PDA

View Full Version : Mold/fungus

Little Festo
12th February 2008, 02:51 PM
I scored a Bunya Pine the other day. Spent yesterday dragging some of it up the hill and into the workshop. At the end of the day after milling and cutting into some turning blanks I put a piece onto the lathe and turned up a thinnish walled "pot", actually transluscent, surpised as it wasn't really all that thin. All went well, nice colour but today noticed some very small mold spots, it has been raining quite heavily and it's humid as well.

The wood looks really nice, turned well, but was VERY wet.

Does anyone know if there is a simple treatment for stopping the mold. I'm a bit hesitant about using bleach, don't want to bleach out the light creamy brown. Anyone used softsoap with an antibacterial??? I know that many turners like to soak wet turned pieces in soapy water.

Any suggestions welcome.

Peter

rsser
12th February 2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Peter,

I've found softer woods prone to bluestain (even in Melb.), and looking at Bootle there doesn't appear to be much you can do about it other than use really clean cutting tools at the off.

To stop it spreading try a 1:10 solution of bleach to water (eg. White King) and apply a couple of times a week apart. Then seal.

Good luck.

I've been eyeing off a Bunya Pine in our Botancial gardens but might find it difficult to snaffle it ;-}

Cliff Rogers
12th February 2008, 06:02 PM
I have that problem with mango, I find washing the sap out with lots of water works.
Hack up your blanks & chuck them in clean water.
Change the water often.
Rough turn them & chuck them back in the water again.
At this point it is a bit hit & miss but you have to keep them as clean as possible.
I have tried microwaving the roughed blanks, take it steady 'cos if it is gets too hot & dries too quick, it cracks. The had some success. (If they didn't crack)
I have tried freezing. (If the cook doesn't find them) This works if you them wash them again and finish them quickly.
I have tried sticking them in plastic & putting them in the fridge, not very good unless they are very clean.

artme
12th February 2008, 06:29 PM
Tou have discovered the source of spalting!
This is a feature highly prized by many rurners and pen turners in particular.
If it really bothers you there are plenty of mold and fungus killers to handle the situation.
Try to dry your remaining timber out as soon as you have treated it. If the pieces ae small enough, stick 'em in the microwave on defost for 10 mins or so, take out, let cool, repaeat. You might need to experiment a bit but it's doable.

Cliff Rogers
12th February 2008, 06:41 PM
There is a difference between blue-stain & spalt.
I usually like spalt, I don't see attractive blue-stain often.

rsser
12th February 2008, 07:58 PM
Zaccly.

Not all rot is noble rot.

hughie
12th February 2008, 11:21 PM
Not all rot is noble rot

Indeed.
are yes the slings and stones of outrageous blue stain......:U

Little Festo
12th February 2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the help. Bought some bleach today and will try that. Will post a pic of the "pot", colour is really quite nice, very classical.

I turned the piece wet and wet sanded it so it has become quite saturated. We have had so much wet weather, rained nearly all day today and when the sun does come out it's quite humid. Just hope I don't have a problem with cracking. The wood seems to be quite strong, I was able to go over the walls even though they were quite thin, no problems with chatter, held together well. Really nice to get those long ribbons when turning.

Peter

rsser
13th February 2008, 07:35 AM
'Blue ribbon' work ;-}

TTIT
13th February 2008, 09:02 AM
Peter, if you find a workable solution to the mould, be sure to let us know. With the weather we've had/got lately, I've got mould on half the stuff in my wood store that's so thick you could mow it :o:~. More so some woods than others - particularly my beloved Bumble tree - even the finished stuff is waving at me :C. On a higher note though, when Thunkners Hoop pine all went blue on us, I was told that it was only because we didn't remove the bark - Never had the chance to test the theory though.

rsser
13th February 2008, 03:00 PM
Mould and bluestain are of course two separate things.

Where wood moisture content is 20% or more mould may grow. Solution is to dry it asap and keep it below that moisture content. Clearly not easy where you are.

Bluestain is a fungal infection of the grain and is best treated by rapid milling followed by application of fungicide. My advice above is based on mildew treatment, and apologies for not being more accurate. Bootle recommends asap after milling a treatment of 4% weight-weight of sodium pentachlorphenate and 12% weight-weight of borax dissolved in water.

Hope this helps.

Grumpy John
16th February 2008, 09:06 AM
Bootle recommends.........

O.K. I'll bite, who or what is Bootle.

DJ’s Timber
16th February 2008, 09:13 AM
O.K. I'll bite, who or what is Bootle.

A sawmiller and woodworker's bible (http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/news/bush-telegraph-magazine/summer-2006/wood-in-australia-republished)

Grumpy John
16th February 2008, 10:51 AM
A sawmiller and woodworker's bible (http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/news/bush-telegraph-magazine/summer-2006/wood-in-australia-republished)

Ahh! Keith R. Bootle, I should have known. Just reserved a copy at the local library, off to have a squiz.

rsser
17th February 2008, 06:10 PM
Yup.

Bootle is g*d ;-}