PDA

View Full Version : GMF Bench Grinder Problem

Quasimodo
14th February 2008, 01:25 PM
My 8" GMF bench grinder is decidely unwell with sparks from the base and no rotation.

It seems the start capacitor in the base has swollen and probably shorted.

The wording on it is GMF Number 20287 - 440 watt 4 UF(microfarads).

I think GMF Electric Motors have closed down so I was wondering if there is any prospect of a replacement being available before I go to the trouble of taking it in for inspection. The capacitor has two wires on one side and one on the other if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions - I would like to get it repaired rather than buy some imported replacement if possible.

Vernonv
14th February 2008, 01:41 PM
If you can remove the capacitor, take it to a motor rewinder and see if they can supply a replacement.

Start caps are normally pretty standard type components, so you should be able to get a replacement.

watson
14th February 2008, 02:22 PM
WHat Vernon said.....as an extra precaution.....mark wire/terminal connections, so that if you don't get to it for a while......you know how that goes!!

Quasimodo
15th February 2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for your suggestions - I will try a motor rewinder but suspect their standard capacitors may be too big to fit into the space available in the base. I guess the capacitor could be re-located to a separate box mounted elsewhere though if all else fails.

I don't suppose anyone knows what happened to GMF who I think were based in Sydney - did they get bought out or just shut down - I was hoping someone may still have GMF parts left over from when they still traded.

JDarvall
15th February 2008, 04:57 PM
I'd just dump it and just buy another. Get a new one around 100 bucks.

China
15th February 2008, 10:03 PM
You won't buy GMF quality for a 100 bucks

JDarvall
15th February 2008, 10:25 PM
Each to their own.

To me, a grinders a grinder. turned by a motor. Stick a stone on it, and dress it true.

What I'm saying is...... better IMO to just go buy a more than adequate new one than stuffing about troubleshooting / re-wiring etc one thats not working. Makes more sense to me.

smokey2
16th February 2008, 07:49 PM
Down in Melbourne and Canberra "Jaycar" carry a decent range of 240V starter caps. Main thing is to get the correct size in uf as that governs how they work.
Had an interesting time last year removing a cap from a plastic cover for my Onga water pressure unit and was surprised to find Jaycar with a replacement cap. Siliconed the new one in and it works a treat.
Take care with the wiring otherwise it could spin backwards and remember it is 240AC so be careful.

BobL
16th February 2008, 11:49 PM
Each to their own.

To me, a grinders a grinder. turned by a motor. Stick a stone on it, and dress it true.

What I'm saying is...... better IMO to just go buy a more than adequate new one than stuffing about troubleshooting / re-wiring etc one thats not working. Makes more sense to me.

One thing I have noticed about newer cheaper grinders is how hot they get. I have a 1HP unit I bought in 1975 that I paid $30 for - yes it gets hot but nowhere near as hot as one I bought recently. I guess the manufacturers don't reckon on them being on for too long!