PDA

View Full Version : wizards wand

cadeuceus
10th February 2008, 07:03 PM
here is a pic of a wizards wand that i turned on my new lathe. I laminated pine around a contrasting hard wood core.

Sawdust Maker
10th February 2008, 07:22 PM
Looks good ...but does it work? :D

hughie
10th February 2008, 08:17 PM
Harry Potter eat your heart out! :U

well done. :2tsup:

woodbe
10th February 2008, 09:43 PM
What sort of feather is in it?

Phoenix is pretty effective I hear. Of course all this talk is no good if the wand is not matched to it's owner.

woodbe.

cadeuceus
10th February 2008, 09:46 PM
the wand chooses the wizard, woodbe

watson
10th February 2008, 10:17 PM
BZAAP!
Apart from the wizardry.....very nice turning.

artme
10th February 2008, 10:32 PM
Very neat piece of work.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
11th February 2008, 09:33 AM
May I try it out see if I can swish up a couple of acres a large shed complete with tools and good stock of wood and steel

very nice Cad :2tsup:

robynmau
12th February 2008, 09:17 AM
Oh wow, it's great, my nieces would just love that one:2tsup:

Cheers

Robyn

cadeuceus
12th February 2008, 12:42 PM
I know that this might not be the forum for it, and i am very aware that there are many other more experienced woodies in this forum, but based on feedback (here and in real life) from the wand that i have done, i am wondering if any people would be interested in buying a wand like it or made to order. Just putting it out there as i am looking to start making toys and other things to sell at the local markets. thanks for your interest.

Harry72
12th February 2008, 05:24 PM
If you made a little "wizard and witches" kit up I reckon they'd probably sell like hot cakes!
A kit might contain, the wand, a witches hat and a cape.

cadeuceus
12th February 2008, 06:09 PM
but the big question would be - what to charge?

Harry72
13th February 2008, 09:08 AM
Prob no more than $30~40.
The profit margin may not be real high... but it may help attract customers to your other products.

cadeuceus
13th February 2008, 12:04 PM
thanks for the suggestions - i was thinking around $30 also. I could do definitely do the cape and hat combination as well, perhaps charging $50 for the lot.

woodbe
13th February 2008, 01:36 PM
We bought one in NZ from a turner who has a workshop/shop at the Christchurch craft markets and I think we paid about $20-$30 for it.

He didn't have any Phoenix feathers either... :)

woodbe.

markharrison
13th February 2008, 02:12 PM
I remember going into a shop in Sedona (in Arizona) which is a very "new-agey" place and seeing "magic wands" on sale. I can't remember the prices (this was the early 90's) but I know it was a lot more than $30-40. Maybe they had real Phoenix feathers in them. Phoenix being just down the road on the interstate! :;:D

They seemed to be very unconscious of how silly this looked but if you have been to Sedona you would probably understand why.

Still, I highly recommend a visit to Sedona if you're in the area. It's extremely beautiful and the new-age nut jobs don't detract from that.

ravlord13
13th February 2008, 05:45 PM
I know that this might not be the forum for it, and i am very aware that there are many other more experienced woodies in this forum, but based on feedback (here and in real life) from the wand that i have done, i am wondering if any people would be interested in buying a wand like it or made to order. Just putting it out there as i am looking to start making toys and other things to sell at the local markets. thanks for your interest.

G'day cadeuceus,
There is a guy who sells them at a local market down here, He puts them in a crapy pine box he makes as well.
Don't know what he gets for them but he sells a few.
Have also seen them on E-Bay.

Got to be worth trying a few
Cheers Andrew