PDA

View Full Version : Timber from the Solomon Islands

InkSpot
9th February 2008, 03:06 PM
I have some landowner friends in the Solomon Islands who would like to sell their timber but want it done properly. The alternative is to get the Malaysian companies currently there to do it for them but they prefer a better alternative. I don't know much about the process and cannot help them, but is there somewhere any practical knowledge about possibilities. One friend has planted teak trees that are now some 5 years old and he wants to sell them in a few years time. What is the go?

dadpad
10th February 2008, 11:23 PM
I can probably help with this but I will be away for a week or so. Hang tight I'll see what I can do.

I seem to recall one of the major companies (ITC?) looking for staff for a solomans project.

jmaxwell
11th February 2008, 09:59 PM
because they have time seek out someone who has timber milling skills who would back the land owners to provide equipment& knowledge . This is being done now by others with portable mills filling containers with sawn boards and transported to Brisbane for further processing through kilns and planers. hope this gives some help

InkSpot
11th February 2008, 10:30 PM
because they have time seek out someone who has timber milling skills who would back the land owners to provide equipment& knowledge . This is being done now by others with portable mills filling containers with sawn boards and transported to Brisbane for further processing through kilns and planers. hope this gives some help
Thanks jmaxwell. One family has 400 hectares and wants selected trees taken out and others have more that 400 hectares each on different islands. I am told there are some expensive hardwoods including rosewood involved and you may be looking at potentially a lot of money, I guess.

prozac
12th February 2008, 10:29 PM
I know a bloke who has imported small quantities of timber from there-abouts as part of a eco-sustainable business called African Pacific. His blurb says;
-African Pacific is a dedicated Australian Fair Trade Company focusing on the production of certified organic virgin coconut oil and wild harvest products in the South Pacific. Through our certified organic 100% coconut oil brand Nui, and other Fair Trade projects including Cocoa, Timber, Paper and Handy crafts, African Pacific is committed to empowering island communities to achieve sustainable socio-economic development through our charter- “Fair Trade for a Fair Go”

So there you go, his ethic is to empower the natural inhabitants of the region into their own businesses. Just look up African Pacific or Nui Coconut and contact Andreas. He may be able to help you out.

prozac

InkSpot
13th February 2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks Prozac, I will check them out and see what they offer. There are many indiscriminate 'rip-out' timber practices going on which is causing a lot of damage including the destruction of the biggest atoll in the world situated in the Western Province caused by land degradation.

dadpad
14th February 2008, 06:27 PM
Before contacting any harvesting companies your friends need to know what they actually really have.
Take note that Logging in the Solomons has been a very dangerous business in the past.

It will be well worthwhile investing in an independent consultant in forest measurement.
This link provides the names and contact details of Registered Professional Foresters (RPF) affiliated with the Australian Forestry Institute.
http://www.forestry.org.au/ifa/h/h1-ifa.asp
There are other reputable foresters and I do nor mean to apply that those not listed are somehow inferior. this is just a convenient way of giving you some contacts.

Check and contact those that seem suitable.

I am a member of IFA but not an (RPA).

Basically what will happen is that forest areas will be mapped using GPS and digital technology. A number of random sample plots equivalent to 2-3% of the harvest area will be selected and measured for height, small end diameter (sed) large end diameter (LED) and stocking (number of trees per ha.) These figures will be averaged over the forest and a figure will be arrived at that will give a close indication of the volume (tonnes and cubic meters) of timber available and quality grades. Without this information your friends are open to abuse from unscrupulouse traders.
RPF's can also assist with contracting and monitoring harvest companies, choosing markets and potential sell timeframes

It may be worth contacting Yhe New Zealand Institute of foresters.
http://www.forestry.org.nz/

Further information:
In the Solomon Islands, the SIDT (Solomon Island Development Trust) is running a project. The Eco-Forestry Unit, which concentrates on teaching chainsaw-milling and forest management.
Forestry Division
Ministry of Natural Resources
P.O. Box G 24
Honiara, Solomon Islands
Tel: (677) 21521

Heli Harvest (Newzeland) may be worth contacting as much of the Solomons timber is in steep country.
http://www.heliharvest.co.nz/heliharvest/TimberHarvesting/

InkSpot
14th February 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks Dadpad.
I think there are lots of organsations etc. but the reality is that there are several Malysian companies harvesting timber in the Solomons and exporting it to other countries. The landowners I know are complaining about the lack of transparancy and the little money they finish up with in the end. I know there are operators who spend time visiting the areas, assessing the availability of timber, making deals with the owners and then organise the cutting, transport, shipping etc. Plus, of course do all the peripheral work such as ensuring that an export licence is a certainty, ensure that there is a representative on site to keep the momentum going, dealing with the Melanesian culture (and that is not so easy, I know) and having the money to invest before you can get the proceeds etc. etc. I think that is quite an investment, both in money and other resources, but the rewards can be very substantial. The rainfall is terriffic in most areas and the regeneration can be organised without too many difficulties ensuring future possibilies. About ten years ago I had contact with someone in Brisbane who organised kwila timber from PNG on a big scale but I lost contact. I hope this explains a little what is involved and I know there are people who facilitate this from wow to go. If they are interested they can have the contacts, email addresses and background data from me after I check with some of my friends in the Solomons.

dadpad
15th February 2008, 02:01 AM
ITC are on of Australias leading plantation development companies. It may be worthwhile chatting to them. Mostly I think they are into establishing their own plantations however they may be interested in a standing crop.
http://www.itclimited.com.au/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1380

You and your friends need to recognise that the prices you see for teak etc at retail level can not be used as a comparison for standing timber. however I have absolutly no doubt about the veracity of your claims about ripoffs of growers.

Best of luck

InkSpot
15th February 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for your comments. The accounting and overall managment process is not a problem at all. The practical oraganisation of getting in there and providing the necessary resources on the ground is a different matter and that is probably where the whole thing will never eventuate the way it should. In this case poor Solomon Islanders desperately needing some money rather than none at all and will take the only option that is open to them and that is a real shame. We are talking about forest timber now but this forum is not on fish because that is also a real tragedy there and believe me a very big issue affecting us all as well.

woodage
25th August 2008, 01:07 PM
Please look at the Eco Forestry and Community Based Fair trade programs from Greenpeace and IFAT. Have a look at the Greenpeace (http://www.greenpeace.com.au) and Forcert (http://www.forcert.org.pg) websites for details.

MAPLEMAN
5th July 2009, 10:35 PM
My understanding is that there is very little forest left standing on the Solomon Islands,thanks to greedy timber companies.Leave what's remaining well alone i say!!! There will be nothing left otherwise.My advice to everyone is DON'T buy timber that comes from the Solomom Islands,instead purchase sustainably harvested timber grown in Australia.Bugger the imports....:(MAPLEMAN