PDA

View Full Version : new to routers

gardenworm
11th February 2008, 10:38 PM
Routers and stands for routers I have been reading about in this forum . Gee where to start , My first time on this site also. Is a triton 1400 model the best for a general use tool and do I still need a stand ? .
I gues I need to learn as much as I can as I have never used a router yet.
gardenworm from Rockhampton

johnc
11th February 2008, 10:41 PM
Both Makita and Hitachi are well worth a look. It depends on what you think you will be using it on, and the weight of the machine will have some bearing if its all hand held use, heavy is not always better.

gardenworm
11th February 2008, 11:20 PM
Thank you for your thoughts . I would like to do cabinet type of work . This is where my carpentry is leading at the moment
from Gardenworm

munruben
11th February 2008, 11:33 PM
The Triton 1400 would be a good choice but others will probably have other ideas. Welcome to the forum.

manoftalent
12th February 2008, 01:18 AM
I would probably get this one http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5890&cs=4519&pcs=fam

its strong enough for cabinet work and light enough for fine work check out this clip YouTube - Woodcraft Presents the Triton 2-1/4 HP Plunge Router

gardenworm
12th February 2008, 11:06 PM
The video was great .
I looked at some routers today but no store had a Triton here, however there is one small place that I have left to check out
The see through stand would be a good thing
Some one told me Triton was sold and the new owner does not use the triton name Is this true?

gardenworm
12th February 2008, 11:10 PM
Some small routers do not have a adjustable speed

manoftalent
13th February 2008, 11:00 PM
sometimes to high a cutting speed can leave a "burned" appearance on some woods as the cutting bit gets to hot .....it all depends on the kinda timber your using or going to be using

RufflyRustic
14th February 2008, 09:39 AM
For a general run-of-the-mill hand-held router, I went with the Makita 3620 for about $250-300 range. It's just the right weight for me to use. I'm not tempted to use it as a router in a table. My ultimate router for table use would most likely be a triton, to be honest.

cheers
Wendy

Honorary Bloke
14th February 2008, 09:47 AM
The video was great .
I looked at some routers today but no store had a Triton here, however there is one small place that I have left to check out
The see through stand would be a good thing

No, it wouldn't, unless built much larger and stronger. Only there for demo purposes.

Some one told me Triton was sold and the new owner does not use the triton name Is this true?

Partly true. Triton was purchased, but they are still being sold as a separate brand. Buy a Triton. :wink:

gardenworm
19th February 2008, 09:47 PM
Triton 2400
I have looked at this one Yes it was in that small hardware store I thought this one router seemed to be a good weight , however the store only had the one size router .
I will only be using soft wood I guess at this point in time . The router bits are very ex eeeeey but I guess they can be sharpened .......some how or can they As I said I am new to this tool
Another shop had a few trimmers of various brands , I wonder how much can be done with these small machines ? Are they any good for plywood ?

I certainly am greatfull to everyone here and this forum persa.There is nothing worse than buying a tool and finding out "down the timber" that it is ther wrong tool .

mmm
26th June 2009, 11:19 PM
check out your local tafe or adult ed for courses. or join a woodworking club.

Cruzi
28th June 2009, 03:01 PM
With routing a few things to ponder.

The cost of a router will end up being a very small portion of the total cost, bits very quickly add up.

Fixed speed routers are good, if you know their limitations, they can be very dangerous with the wrong bits.

Variable speed routers can also be dangerous if wrong speeds are used for bits.

For table use, a variable speed router is best option, you are not limited to what bit size you can use.

You will probably end up with a few routers, a mixture of different types.

Look up maximum bit speeds, its very important to safe operation. Remember, the maximum speed is only the upper limit, actual speed will vary with timber types and different types of cutter.

For your first bits buy the "El-Cheapo" sets that the Big B and other hardware stores have, its around 10-15 different bits for approx $50, then upgrade the bits you use the most, you wil damage bits, you will make mistakes and its better to do it on cheap bits that the good ones.

Good bits do cost a lot but there is benefits, they simply do the job better, you will find this out as you upgrade your cheapies.

A router is a very versatile tool and can be used for a wide range of jobs in a wide range methods, so enjoy, but be very, very careful, they can and do bite.

rrobor
28th June 2009, 06:02 PM
Can I advise you not to do as I did. I bought my first router and a small router table and being a careful sort of guy thought Id practice on some cheap pine first and make a door for under the barbique. The pine was wetish so after a rough dress I wanted to round the corners. Well through the smoke and haze I plodded on till in the end the router caught the wood and fired it like an arrow and knocked the bowl off the birdbath in the middle of the garden. Her indoors came outdoors to see if the workshop was on fire and what happened to her Xmas gift from Mother in Law
So if you use a router do not go near wet wood. It took me years before I was allowed to forget my unintended archery.

Mort
29th June 2009, 02:50 PM
"do I still need a stand "

Routers are hard to control by hand. A stand or router table not only helps with neater work but it is safer too.

tomod
30th June 2009, 11:45 AM
Yes you will need a router table for many processes (I have three set up permanently) but remember that you can get more use out of your router if you take time to understand how the template guides are used.

Tom