PDA

View Full Version : Turning Balls

Sir Stinkalot
24th December 2003, 06:35 PM
Hey,

I was visiting Carbatec today to get a new bandsaw blade and noticed that they had a new arrival of timber .... as I was with the boss I had limited viewing time ..... The boss spotted a 100mm square cube of Rose gum and asked what I could do with it .... I quickly responded that I could turn a ball for the cat to chase around the house. It seemed to win the boss over so I allowed to purchase it.

Now after the long winded start here is the question .....

Normally the timber would be mounted with the grain running parallel to the lathe bed ... ie the end grain is facing the head and tail stock ......

what would happen .... if anything if I turned the ball with the end grain running perpendicular to the lathe bed? Would it be harder, easier, look different or look the same?

Stinky.

gatiep
24th December 2003, 08:05 PM
You either have a helluva big cat or you intend to make lots of shavings in making that ball.

I don't think anything would change except that the chances of getting cross grain tear out will be greater due to the endgrain 'moving faster' over the cutting edge. If the tools are razor sharp, light cuts and she'll be sweet.

Cya
Joe

fxst
24th December 2003, 10:36 PM
Turn em too fast and they will twist right off and hurt like the blazes ...........................oops sorry wrong thoughts
Pete:D