PDA

View Full Version : Testing a Subwoofer

Strungout
10th February 2008, 03:43 PM
Hi,

How can I test a Subwoofer .It does not seem to be working.

TIA

Harry72
10th February 2008, 07:17 PM
Try a different input signal.

AV Elec
10th February 2008, 07:20 PM
Hi,

How can I test a Subwoofer .It does not seem to be working.

TIA

More information would help. Active, passive sub, what type of connections, confirmed audio source?

It could be a setting in your surround sound receiver. Sometimes they can be quite complicated.

Strungout
10th February 2008, 08:19 PM
More information would help. Active, passive sub, what type of connections, confirmed audio source?

It could be a setting in your surround sound receiver. Sometimes they can be quite complicated.

It is a Wharfdale Active (Model SW10.) It is connected to the "sub" output on the Yamaha 5.1 amp .It was working OK a couple of days ago.I have checked the fuse on the sub. No settings on the amp have changed.

There is a Red led on at the back of the sub ,and this won't go off,even when the power is off- which kind of doesn't make any sense!

Does this sound like I know what I am talking about :oo:

scooter
10th February 2008, 09:26 PM
Only way I've "tested" a speaker before is briefly connecting a AAA battery to the terminals on the speaker, to identify the polarity (phase?) of the speaker if the terminals are unmarked. Cone should travel outwards when the + and - on the battery are connected to their respective opposite numbers on the speaker.

Harry72
10th February 2008, 11:32 PM
The red light probably means off, if its not changing to green(or ever colour)it may not be sensing a input signal... have you tried a different input signal yet?(just plug in a xbox or PS3... even a walkman)If its got an input level or gain knob turn it too its lowest setting 1st before testing.

Scooter you cant check the polarity of a active sub using a battery.

Strungout
11th February 2008, 07:45 PM
I pluged the output of a portable FM radio into it and nothing ! When I turn it off and on ,it does make a "thump"

The red lead does go off about after about 5 mins.

scooter
11th February 2008, 10:12 PM
Scooter you cant check the polarity of a active sub using a battery.

Yeah, true enough, Harry, didn't see past his original post. :D

Harry72
11th February 2008, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a switching problem or the power supply is cactus, take it in to be looked at by a pro.
Lemme guess the guarantee just run out? (dont'cha hate that!)

AV Elec
11th February 2008, 11:04 PM
I pluged the output of a portable FM radio into it and nothing ! When I turn it off and on ,it does make a "thump"

The red lead does go off about after about 5 mins.

does the manual mention the red light? It may say that it changes colour when it detects signal.

If it makes a thump, and the red light goes on the power supply seems fine.

try changing the auto switch?

Try connecting speaker wires to the speaker inputs, instead of using line level inputs.

Could be simply a wire come off from the input terminals, into the amplifier inside. Be careful as it could take some time for the caps to discharge, so leave it off for half an hour before you open it up.

sol381
12th February 2008, 08:37 AM
normally you can test all speakers by pressing test tone on the receiver remote.. double check all connections and make sure the volume is turned up about half way on the sub

Strungout
16th February 2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for your help and replies.

I rang some repair shops and and they were basically saying it would not be worth fixing.

Anyway,I kind of decided on getting a new one but I thought I would have a look inside to see if there was anything that looked cooked or blown.

I found 2 fuses on the board and guess what ,1 was blown.I went down and invested 20 cents in a new fuse and its working.

Thanks

kiwigeo
16th February 2008, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a couple of useless repair shops. They missed an opportunity to change out a 20 cent fuse and charge you $200 for the repair job :D