PDA

View Full Version : I guess it has to do with woodwork

gatiep
23rd December 2003, 11:31 PM
Perhaps we all need one of these in our workshops.....sometimes!

AlexS
24th December 2003, 08:38 PM
A timely reminder, Gatiep. Personally, I'm always fanatically careful with machines...which explains how I took the tip off my middle left finger with a marking knife today. Perhaps it should read "No fool is toolproof.":(

gatiep
24th December 2003, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I suppose it can also read ' no fool is machine proof'
Hope that cut is not serious

DarrylF
24th December 2003, 09:10 PM
I should stick that up in the workshop - not sure it would do any good at all though.

I seem to manage to hurt myself every weekend one way or another - usually pretty minor, mostly cuts & just annoying. It's genetic.

My dad is terrible. Watched him drill a 3/8" hole half way through his hand once - looked like he'd been crucified. Blood everywhere. He's stuck fencing wire several inches under the skin of his forearm, cooked the back of his hand with an oxy welder, ripped his side open with a claw hammer - you name it he's done it.

He even cut his head open on the grille on the back of a fridge once. Decided he'd fix the collar around the chimney of a wood fired heater. Didn't have a ladder, so he stuck a chair on the laminex kitchen table and climbed on top. Of course the chair slid & he fell off - hitting his head on the back of the fridge. Amazing.

He sets a good example of what NOT to do :)

AlexS
24th December 2003, 09:13 PM
Not serious, thanks Gatie. As the black knight said, just a flesh wound.

DanP
27th December 2003, 04:04 PM
Darryl,

I think I would stand at least 10 feet away from your dad when he's in the workshop.:D If it's genetic then I might be too close...:)

Dan

DPB
29th December 2003, 04:49 AM
I consider myself an absolute stickler when it comes to shop safety. I've got all the safety gear I can afford, and use it religiously.

My reasoning is that if I don't - I'll start taking short cuts one of which will eventually catch me out.

Well, there I was on Christmas day carving the Christmas turkey. You guessed it - I sliced myself along with the turkey meet. Fortunately the damage to the two fingers I cut was a clean slice through my finger nails - and red is a Christmas colour anyway:D .

No real serious damage - and by the time I get back to Melbourne from Canada - they should be well healed.

But this was a reminder to me that the work shop should not be the only place one practices caution and safety.

Caliban
1st January 2004, 10:19 PM
Darryl,
The worst thing I've ever done was chopping firewood one rainy night, so I did it under the carport. Worse still, under the clothesline under the carport. It started out ok until one piece was being particularly stubborn and required more effort. So I really applied the effort and the axe head caught one of the lines. The recoil when the line refused to break resulted in me splitting my head open with the handle just above my hands. Blood everywhere hurt like you wouldn't believe. Lucky it was only the handle and not the business end.
So don't be so hard on yourself.
Cheers
Jim