PDA

View Full Version : Urea Formaldahyde Glue wanted.

tea lady
16th February 2008, 10:50 AM
Does anyone in Melbourne (S.E. suburbs) have some Urea formaldehyde glue going off in their shed that they would like to sell some or all of to me?

I have bought a small pack of the stuff from B^##!#&$ but it has small grit in it that I can see on the edge of these handles I am making. I don't really want to buy 5 Litres of it from AVSyntech as I can't envisage ever using it within the use by date with the tiny jobs I am doing. Maybe if someone wants to go halves with me would be good too.

DJ’s Timber
16th February 2008, 11:53 AM
Thought you could get these in a 1 or 1 1/2lt bottle, I bought one from Carbatec when they used to sell it.

My last 2 lts in my 5lt bottle has gone off completely, so will be needing to get some more soon, so could go halves with you as I have a few bench tops coming up soon.

tea lady
16th February 2008, 02:35 PM
Ah! Carbatech. No one has mentioned them before for glue. Will give them a call. AVSyntech did not sell it in smaller than 5 litre batches.

tea lady
16th February 2008, 11:08 PM
Well it seems that Carbatech only have epoxy now. On their web sight at least. Should ring them up I guess, but there are lots of threads about how they area bit off hand to deal with. Maybe I'll just bat my eyelids.:D Will try them tomorrow, or Monday.

echnidna
17th February 2008, 09:36 AM
does it need to be Urea Formaldahyde, expoxy is easy to get (and cheaper)

tea lady
17th February 2008, 08:53 PM
Epoxy, hmmmm! Perhaps my fear of it is unfounded. I just have memories of walking past the surfboard workshop in Torquay and nearly keeling over from the fumes. I seriously cannot handle them. Is it just sorfboards? Or is epoxy OK?

Working with Urea formaldahyde seems so easy. No fumes. No horrible sticky mess. Easy to spread. Can mix with a little PVA to get a little flexibility if wanted. Apart from the tiny grid in the Selleys stuff it is great.

DJ’s Timber
17th February 2008, 09:08 PM
Have you use the AVS UF tea lady? Because it has gritty stuff in it as well but it is very fine.

tea lady
17th February 2008, 10:31 PM
No, haven't used avs stuff because it comes in 5 ltr batch the smallest you can get now. It has gritty stuff too? Well pardon my french!!! I thought it might be smoother because their technical data sheets talk about adding fillers and stuff, and I presumed that Selleys had put some sort of filler in their product for the "home handyman" market. Hmm! Perhaps more calls to sales reps or something. Will further research tommorow.

malb
18th February 2008, 03:38 PM
Epoxy, hmmmm! Perhaps my fear of it is unfounded. I just have memories of walking past the surfboard workshop in Torquay and nearly keeling over from the fumes. I seriously cannot handle them. Is it just sorfboards? Or is epoxy OK? .

Tea Lady,

Surfboards use a polyester sheathing resin rather than epoxy. The poly has a fair dose of solvent to evaporate to you get the lovely stink from it. Modern epoxies are not normally stinky, but people can develop permanent sensitivity to it.

Having spent 20 of my first 28 years with surfboards, I know how you feel about the stink, but I found the dust from the poly and from shaping the foam blank was worse.

tea lady
18th February 2008, 04:31 PM
Well maybe I should try the epoxy. Off to Bunnings I go. Need dust masks too. I wonder if I'll only come out with those two things?:D

DJ’s Timber
18th February 2008, 06:33 PM
Don't think you'll find any decent epoxy at Bunnings.

I would be trying the Techniglue Two-Pack Epoxy from Carbatec or you can have some of mine to try it first, to see if its okay for what you want.

tea lady
18th February 2008, 09:16 PM
Doesn't Bunnings have everything?:oo:

Come and try some of yours? Hmmmmmm! Maybe that's an idea. I could show you what I'm doing and you could set me on the right direction. Nice drive from our joint over your way too. Will PM.

malb
19th February 2008, 06:49 PM
Worthwhile to raid the supermarket for a box of throw away latex gloves if you don't already have some in stock.

tea lady
19th February 2008, 11:59 PM
Yes.Got gloves. Ta!!:U

Did some more sanding today WITH dust mask ON. Didn't die.:D

Tomorrow try epoxy WITH dust mask and gloves. Don't expect I'll die then either. (Thanks DJ.:2tsup:)

Scally
20th February 2008, 12:03 AM
Is urea formaldehyde still available?

Carbatec in Sydney told me its availability was very restricted - I think they said due to Health and Safety reasons.
A couple of other places made similar comments.

A shame because I liked using it.

Now I use Titebond III or West epoxy when I need more glue up time or extra strength on tricky timbers.

I'd be interested to know if it can still be bought.

tea lady
20th February 2008, 06:10 PM
You can still get it from AVSyntech. But the smallest quantity is in 5 litre batches. I think they are keeping it for the commercial market. As usual, supplying small neich markets become uneconomic. I just didn't think I'd ever use that much within the use by date. (It goes off in a year, or something. Don't quote me on that.) I got a small amount of it (and I mean small) from Bunnings. Selleys High stress wood glue. It is working, as in gluing, well but has tiny grit that maybe only I can see, but I know its there. Ordinary PVA, and even PVA + had too much creep and was delaminating on the tight curves I am doing. Haven't tried epoxy yet. Will tomorrow.