secret, if anybody really has a problem removing cyanoacrylate in the future, I can be contacted by pm or email but please bear in mind that the substance is not freely available or available in small quantities.

I use a lot of cyano as I use it to glue small and not so small segmented objects for turning. It is pricey but it saves hours of clamping and holding....kind of rubbing your tummy and patting your head stuff.

Macca has my phone number and I said that I would gladly take a drive to his house to help if necessary.

Cya
Joe

Shane Watson
22nd December 2003, 10:35 PM
Hahaha...did ya check with ya lawyer before posting that response... :D

Seriously though I wasn't trying to insist on you posting the info. But I would be interested in hearing your solution, as I too work quite a bit with the stuff in question. So PM me if you would please sir...

Cheers!

DanP
23rd December 2003, 01:41 AM
Agree wholeheartedly with Joe's logic for not posting his info. There should be a stupidity clause relating to civil litigation. If what you did was the result of your own stupidity - no payout. I know a bloke who got sued and lost because his ver expensive and very well trained Doberman (German bred) bit a burglar who was about to make off with some of his hard earned property. The Doberman removed all four fingers and the end of the crooks thumb :D. Believe it or not the crook sued for loss of earnings. He didn't even work. His earnings lost were the illegal gains he made selling stolen goods. He won his estimated lost earnings and then some for pain and suffering. The bloke had to cough up over ten thousand dollars to a bloke who admitted in court that his sole earnings were from ripping off people's houses and selling the goods.:mad: The court system has gone Ken Bruce. (completely mad) I'll probably get sued by the court for posting this.:rolleyes:

Dan

Eastie
23rd December 2003, 08:24 AM
When will the legal industry wake up to the fact that in life, only death and taxes are guaranteed :confused:
It seems their version of this saying includes civil claims and compensation.

PS - Last time I went in to the casualty ward in hospital in the big smoke they were dealing with a bloke who had somehow got superglue up his nose and all over his fingers - it seems some people are just pre-disposed to nasty accidents :D

Wood Borer
23rd December 2003, 11:23 AM
Dan P,

Sounds like the crook was light fingered!

- Wood Borer:D