PDA

View Full Version : Leigh dovetail jig Super 12 - need tips!

RockyRR
9th February 2008, 11:57 PM
I just received my new Leigh dovetail jig, a Super 12. For many years I have been using one that I bought at Sears. Now, I'm sort of overwhelmed by the Leigh instructions on how to use it. I did get it assembled with no problem. So, now I'm looking for any tips that you folks may have regarding its use.

Thanks,
Rocky

Tex B
10th February 2008, 09:36 AM
Rocky,

Best tip I received on the Leigh was to set up two routers: one with the dovetail bit and one with the straight bit. Lets you switch back and forth easily, and if (when) I make a mistake, I don't have to reset the depth.

Tex

munruben
10th February 2008, 10:29 AM
You can see some of the Leigh jigs in action HERE (http://www.leighjigs.com/vids.php) you might get some ideas from those.

RockyRR
10th February 2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks, folks!

munruben
10th February 2008, 11:53 AM
You're welcome. good luck and have fun with your new toy.:)

Carry Pine
10th February 2008, 08:34 PM
What router do you have, Rocky?

CP

RockyRR
10th February 2008, 08:53 PM
What router do you have, Rocky?

CP

I have a Rockwell and a Craftsman; however, they both have only a 1/4 inch collet and the Leigh bits are 8 MM and require use of an adapter in a 1/2 inch collet. So, I bought an inexpensive, no name brand router on Ebay that has a 1/2 inch collet. I made a new bottom plate for it out of plexiglas so I could use the bushing assembly from Leigh. I haven't tried to use the jig yet.
Are you glad that you asked? :U

Burnsy
10th February 2008, 09:24 PM
Guys, check your router manual or parts list. I was able to order an 8mm collet cone from makita for my 3620 for the huge sum of $7. This negates the need for collet adapters :D and it is as simple as swapping back to the old cone to use my 1/4 inch bits.

RockyRR
10th February 2008, 11:10 PM
Guys, check your router manual or parts list. I was able to order an 8mm collet cone from makita for my 3620 for the huge sum of $7. This negates the need for collet adapters :D and it is as simple as swapping back to the old cone to use my 1/4 inch bits.

I'm not sure I understand how the collet cone works. Are you saying that a router that only has a 1/4 inch collet can use a collet cone to increase to 8 MM?

Burnsy
10th February 2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure I understand how the collet cone works. Are you saying that a router that only has a 1/4 inch collet can use a collet cone to increase to 8 MM?

With some routers and models yes. Makita for instance make a 1/4 inch 3/8 inch, 6mm and 8mm cone for the 3620. In the manual it shows these parts, I think that in Australia they are generally shipped with a 1/4 and 3/8 inch cone whereas in Europe they ship with a 6mm and 8mm cone. The cone is the piece inside the router shaft that grabs the shaft of the router bit.

RockyRR
11th February 2008, 02:21 AM
With some routers and models yes. Makita for instance make a 1/4 inch 3/8 inch, 6mm and 8mm cone for the 3620. In the manual it shows these parts, I think that in Australia they are generally shipped with a 1/4 and 3/8 inch cone whereas in Europe they ship with a 6mm and 8mm cone. The cone is the piece inside the router shaft that grabs the shaft of the router bit.

Interesting! I didn't think you could have a cone that could fit into a 1/4 inch collet and ramp up the size to 8MM or 3/8.