PDA

View Full Version : Portable Thicknessers

hitch
18th February 2008, 12:14 PM
I have been researching portable thicknessers and looking at the posts in this forum. Seems the DeWalt offerings have considerable support and I'm really interested in the DW735-xe although the DW734-xe would also be suitable.

As I live in a built up area with close neighbours I should consider noise levels. Some reports are that the DW735-xe is "very" noisy and I wonder if the DW734-xe is any quieter and does it do as good a job?

I know that all thicknessers make considerable noise but wonder if the DeWalt thicknessers are any more noisy than other brands and how does the noise level compare to say a table saw in full ripping flight?

On the issue of the 735's original blades rapidly dulling has the replacement offering from infinity improved longevity?

Any info/comment will be greatly appreciated.:)

underused
18th February 2008, 02:31 PM
I don't have the DeWalt (Shedhand has the DeWalt, and the Infinity blades).
I have the Delta Benchtop. I've heard the DeWalt is a bit more noisy due to its built-in chip blower.
Generally all Universal Motor, thicknessers are noisy, there's no getting away from it:- If You are going to be running mostly hard woods, have a think about getting something with blades You can resharpen (if you have the means to resharpen long blades)
The good thing about the benchtop disposable blades, is changing them is a piece of cake...it takes a couple of minutes to change them, and they are accurately set.
I've run shed loads of hardwood through my Delta (its easily the best delta tool I have), and it won't die...I've also spent a lot of money on the blades:-
I have mine set up with a wixey thicknesser gauge, and can get repeatable thickness.
I often want something more heavy and rubust, but as long as it keeps working, I'll keep using it:)

mcarthur
18th February 2008, 04:15 PM
Generally all Universal Motor, thicknessers are noisy, there's no getting away from it:-

Once you've got the wood against blade ("pedal to the metal" :rolleyes:), I reckon they're all damned noisy :oo:! I had an ML392 which, while it was OK just turning over, screamed like a banshee once the blades started cutting. Either way, you'll need hearing protection. The induction motor will be quieter in the non-cutting time though, but given the neighbours are going to be listening to the cutting anyway (unless you just like that sound of a motor whirling :p), it's only a matter of when you make dat big um noise, not whether...

Rob

hitch
18th February 2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks underused. I'll have a look at the Delta next time I'm at Carba-Tec. I have read about the Wixey and it seems like a useful addition to the setup. I think a must for my ageing eyes. Would be good to hear from some of the guys, and gals, who have eperience with the DeWalts.

Thanks for your response - much appreciated.

hitch
18th February 2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks mcarthur. Love your sense of humor - the only whirling motor sound I really like is that of my 2002 V8 supercharged Jag (my boyhood dream and retirement treat) Of course you are right, I'll just have to choose my time to "make dat big um noise". I guess I do that now with my current equipment.

Thanks for your response - it made me smile

Toyboy
18th February 2008, 06:55 PM
Firstly...commiserations to hitch. Should have bought a Merc.:doh:

I owned a DeWalt for many years and it never let me down. I found the blades were easy enough to sharpen with the guide thingo that came with it. I can't remember the actual model, but it was the top of the range at the time (1997 - $1,000.00 wholesale).

Bloody noisy, but at least I couldn't hear the neighbours complaining while it was running.:U

I haven't used any other brand, but am currently looking for a new thicknesser with a reputation.
SWMBO reckons I don't need one at the moment....bah...humbug.:no:

yjnb
18th February 2008, 07:53 PM
I have had a dewalt 734 since about 1997. I bought 1 set of spare blades so i usually have a set on standby.I would described myself as a keen hobby woodworker mainly working in SEQ hardwoods (usually bought green off saw and home seasoned) and I am still on the original 2 blades so the ongoing cost for these has been nil. I would probably use the machine for 1 hour a week on average

i pull the covers off and clean everything once a year or so when the height adjustment gets a bit stiff, but have not had to do anything else except sharpen blades. I live in a small town and initially had some trouble finding a good "saw doctor", but have otherwise had no trouble with the machine.

I have found that the height adjustment is now very inaccurate, although it was good when the machine was new, perhaps I should try to adjust it, however I would probably use calipers if i needed a specific dimension.

Setting the blades when changing sets has been a challenge at times. The little plastic blade setting things are difficult to use and i have trouble getting parallel blades. I suspect this is common to all thicknesers though.

I do find this machine quite noisy, however having said that our local sawmill has built a booth around their thicknesser and it is still very loud. Again I think this is probably just the nature of the machine. I have had no complaints from our neighbors about the noise, however I try to be considerate about the times I operate it.

the machine generates a lot of shavings and you will probably need to factor in the cost of a dust collector or cyclone if you don't have one already. There is a very nice acoustic harmony when you start up both machines :U.

Don't be misled by the word "portable" in the name, this is not a machine you want to carry far.

Hope this helps

James

Toyboy
18th February 2008, 07:58 PM
Good point about 'portable'.
Anything that requires more than 2 'AA' batteries IS NOT PORTABLE.

hitch
18th February 2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks Toyboy. Hope SWMBO's judgement soon improves. Your comments re the durability of the DeWalt is encouraging and consistent with the research I have done. Keep a smiling.

hitch
18th February 2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks James I appreciate you sharing your experience with the 734. Sounds like it is a good machine and I guess any thicknesser would need some maintenance after 11 years of service if in fact others last that long - I'm impressed. I think the latest model 734-xe has disposable blades that you do not sharpen and method of installing them has been simplified. I will check the spec's again. Up 'til now I guess I have been looking more closely a at the 735-xe. Space availability is my demon - whatever machine I end up with it will have to live on a shelf (a low down shelf) when not in use.

hitch
19th February 2008, 01:49 PM
I've tracked down best prices on the DeWalt thicknessers and have been offered the 734 for $900 and 735 for $1050. Not much difference over the life of the machines.

So the question now is which one do I purchase? The write ups seem to imply the 735 is the better machine but with my zero experience of thicknessers, and pretty ordinary knowledge of machinery generally, it is hard for me to determine why. I can see that the 735 looks different but does it provide a better outcome in terms of ease of operation, thicknessed finish, ease of maintenance etc?

Don't know what the future will bring but for now will mainly be used in conjunction jointing functions.

Any comment and advice re the two would be very much appreciated.

mat
19th February 2008, 02:18 PM
I have a 735 so I am probably biased. I bought it as the 3 blade cutterhead, dual speed and chip extraction are all pluses. The footprint and standard bed size are also larger giving a better base. You can buy the extension tables but I simply made my own extended bed. The stability of the upper vs lower sections is also better as the four posts are spread apart and are all "threaded" for raising lowering and "stability"
The finish of the timber coming out of the 735 is fantastic.

A bit on the heavy side for portability, but they are probably all on the heavy side.

hitch
19th February 2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks Mat. I can understand all that. Hadn't thought about the lower profile of the 735 providing improved stability which I guess could, at times, be an important difference. Thanks again.

mat
19th February 2008, 03:47 PM
I got a spare set of blades with my 735 which meant 4 sets as they are reversible. I have had the machine about 2 years and haven't even flipped the first set yet.

hitch
19th February 2008, 04:27 PM
Wow that's pretty good and encouraging.

Mat, can you tell me the the physical dimensions (H,W,D) of the 735 please. Just spoke to DeWalt and, can you believe it, they can't tell me!! Also spoke to a couple of retail outlets and they don't know either and don't have a machine out of the box to measure.

hitch
19th February 2008, 07:47 PM
Mat does not appear to have been back online today so wondering if any other owner of the DeWalt 735 can provide me with the physical dimensions of the beast.

I know perhaps a strange question but just one of the challenges of having to share my work area with two cars. Space is a real issues and I have to be inventive in keeping equipment mobile when in use and well stored out of the way when not in use.

So if anyone can provide the dimensions of the 735 it will help me to organise (reshuffle the shed) a suitable storage space in advance of purchase. You may note from my previous post that DeWalt were unable to give me the dimensions.

Thanks

Toyboy
19th February 2008, 08:39 PM
Hi hitch.
The dimensions are: 24" x 22" x 19". Weight: 100 lbs.

The alternative would be to leave the Jag outside.:doh:

Toyboy
19th February 2008, 08:46 PM
Hi again hitch.
I actually went back to double-check your post....AFTER I'd replied, and noted that the info I supplied was in fact for the 735 as opposed to the 'XE'.
Hope I haven't misled you.
Errol.

hitch
19th February 2008, 09:19 PM
Geeeeees Errol, you know how to build a bloke up just to let him down.

Thanks for the response and I would imagine it's probably not far off the pace at 610 x 559 x 483mm and 45kg. I know the 735ex weighs 41kg so your numbers gives me confidence that you may be runner up closest to the pin.

When I get the REAL numbers I'll let you know.

Hey how did you like my conversions - not just a pretty face!!

Thanks again

Ian

Toyboy
19th February 2008, 09:23 PM
Smarty pants. :D
I was in a hurry??????:doh:

Still looking....looking.....looking.....

Errol.

hitch
19th February 2008, 09:30 PM
Funny - that's not what my better half calls me.

Ian

underused
19th February 2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Hitch,
Have You tried asking Black & Decker for the dimensions? I think they are in charge of DeWalt these days

hitch
19th February 2008, 10:31 PM
Hey Errol, I just googled Dirranbandi and boy you'r way out in the sticks. What a great life you must lead. Closest I've been to that part of the world is Cunnamulla many years ago. For 4-5 years back in the late 60's early 70's my brother was the Post Master and ran the manual telephone exchange at Engonia. I visited him there a number of times and got to go out on the mail run with him a few times. Did hundreds of K's in the day visiting properties along the way - what great people. He had good friends who owned the Pub (or one of them I guess)at Cunnamulla. Ha but that was half a lifetime ago!! Keepa smiling and enjoy the good life.

Ian

PS. Stop looking for those DeWalt demensions - I can't find them anywhere on the net, Dewalt don't know and retailers I have contacted say they don't have them out of the box to measure - strange me thinks.

hitch
19th February 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks Underused, good suggestion. I'll try them tomorrow if the answer doesn't come from some kind 735-xe owning forum member/visitor before then.

mat
20th February 2008, 09:09 AM
Hitch, have a look at this thread. I have a picture of my setup with the 735. The trolley is on castors and sits up against the garage wall under the shelves and the car fits in as well.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=47632&highlight=infinity+blades

Toyboy
20th February 2008, 10:12 AM
Hitch, I can't find anything either. All I have to offer from here is:
It's yay high by about this much wide and a bit narrower than that and it's a tad heavy.
Yep, Dirran is a nice spot. I'm on a term transfer arrangement here for awhile, but it's impossible to get a hold of any timber. Whenever we need anything important (timber, tools etc.), it is a non-stop 5 hour drive each way to Toowoomba which we do regularly.

Toyboy
20th February 2008, 10:18 AM
Hey Mat, go and measure your 735 for Hitch.....please.:D

The poor bugger is going ga-ga over this and it'll be on your head if he does anything silly.:o

hitch
20th February 2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks Toyboy - Love that name - does it refer to tool toys or have some other meaning!?

Thanks for the latest measurements, sure to make a beaut fitting location for the machine now.

Toowoomba 5 hours - just up the road. Boy if we travel that far it's planned for a week, we take a cut lunch and some sleeping gear just in case. Ha, that's the usual joke but you know I live about 25k's north west of Sydney and some days at "peek hours" it can (or did when I was working) take an hour plus to get there! What a drag.

Thanks with your assistance with Mat, I'll follow him up too.

Cheers

Ian

mat
20th February 2008, 11:12 AM
Machine is at home and I'm at work so can't measure it up until tonight. However I dont think there is any difference in size between the 735 and the 735xe

hitch
20th February 2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks Mat - looks good. I would hope to make something like that and I think I might just have the right under shelf location for it - perhaps some small alteration required. But I wont know 'til I can find out how big the b....y thing is. Seems One is only allowed to look at the box before purchase where I live!

Can you please be a pal and run a measure over it when you get a chance. Would be much appreciated.

I ain't no drama queen - just get frustrated and determine when I cant get info that the manufacturer/sellers should have at their fingertips. Shame, shame.

End of my self interest rantings for now. I'm off to the dentist. Joy oh joy.

hitch
20th February 2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks Mat. I will look forward to your confirmation of the measurements.

I really appreciate it.

mat
20th February 2008, 11:21 AM
Had a quick look on the web. several sites say 24 inches x 22 inches x 18.8 inches

You could ring Dewalt on
technical assistance 1800816900 to check

Toyboy
20th February 2008, 11:23 AM
Mat. Pull a sickie, it's worth it in this case.:rolleyes:

My username refers to the fact that I collect tools or 'toys' as SWMBO refers to them as. At my age, it's difficult to imagine any other connotation.:B But then again......

hitch
20th February 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks Mat. I couldn't find any site/posts that gave dimensions - what a clever fella. Can you point me to that info so I may learn - may not make such a pest of myself in this forum next time.

hitch
20th February 2008, 02:12 PM
Mat, I did ring DeWalt technical support and it was them (the techo) that told me they didn't know! Can you believe it!!!

mat
20th February 2008, 02:48 PM
I just googled DW735 dimensions. Both these pages have the dimensions
They are US but no reason to believe they are differently sized to Aust but I will check tonight for you.

The XE just denotes an Australian version (240V Aust plug etc).

http://www.hardware-store.com/1-551236-B0000CCXU8-DeWalt_DW735_15_Amp_13_Inch_Benchtop_Planer.html

http://www.shop-power-tools.com/item-B0000CCXU8/DEWALT-DW735-13--Thickness-Planer.html

hitch
20th February 2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks Mat. I've learnt something - what a great day. I don't (didn't) have the google search knowledge or experience to think about/ know to include the specific (dimensions) parameter in the search. Obviously that's the way to do it although beats me why a search on DW735xe didn't also bring it up. Live and learn. Thanks.

In the picture you posted of your machine it looks as though you have extention in and out feed trays. Are they the optional extra from DeWalt or your construction?

Thanks again

Ian

mat
20th February 2008, 03:49 PM
Ian

It is a melamine coated board that goes straight through the machine rests on the thicknesser bed and then is attached (screwed) to the trolley. The machine itself is also bolted to the trolley. The whole extended bed is one piece giving in and outfeed support with dimensions greater than the optional tables you can buy from dewalt. The melamine is nice and slippery for the timber to slide against. You lose 12mm of potential height but if I ever needed to thickness to the full potential of the machine I would simply unscrew the melamine board. I've never had to do this yet.

hitch
20th February 2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks again Mat. That seems a really good and cheaper option and I guess assists greatly with any snipe issues.

Ian

mat
20th February 2008, 07:34 PM
Actual measurements 20.5 inches x 22.5 inches (without crank handle) x 14inches (lowest setting) ie height of corner posts.

I store my machine with the crank handle removed. Easy to put on/off with T handled allen key driver supplied and stored in top of machine.

hitch
20th February 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks very much Mat. You are a champion.

Ian

ciscokid
22nd February 2008, 01:45 AM
I'm coming in a bit late here, but I thought I would share my experience for what it is worth. After researching both machines, I went with the DW734. I got it for $350 U.S. vs $500 for the DW735. It is single speed, but has built in infeed and outfeed extensions. I store it under my workbench and set it on a thick board across two saw horses when I need to use it. It weighs about 90 pounds. Not too bad. I've been running the out of it for three years now with no problems. The blades cost $50 U.S. a set and are reversible so you get two uses out of them. They are very easy to change and the necessary tools are built into a handy tray right on the unit. I am on my third set, but I run some very unforgiving timber through my machine. I find that a fresh set of blades is most helpful when planing highly figured timber like curly maple or birdseye maple. The finish coming right out of the machine is very good. You can start sanding at 220 with this finish. Snipe, while present, is minimal and only seems to affect the last two inches of a board. I have been known to run boards through it on their edges to square them up and have not had any problems with doing so. Were this machine to die tomorrow, I would buy another without hesitation.