PDA

View Full Version : What the elderly dog with arthritis is seen in these days.

JMB
8th February 2008, 03:24 PM
My 14 1/2 year old dog has very bad arthritis. He still loves getting out for walks but ends up needing to be carried most of the time, which gets tiring for me even though he's only 9kgs. The solution - Otto's Red Wagon! Today was the first day we ventured out for a walk with the wagon, Otto seemed to enjoy himself, and we only had 2 neighbours laugh at us.

wheelinround
8th February 2008, 03:47 PM
JMB you forgot the food bowl and water maybe satelite TV

oops forgot looks great and the kids will love it to

Gra
8th February 2008, 03:48 PM
Great swap meet trolley there.....

What you pay for the dog:;:U:2tsup:

DavidG
8th February 2008, 03:53 PM
Any one who laughs has never known the unreserved love that a dog give.

Love it.

JMB
8th February 2008, 03:59 PM
The wagon was bought cheaply over the internet. Would like to make a few alterations to make it a bit more groovy and functional. Figure I have to give my dog some quality of life during his remaining time as he's been such a good friend and can't do much himself anymore. Maybe making the neighbours laugh helps brighten there day.

abitfishy
8th February 2008, 06:42 PM
Thats fantastic JMB, love it.

I've been involved in dog rescue and rehoming from pounds for several years and can't help but smile at it.

Would love to see a pic of underneath the cart to see how its built though.....any chance?

Give him a big pat for me! :)

DJ’s Timber
8th February 2008, 07:20 PM
Love it :U, who cares what other people think, looks like he loves it and that is all the matters :2tsup:

JMB
8th February 2008, 07:42 PM
abitfishy, will send you a photo of the base tomorrow. I did voluntary work for the RSPCA a couple of years ago and it was the best job I've ever had. I am grateful to you, DJ's timber etc for such positive feedback. I am posting another photo of my partners dog, Molly, who does NOT have arthritis but was grateful today for assistance up a couple of hills when we went for a walk. Police officer in the left front of the wagon has dog biscuits in it - just checking to make sure they fitted!

tea lady
8th February 2008, 09:31 PM
I think its missing the gold canopy with fringe and bells. :2tsup: Glad to see you have dog biscuits installed in case of marooning.:D

rgum
9th February 2008, 08:56 PM
Good on you for thinking about him....your mate!
His legs may be shot but his brain still ticks over so getting him out and about will keep him going longer.
Well done. Love it. :2tsup:

Woodlee
9th February 2008, 09:44 PM
Fantastic , I think you deserve a medal for thinking of your mate .I'm sure he appreciates the effort you have gone to ,to make him comfortable .
My Husky would have a great time pulling that cart .
Maybe when my arthritis gets that bad I cant walk him ,he can walk me.
I know what pain your dog is going through , I suffer with arthritis ,it makes walking very painful, but I still walk my dog every night.

Kev

JMB
9th February 2008, 10:32 PM
Second outing with Otto and the wagon today and we made it all the way around the block - first time in many many months. My partner and I actually got to walk a bit rather than do a very slow step, step, stand...step, step, stand...lift Otto, carry, carry etc etc. Four neighbours came out to admire wagon and Otto actually did quite a bit of walking on his own, in between rests in the wagon. Nice to have positive feedback from this thread in my head as we walked.:U

Partner and I are thinking wagon definitely needs new paint job, basket for carrying leads etc, and perhaps chrome exhaust pipe.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2008, 10:57 PM
Sounds like Otto enjoyed the walk too, which is the important thing.

He might not be too happy if you try to fit him with an exhaust pipe though... :oo:

clubbyr8
10th February 2008, 05:03 AM
Love it. Love the expression on his face.

If you're going to "do it up", don't forget the mirrors and a set of mags or chromies :D:D

Chesand
10th February 2008, 07:11 AM
Dogs that give you so much pleasure deserve to be well looked after in their later years.

Good on you

abitfishy
10th February 2008, 09:35 AM
Partner and I are thinking wagon definitely needs new paint job, basket for carrying leads etc, and perhaps chrome exhaust pipe.

You need somewhere to hang the fluffy dice, and replace those wheels with some 'fully sik' mags :D. Oh, and a stereo with some doof doof music.

Big Shed
10th February 2008, 10:19 AM
You need somewhere to hang the fluffy dice, and replace those wheels with some 'fully sik' mags :D. Oh, and a stereo with some doof doof music.

Shouldn't that be "woof woof" music?:D

JMB
10th February 2008, 11:07 AM
Abitfishy, here's a couple of photos of the underneath of the wagon. Seems a bit better made than the woodwork on the top. The only problem so far is that it is very hilly around here, and wagon is a bit hard to control going downhill.

wheelinround
11th February 2008, 08:38 AM
Hilly around Bundanoon :oo: rode pushbikes down the hill which goes to the National Park break blocks spat the dummy and went flying into the bush hurtling over the handle bars sprawling into an ants nest.
Its a long walk back up that hill with a buckled wheel.

tea lady
11th February 2008, 08:55 AM
:rotfl:....... Schadenfreuder is a terrible affliction.

JMB
11th February 2008, 02:28 PM
Wheelinround, we have actually moved from Bundanoon to the Blue Mountains but I think you could easily have the same sort of accident around here on a bike.

Otto has decided that the wagon is quite nice thankyou very much, but with one of the wheelchairs shown below a dog like himself could still run and chase balls [ though maybe not down the hills around here!].

JMB
17th February 2008, 06:27 PM
Have had daily trips out with the wagon. Am finding big change with Otto - he hassles us all day to go out for a walk, which is what he used to be like before the arthritis set in. He is also walking a lot further than before we got the wagon and today ran for a good part of our trip around the block. I kept putting him into the wagon and he kept standing up wanting to walk by himself. Would never have imagined that getting him this wagon would have such a positive effect on him.:D

tea lady
17th February 2008, 08:43 PM
Sounds like he's excited about life again. Maybe we all need souped up wheels at a certain age?:U

forunna
21st February 2008, 01:00 AM
JMB, I loved reading about Ottos exploits.
well done.
I wish you many more walks together.

madrat
21st February 2008, 12:42 PM
Well done JMB!!!:2tsup:
Always love to hear what good people do for their pets!
I am sure he appreciates and loves you for what you did for him.
Good on ya!
Excellent wagon :U
Long live the cruisin' dude!

WoodJunky
21st February 2008, 11:05 PM
Fantastic , I think you deserve a medal for thinking of your mate .I'm sure he appreciates the effort you have gone to ,to make him comfortable .Just finished reading this post and I agree with Woodlee,
:2tsup:well done.:2tsup:

JMB
23rd June 2009, 07:08 PM
Had to have my beloved old dog Otto put down today. I cant believe how much I am going to miss him. He ended up needing to be carried everywhere, but we made sure his quality of life meant we could justify not having him put down until today, when his health suddenly deteriorated. So long my friend.

wheelinround
23rd June 2009, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear JMB

jaguarrh
23rd June 2009, 08:16 PM
My sympathies JMB

I had to do the same 6 months ago, I know your pain.

Chin up mate, you gave him a great life.

Rob

WoodJunky
23rd June 2009, 10:35 PM
So Sorry to hear of your loss JMB

you certainly did your very best to make make your old friend as comfortable as possible

It is a sad day for you today but as jaguarrh said

"Chin up mate, you gave him a great life."

Brendan

tea lady
23rd June 2009, 10:59 PM
:C So sorry to hear. I just had to go and give mine a pat. She is only 2 1/2, but I can surely imagine that she would love a little wagon too in her final years. Hopefully a bit of a way of yet. Wonderful that you gave her so much care. :)

JMB
23rd June 2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies. Otto and I spent 16 yrs together and I am very grateful he survived until today. But he will be very sadly missed.

wolften
24th June 2009, 09:00 AM
So sorry for the passing of your mate, JMB. My thoughts are with you.

Glenn

ian
24th June 2009, 12:10 PM
very sorry to hear

prozac
12th July 2009, 06:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your mate JMB. They have such a big part in your life you never forget them.

JMB
13th July 2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks Wolften, Ian and Prozac. I am on holiday at the moment and I keep missing my lovely old Otto.