PDA

View Full Version : Lease application tips

hilux
15th February 2008, 10:39 PM
What are your best tips/rules when applying for a lease on a unit?
I have no history as a tenant, so is there anyway around this?

It aint easy in sydney cbd/eastern subs, what with so many people scrambling to get into these places and throwing down wads of cash just for security!! I need to do my homework on this one....

Any help is appreciated :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
16th February 2008, 08:49 AM
Hmm, let's see:

Even if you have never rented, have you owned a home and faithfully paid the repayments?

Follow a rental inspection with a letter highlighting the reasons why you'd be a good tenant - but only for the places you really want otherwise this could be a lot of extra work.

Turn up for the inspection on time and in appropriate attire - this shouldn't make a difference, but I'm sure, subliminally, it would :rolleyes:

cheers & Good Luck

Wendy

AlexS
16th February 2008, 03:41 PM
Turn up for the inspection on time and in appropriate attire - this shouldn't make a difference, but I'm sure, subliminally, it would :rolleyes:

As a former landlord, I assure you, it will.

The things a landlord worries about are
1. will you trash their house?
2. will you pay the rent regularly?
3. will you trash their house?
4. will you be a long term tenant?
5. will you trash their house?
6. will he be able to get you out when he wants the house back?

Anything you can do to ease their concerns will help you to get the house.

rrich
16th February 2008, 04:44 PM
There is one other thing that I can think of and I've used it on several occasions.

During the inspection tour, note one or two things that require repair. AND then follow the statement with something like, "That's only a few minutes and a **tool** or **part**. I can take care of that." (Of course, after you have moved in, do the repair.)

hilux
17th February 2008, 01:23 PM
As a former landlord, I assure you, it will.

The things a landlord worries about are
1. will you trash their house?
2. will you pay the rent regularly?
3. will you trash their house?
4. will you be a long term tenant?
5. will you trash their house?
6. will he be able to get you out when he wants the house back?

Anything you can do to ease their concerns will help you to get the house.

Tell me alex, what documents did you ask from your potential tenants during the application process? And are photocopies for everything ok? Do you ever need to see any of the genuine documents?

AlexS
17th February 2008, 03:55 PM
I asked for references and rang them. Also, checked that they worked where they said they did. I relied mainly on my own impressions. Recommendations from people you know can be OK, but if it goes long it can be awkward.
If they were presently renting, why are they moving? I didn't take too much notice of references from the current landlord. If he wants them out, he'll gove them a good ref. anyway.