PDA

View Full Version : American Choppers

forunna
7th February 2008, 06:15 PM
There are a lot of shows on pay TV about building flashy V-twin choppers. Every man and his dog seems to be building them.
I always wonder if the streets of the USA are awash with these radical machines.

Do you actually see these type of bikes on the street? any one know?

wheelinround
7th February 2008, 06:21 PM
Yes there are about 4 living near by they get a run on sundays you know when you siting relaxing and its quiet

woodcutta
7th February 2008, 10:32 PM
Having lived in the states for 3 years I can say I dont recall seeing very many, mostly genuine Harleys, but then again I was living in Milwaukee - home of the Harley.

I visited their factory a couple of times, very impressive automation used there producing engines.

woodcutta

Honorary Bloke
7th February 2008, 11:15 PM
There are a lot of shows on pay TV about building flashy V-twin choppers. Every man and his dog seems to be building them.
I always wonder if the streets of the USA are awash with these radical machines.

Do you actually see these type of bikes on the street? any one know?

The prevalence of these machines varies greatly by region in the US. In the West (California, Arizona) you see them a lot. In the East, not so many. It may be partly because they are not all that great in urban areas and need some open, straight, space to run. Also partly because the motorcycle clubs (meaning gangs, like Hell's Angels) favour them and they are much more active in the West.

forunna
8th February 2008, 12:29 AM
Interesting.
I love watching the shows as they build them.
some are in cluttered old sheds with a few basic tools and others are in huge state-of-the-art facilites with every tool and machine imaginable.

Eli
8th February 2008, 09:22 AM
Like Bob said. West Coast mostly. In LA you would rarely drive without seeing one or two, and many many of my workmates had them. I did a film w/ Pitt when he was first getting into bikes and he came into work on a new custom job every day for two weeks and I never saw the same one twice. When you're rich you never have to pay for anything....