PDA

View Full Version : Launceston Sites

Carry Pine
10th February 2008, 08:47 PM
I will be in Launceston for 2 half-days this month with time to 'kill'. Is there a Launcestonite who can recommend some good visiting spots for a 'woodie' please? Not the normal touristy spots or Bunnings- you know what I mean!

Carry Pine

I_wanna_Shed
10th February 2008, 09:02 PM
In Launceston there is a Tourist Info shop on a corner (I'm guessing there aren't too many!). Diagonally opposite this there was a wood & art gallery. There were some very good pieces in there (from small boxes to large tables and chairs).

It was the only woodie thing I could see in Launie from my short time there. Although based on the rest of the state, there should be plenty more.

If you are partial to the odd beer, the Boags factory tour is a must see (needs to be booked ahead though).

Cheers,
Nathan.

Sleeping Dog
10th February 2008, 10:04 PM
mmmmm......Boags St. George, very nice drop.

The timber and furniture gallery is next to the park, Queens park I think, the one with the monkeys

Peter.

KevM
11th February 2008, 08:36 AM
mmmmm......Boags St. George, very nice drop.

The timber and furniture gallery is next to the park, Queens park I think, the one with the monkeys

Peter.

It is in Tamar St, virtually opposite Cameron St, adjacent to the main entrance to City Park. The original building used to be called "Little Theatre" or something like that in a previous life.

Non woodie but take a walk up the Launceston Gorge with you camera. Walk straight up Paterson St until you cross the old iron bridge, it was built in England in sections and assembled, there are photos of it being floated into place, then walk on the track up the side of the Gorge until you reach the First Basin, chair lift & suspension bridge. You could then continue further up to the first Hydro power station built in the southern hemisphere.

wheelinround
11th February 2008, 10:20 AM
Agree with KevM about the Gorge walk ok roll

The lolly factory with its wooden mill is worth a look to at the back of the motel just prior the bridge Oh take a bottle of water with you on that walk its long :2tsup:

Carry Pine
19th February 2008, 08:35 PM
Thank you to all the contributors. Leaving in the morning for Launceston. Being picked up Thursday to go on one of the Tarkine Forest walks. If I see a Tassy Tiger or I'm attacked by one you'll hear about it.

Graham

robyn2839
22nd March 2008, 10:12 PM
you will love the forest walk, dont forget to see the biggest tree about 4 ks back from the walk, trust me it is bl...y huge, and its probubly grown since i was there last week. bob