PDA

View Full Version : Logging small limbs from a tree

The Hornet
11th February 2008, 08:33 PM
Hey All,
I know this is probably somewhere else, but i cant be bothered trying to find it, always too hard using the search feature.

I have been given some smallish Camphor by a mates next door neighbour, which is now 4 months old, so a little natural drying has taken place.
There are 4x2.0x40cm dia logs, 3x1.0x60cm dia logs and 2x1.0x75cm dia.
I have 2 problems:
1, what should i use this for
2, how can I mill it myself.

I have access to school Bandsaw, table saw and thicknesser, and I was thinking of hiring a chainsaw, and slabbing the bigger stuff, and drying it on my balcony at home, and turing the smaller stuff, and then drying it in the microwave, then finish turning it down to size.

Any ideas folks.
as a side note, does anyone know how i can subscribe to the ESNET email forum?

Cheers.

artme
11th February 2008, 08:50 PM
Idea is sound.
Make sure your first cut is through the centre.
Don't thickness yet, wait until drying is complete.
Seal ends with appropriate sealer.
Stack to dry out of the weather, especially sun.

thefixer
11th February 2008, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't touch it if I was you. It'll rot your guts, make your hair and teeth fall out and give you dissentry. Probably even kill your dog too.
Send it down here and I'll look after it for you.:D

Cheers
Shorty

The Hornet
11th February 2008, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't touch it if I was you. It'll rot your guts, make your hair and teeth fall out and give you dissentry. Probably even kill your dog too.
Send it down here and I'll look after it for you.:D

Cheers
Shorty
HAHA very good Shorty!
I want to keep the centre slabs as big as possible, so could i flatten the bottom then try and chainsaw it along the length.
Also anytips for how i cam mill it, should i make a cradle first?
Is it easy enough to do, or am I likely to cut my leg off!

Harry72
11th February 2008, 10:16 PM
Cut the "pith" out this will minimise the cracking as it dries.
Pith is the center growth rings of the tree.

hughie
12th February 2008, 11:37 PM
1, what should i use this for
2, how can I mill it myself.

You turn up a bowl or two.........:U

The older the tree its seems have much better colour.Mill it with a chain saw etc

Slab it up it will make a good table top etc.Around the pith area cut it into heavy slabs [ say 100-150mm thick or so ] and you can make some vases etc out of it.

It will dry ok along as you seal the end grain and keep it out of the direct sunlight, draughts/wind etc. Ideally place it in the coolest part of the shed, high ambient temps will cause it to crack...........speaking from experience :~ :C

weisyboy
14th February 2008, 09:01 PM
it is verry hard to cut even streight slabs with a chainsaw by hand.

i cut (split) fence posts freehand i can cut 300 a day but find it verry dificult to cut a even smoth slab. you need to have a very sharp chain and more importantly it must be perfectly evenly sharpend.

you can simply split the log down the center and use the whole lot for turning. it would make some mighty nnice bowls.

hughie
14th February 2008, 09:30 PM
]it is verry hard to cut even streight slabs with a chainsaw by hand.

agreed, you would have to knock a frame to guide the saw for table type slabs.

For me I would cut for turning....:U and forget the rest