PDA

View Full Version : Help Please Is my husband right! installed incorrectly?

Lipsmacker01
11th February 2008, 12:04 PM
We have a sliding door and my husband is convinced that it was installed wrongly. He says that on the left side the glass panel should be further outside and that the right hand side panel should be more inside?

Does that make sense?

Could it be reversed? He's thought about doing this once or twice.

Heres some pics

Please let me know if picture doesnt come through properly and Ill redo as Im new here. Thanks guys

DJ’s Timber
11th February 2008, 12:26 PM
Not quite sure what you mean, because you haven't said which side is the sliding door part.

From the picture, I would say that the left panel is the sliding panel and the right panel is fixed. In most cases, the sliding panel is usually on the inside.

Lipsmacker01
11th February 2008, 03:40 PM
Not quite sure what you mean, because you haven't said which side is the sliding door part.

From the picture, I would say that the left panel is the sliding panel and the right panel is fixed. In most cases, the sliding panel is usually on the inside.

Sorry I should have made it more clear to you all

On the second pic ( the indoors pic) the glass panel on the right slides towards left. The glass on the left is fixed.

So you're thinking its been done incorrectly? Hubby doesnt know if it could be modified to suit or if a whole new door would be required.

It doesnt bother me its just that he always sees it and thinks its wrong!

wheelinround
11th February 2008, 03:51 PM
I guess it depends on the track and door dimention set up as our slider is the inside one yet MiL's is outer

Son works in the industry and when he was doing fittings he found one he had to pull completely apart prior fitting screen as both door and glass had been put forward or someone had put it the wrong way round completely:doh:

silentC
11th February 2008, 03:54 PM
It is unusual but not unheard of, especially with cheaper doors. The reason some cheaper doors have the slider on the outside is because having the slider on the inside means having to provide some method of draining any water that gets in behind the slider track. That means more complex extrusions and extra machining that cost money to produce.

Having the slider on the inside also makes them harder to break into. On some older doors, you could lift the slider from the outside and slide them across if the hook on the latch was facing down. You can't do that if the slider is on the inside, unless you have a suction cup.

No I don't think you can reverse it because the slider track is where it is and you can't move it. I'd say live with it and if you're worried about security, put one of those sliding bolt locks on it.

Edit: No the door has not been put in back to front. It's the way it's meant to be.

C-47
11th February 2008, 03:59 PM
Ah! I think what you are saying is that the sliding door is on the inside of the frame, room side. If that is the case, yes I have seen them on both sides, typically on older installations the sliding door is on the outside of the fixed frame. I suspect the inside arrangement is partly because of security its more difficult to lift the sliding door out of its track from the outside, also with the sliding door outside the tracks get full of sand (at least in WA) which cuts out the plastic rollers fairly quickly. If my understanding of your question is incorrect , disregard this answer.

silentC
11th February 2008, 04:09 PM
I think what you are saying is that the sliding door is on the inside of the frame, room side.
You've got it back to front. The slider is on the outside.